Why U2's The Joshua Tree is Overrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edge is too derivative of himself.

Desire is U2's best ever single.

The Joshua Tree had a backlash.

:huh:

Damn. Someone (probably) got paid to write that article. Someone else also (probably?) got paid to edit it. Here I am working my ass off and eating peanut butter sandwiches. Life isn't very fair.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I like that this is supposed to be addressed to "fans of U2," as if there's shit that this irrelevant hack could say to change a U2 fan's mind regarding one of the band's classic albums.

"Oh yeah, hmm, now that I think about it, the Joshua Tree might be overrated. All those subjective opinions and grammatical errors really sold me."

rfhs405oucbtowiuntnp_zpsnucelfik.gif

If anything I'd argue that The Joshua Tree is probably under-rated these days. Its place among the "best album" lists has sort of fallen, probably because U2 have never been less cool than now (which is saying rather a lot). Once they're all dead every hack writer will go on and on about how great this album is.

"Couldn't even give their new music away?" - but they could and they did! It was a noisy minority that didn't like the fact that "preacher" Bono and his old band were "automatically downloading" music onto their phone.

I don't see how the Joshua Tree is overrated. It is one of the few albums out there that, for me, is genuinely timeless. Timeless in the sense it doesn't sound like it belongs to any particular era. It could have been released in the 70s or the 90s. That's a pretty remarkable strength.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Back
Top Bottom