Wichita 1983 gig... did it happen? How can we find out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I'm somewhat of a history buff in general, and especially that of bands I like, including U2. There seem to be conflicting reports on wether or not the June 7th gig in Wichita, KS was cancelled or not. Story goes that when U2 were forced to schedule a rain makeup show on June 6th in Boulder for those who couldn't make the Red Rocks show, this caused the Wichita show to be cancelled. However, some people say they remember being at the show, and that it was not cancelled. Surely there must be some way to prove if this happened or not.

Can't believe they didn't try to reschedule it or anything. Ticket sales must've been pretty bad, which I wouldn't doubt at all. Is this and Popmart Raleigh the only shows U2 have flat out cancelled and never rescheduled? They probably could've found someplace to reschedule that show as well, but didn't b/c of low ticket sales I bet.

:shocked: I didn't know U2 had a cancelled show in Wichita! Why didn't they ever come back? No wonder no one seems to like them around here. (I don't live in Wichita, but close enough.) They never established a fan base back then.

not to mention anyone can say they remember being at a show. oh hey yeah i remember seeing u2 in boston in 1981*, they were good. i remember hearing the ocean, 11 o'clock tick tock, out of control, good stuff.

*note: i did not exist at this point in time.

Yeah, especially with the internet people read back on things, and somehow it ends up as them being convinced they were actually there.

But yeah, I was totally at U2's first Dutch gig in Hattem, 1982. :yes: Totally! Even with my -7 years of age.

Is this and Popmart Raleigh the only shows U2 have flat out cancelled and never rescheduled?

I think there was a added Phili Popmart show put on sale and exchanges offered for seats at the first show. I think the same thing happened on Zooropa somewhere where the added show was announced but not needed and canned. I think the Joshua Tourbook announced an added JFK stadium show that was never put onsale.

1989, Lovetown Tour. Weren't two of the Dublin Point shows cancelled? I remember there were six announced... it was during all that "dear lord they are expensive as feck these tickets!!!!" hulabaloo that bent the Irish media's nose out of joint back then...

I think they were due to do two gigs pre Christmas.. then two afterwards finally, NY eve and NY itself on the radio..

I had the original itinerary in a copy of "Into The Heart" but tis gone alas..

Back
Top Bottom