Will the next tour be in stadiums or arena's in the United States?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't forget Axver's backyard for the Australia tour, and the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein of course for the return of Save The Whalers.

I'm also secretly hoping for an appearance at the 2014 Austin City Limits Music Festival, even though I know that the chances of that are near nil.

I have no feelings about stadium vs. arenas debate. For U2 I always do what is necessary to get close to the stage. My only reason for preferring arenas is because there is a greater chance they'll come to Ohio if it's arenas.

I have no feelings about stadium vs. arenas debate. For U2 I always do what is necessary to get close to the stage. My only reason for preferring arenas is because there is a greater chance they'll come to Ohio if it's arenas.

That's right, I think 360 was one of the first U2 tours to completely skip Ohio. It didn't help that the 2008/2009 recession in the United States was roughly centered on Ohio.

We can but hope for an Aussie leg in arenas. Of course they'll inevitably be persuaded to do stadiums. Perhaps I'd prefer that actually - less shows means shelling out for less tickets, and my wallet will be very happy about that. Either way I don't really care; I think anything bigger than theatres is too big and impersonal, so I'd be grumpy whether I'm at Rod Laver Arena or Etihad Stadium. The perk of arenas is simply more shows resulting in modest setlist variation.

Though actually there will be a treat for a select few Melbourne fans:

Don't forget Axver's backyard for the Australia tour, and the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein of course for the return of Save The Whalers.

I can exclusively reveal today that not only will U2 play a run of four concerts in my backyard, but at each show they will play one of their first four albums in full. Plus "Womanfish" every night to close. It's going to be a true spectacular! I'll cook a barbecue and everything. :happy:

I'll actually have very, very mixed feelings if U2 ever plays Austin City Limits. It's just, no. Like you want it to be pretzels and chocolate but it won't be.

However, Womanfish at a drunk ass backyard barbecue is a big yes.

I have no idea what this means.

I kind of see the point, but think Bomb tracks worked just fine in stadiums, NLOTH was conceived of separately from the 360 tour rather than in conjunction with it, most of its tracks weren't really stadium friendly whether the audience knew them or not. It may have played better in arenas, where the audiences would have been made up of a larger percentage of hardcore fans, then again a tour that was designed in conjunction with the music would have also helped.

I'm also secretly hoping for an appearance at the 2014 Austin City Limits Music Festival, even though I know that the chances of that are near nil.

Yeah, it took the biggest festival around 20 years to get them to make a special appearance, I kind of think Glastonbury was a throwback/swan song for them at festivals.

As an obsessed fan who has seen them multiple times, a festival set is always going to seem unsatisfying. I'd see them if I were already going but wouldn't plan a road trip around it or anything.

I have no idea what this means.

Sorry about that.

When U2 played songs from ATYCLB & HTDAAB in arenas the crowd seemed very much into them. Many songs lasted the entire length of the tour and some new songs were even added. Songs like Vertigo, COBL, BD, Elevation, Stuck, & Walk On were huge staples of the tour and the crowded were receptive.

Again, I think presenting these songs in arenas to the US crowds was better than playing new material to 50,000 + in a stadium.

The NLOTH songs never took off live in the US. Half of the songs were dropped in 2011.

Amphitheaters - early summer in US (just to be contrarian..)
Stadiums Rest of World (except for Axver's backyard

Arenas mean more shows in your area and more varied setlists. The big downside is that the last time they did arenas (Vertigo Tour) they had that awful randomized nonsense that determined whether or not you could be near the stage. That basically existed to stop the .05% of GA ticket holders from being in the front row at dozens of shows (i.e. the psycho fans), but fucked over everybody else that was just going to a single hometown show or two. How was it fair to let the diehards stand way in the back and let some casual fan zoom right into the inner circle five minutes before the band took the stage?

118221_original.gif

Arenas mean more shows in your area and more varied setlists. The big downside is that the last time they did arenas (Vertigo Tour) they had that awful randomized nonsense that determined whether or not you could be near the stage. That basically existed to stop the .05% of GA ticket holders from being in the front row at dozens of shows (i.e. the psycho fans), but fucked over everybody else that was just going to a single hometown show or two. How was it fair to let the diehards stand way in the back and let some casual fan zoom right into the inner circle five minutes before the band took the stage?

if you're a diehard and were lined up and didn't get selected for the lottery, you probably got a really good spot on the outer rail, which is arguably better in the very front inside the ellipse. so it's not as if the diehards get stuck way in the back. i liked the system.

if you're a diehard and were lined up and didn't get selected for the lottery, you probably got a really good spot on the outer rail, which is arguably better in the very front inside the ellipse. so it's not as if the diehards get stuck way in the back. i liked the system.

Well, that's only if you're a diehard that does not eat, drink or go to the bathroom for hours. For normal diehards, the first come first serve system into the heart on Elevation worked far better. Getting in the heart was almost like having a reserved seat in terms of ease in coming or going. Except of course if you're hugging a rail for hours without moving or going to the bathroom. The great irony is that the rail huggers are only briefly and just slightly closer to the band during the show compared to people in the middle.

Well, that's only if you're a diehard that does not eat, drink or go to the bathroom for hours. For normal diehards, the first come first serve system into the heart on Elevation worked far better. Getting in the heart was almost like having a reserved seat in terms of ease in coming or going. Except of course if you're hugging a rail for hours without moving or going to the bathroom. The great irony is that the rail huggers are only briefly and just slightly closer to the band during the show compared to people in the middle.

normal diehard is an oxymoron, right?

i've had no problem getting back to my spot outside or inside the heart or ellipse, on or off the rail. if you just decide not to be an asshole to the people around you and say, "hey, i gotta go to the bathroom, can you hold my spot for me?," i haven't found an issue. of course, it helps when you're a bad ass like me protecting the house, but what can you do?

I've never been inside the circle, heart, whatever. Is it like being backstage? (only without Gavin Friday spilling bean dip all over his shirt and eating all the mixed nuts).

Good ole' Gavin.

normal diehard is an oxymoron, right?

i've had no problem getting back to my spot outside or inside the heart or ellipse, on or off the rail. if you just decide not to be an asshole to the people around you and say, "hey, i gotta go to the bathroom, can you hold my spot for me?," i haven't found an issue. of course, it helps when you're a bad ass like me protecting the house, but what can you do?

Well, that's wonderful for you and I wish it was like that at the shows I went to, but in my experience, many people become pretty hostile and territorial in confined spaces. I had people threaten a friend of mine that he could not stop in front of them as we were making are way through the crowd. It was indeed a rail biter who threatened him. My friend is 6 foot 6 of course and if he had stopped in front of him, the rail biter would have no view of the stage.

Generally, unless you are with a group that is holding your one little spot, each time I would come back from the bathroom I would wind up in a new spot.

Oh, when I say normal diehard, I mean a diehard that does not threaten other people with violence because they stopped in front of them or hugging the rails for dear life and does not go to the bathroom or get anything to drink for hours in order to keep their spot on the rail. I think that is abnormal and is a characterstic of some of the tiny number of people who get spots on the rails.

Why would one need to stop in front of someone on one's way back to one's previous location? Makes no sense. By all means go to the bathroom grab a beer etc etc...but on your way back: Keep it movin please and thanks. :D

Why would one need to stop in front of someone on one's way back to one's previous location? Makes no sense. By all means go to the bathroom grab a beer etc etc...but on your way back: Keep it movin please and thanks. :D

Because down in these pit area's it gets extremely crowded. Just like when there is heavy traffic on the highway, things can come to a standstill, because several dozen people ahead of you, traffic has been blocked for whatever the reason. This happens in the pit area as well. At one point after coming from the bathroom I was body to body with four different people(at the same time) for about 6 minutes before the line or mass of people in front of me could move forward. That's the nature of the pit and moving around and its also one reason while rail biters starve and dehydrate themselves so that won't have to move through that as well as risking losing their rail spot.

That's why I don't follow a line of people, either on the hwy or on my way back to my spot on the floor - many times rail or close to it - at music events :)

You have a tight spot where there is only one way in or one way out often. In tight crowded places, everyone gets herded into lines or tight places. People move through places where they can get through, and that is where the lines form.

This was an issue on 360 in terms of being in the inner ring. It was not an issue for those inside the elipse on Vertigo or Heart on Elevation. I imagine it would have been an issue outside those area's though on those tours. On Vertigo and Elevation, if I did not get inside the heart, I just positioned by self near the mixing desk at the back of the floor.

Just saw a rumour of U2 doing COACHELLA and BONNAROO

But that would be weird, as Coachella is in April and Bonnaroo in June

at least there's a buzz :D

It would be nice if U2 threw in some pre tour shows like they did back in the day with the Elevation Tour. Irving Plaza was one of the best shows their was, it also allowed them to warm up as well, anybody that knows U2 the first leg of shows is generally the worst leg of shows because they are still learning the material.

I expect the first legs to be arenas in north america and then stadiums in europe and australia, coming back to north america to play stadiums in some of the more in demand areas. There could be as many as 10 legs on this tour if they put out a second album during the tour - I only wish. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom