Wild Irish Rose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There isn't a full version without the interview, but there are edits that remove the interview section (and obviously but unfortunately, the verse that Bono talks over). The one I have is pretty seamless.

Axver what is the running time on that one? I just want to check that I have that version. Thanks.

Now let`s all just hope that by the time the A.Baby remaster is released , Wild Irish Rose is on the extra disc!
That would be just:drool::drool::drool: ( the full version without the interview offcourse:wink: )
( Or would they put it on the R&H remaster extra disc? )

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Now let`s all just hope that by the time the A.Baby remaster is released , Wild Irish Rose is on the extra disc!
That would be just:drool::drool::drool: ( the full version without the interview offcourse:wink: )
( Or would they put it on the R&H remaster extra disc? )

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Yeah I've always wondered... where did Wild Irish Rose come from? What album is it an outtake from?

The song is from a documentary series, originally aired on the Beeb, and later released on VHS, about the influence of Irish music, called "bringing it all back home". The film spawned a 3-CD set of music featured in the documentary, but unfortunately, "Wild Irish Rose" was not included.

An un-interviewed-over version of this song is about as close to a Holy Grail as there is for the U2 fan.

-Mike

What's the runtime and where did you get it? :hmm:

4:47.

Can't remember where I got it? I remember years ago just browsing the web one day and came across it. I have it as an MP3 so could send it to you. Can you send MP3's via Hotmail? If not, could meet you on messenger and do a file transfer.

There isn't a full version without the interview, but there are edits that remove the interview section (and obviously but unfortunately, the verse that Bono talks over). The one I have is pretty seamless.

It runs for 4:50.

4:47.

Can't remember where I got it? I remember years ago just browsing the web one day and came across it. I have it as an MP3 so could send it to you. Can you send MP3's via Hotmail? If not, could meet you on messenger and do a file transfer.

You got the cut then. It lacks the middle verse. :) So it seems that this elusive full version still isn't found.

You got the cut then. It lacks the middle verse. :) So it seems that this elusive full version still isn't found.

It's the full version...the same one as was featured on the TV doc...but clean with no voiceover.

It isn't missing a verse? It does have a long middle section that has no singing (just the swirling synths that Bono talks over in the TV doc). These are the lyrics of the version I have along with middle section info:

In a field by a river
My love and I did lie
And on my naked shoulder
She too proud to cry
She said that I must leave her
An icy tear she froze
How could I melt the heart
Of a wild Irish rose

Well a gypsy she has made of me
A servant of the street
And back to bed I've traveled
To taste a love as sweet
Well the heart it knows no reasons
And reason never knows
As I lie with them I'm thinking
Of a wild Irish rose

Well I saw the city of angels
It brought a devil out in me
And Hell's hotel on sunset
Showed a whore no mercy
As the orange sky was screaming
From the roof I let her go
These are the dizzying heights that brought me
My wild Irish rose

(instrumental break 2:25-3:25)

Now red is the rose
That she laid on my grave
A life is what she wanted
And a life I surely gave
Like a hundred men before me
They lay lying here in rows
Young men, bloody
As a wild Irish rose

The full version is 5.30 minutes long.

I just had a look on YouTube...and you're right, there is a verse missing. Back to the drawing board then. It's been years since I saw that clip and always thought Bono spoke over the instrumental break. I'm going to hunt the full version down.

My 'edited' version certainly isn't edited from the TV doc version...it is clean with no audible cut or splice...and the sound quality is superb.

:) That's the version Ax was speaking of then. It's been circulating for a while. Damn, I had a wee bit of hope we'd get a full version after all.

Back
Top Bottom