Why the hell do so many people hate Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnCatKatie

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
It's come to my attention recently that there's a huge amount of people who for some reason or other say they hate Bono. I have no idea why. I've heard various reasons—that it's popular, that people in the media made bad lights of some things he/the band did, that it's because he's helping Africa.

Is there a specific reason or are they just sadly uninformed and all decided to hate him?

It makes me sad...

Because he's easy to hate. People who don't pay as much attention to Bono as we do assume that he's just a rich guy trying to gain brownie points by helping the poor and that he really doesn't care. And the occasional media reports questioning the validity of organizations like ONE or The Global Fund and portraying U2 as tax dodgers don't help. People read those things and come to a conclusion in their own minds and don't look into the matter any further. I know I've done that with other celebrities; I read something bad about someone and think "What a jerk," and I don't care enough to research it any further.

its cool to hate him

South Park and Family Guy said so.

But no really, it has become cool to hate Bono. People are so pressured by others around them, especially with the youth. It's the same thing with people with disabilities, people of minorities, gay people, etc. Not actually funny. People just do it because someone else they look up to did it. And it spreads like a wildfire.

Because he's easy to hate. People who don't pay as much attention to Bono as we do assume that he's just a rich guy trying to gain brownie points by helping the poor and that he really doesn't care. And the occasional media reports questioning the validity of organizations like ONE or The Global Fund and portraying U2 as tax dodgers don't help. People read those things and come to a conclusion in their own minds and don't look into the matter any further. I know I've done that with other things; I read something bad about someone and think "What a jerk," and I don't care enough to research it any further.

That's a pretty damn good explanation :up:
It's generally just ignorance/following the fashion trend of being cynical.
Also, i guess the concept of a rock star focusing on charity so much just irritates people.

I too have to wonder why the hate is so intense these days. I get Google Alerts about U2 news and whenever I visit a story on a newspaper site or blog, there's nearly always some awful comments. I've seen really extreme comments that are downright scary. One site had the trailer for Killing Bono and the comments were just awful, like "oh, i got really excited by the title", "it would only be a good movie if he dies at the end, preferably stabbed many times in a pool of blood". :sad:

People do this because they're ugly little jerks. Apparently they want to remind the world of how broken they are, then drag everyone else into their own puddle of misery.

And I have no clue how people wish for someone's death like that. The hell? :huh::angry::sad:

Last edited:
Because he's easy to hate. People who don't pay as much attention to Bono as we do assume that he's just a rich guy trying to gain brownie points by helping the poor and that he really doesn't care. And the occasional media reports questioning the validity of organizations like ONE or The Global Fund and portraying U2 as tax dodgers don't help. People read those things and come to a conclusion in their own minds and don't look into the matter any further. I know I've done that with other celebrities; I read something bad about someone and think "What a jerk," and I don't care enough to research it any further.
I agree with all of this.

He's Rich, he's famous, he's successfull, he got a beautiful wife and kids, leads a happy life, tries to help others in the meantime. What's there not to hate?

Its easier to hate new Bono rather than old Bono. A friend of mine used to make fun of me night and day about U2 saying if only they had a different singer. On my birthday he said ok your birthday present from me to you is to let you know i kind of actually like u2. People just dont like to admit they like them because they just see bono on stage with his sunglasses hopping around at 50 and would rather think hes a tool. I think it just starts with the sunglasses and goes from there honestly.

We humans have a tendency to knock those at the top. It all springs from jelousy and ignorance. U2 have been at the top of their tree for 25 yrs now....they are an easy target
I dare say bonos repetitive preaching pisses people off too.....i know it had gotten to me at times.

If I didn't love u2 i'd find him to be quite annoying
If i wasnt a u2 fan...i doubt ad even notice Bono to be honest..i mean...im quite up to date with everyday news and current events and he hardly ever shows face. Its not like he is in our faces all the time, or shoved down our throats...well...certainly not here in the UK

I'm a big fan, love his singing, but I have tuned out his interviews and stage banter quite some time ago. The number of quality indepth interviews with him in the past 30 years I can count on one hand. I have no interest in Bono the music salesman.

Even Bono has called himself an egomaniac on more than one occasion.

I don't give a crap about Chris Martin droning on about fair trade because I'm not a Coldplay fan (in fact I can't stand him or his band). And that's interesting. I can honestly say that I hate Chris Martin but I don't have a rational reason why. I have no reason to hate him, I just do. I guess if pop stars you're not a fan of stick their heads above the parapet they just come across as smug and disingenuous and I think that's where the Bono hate comes from.

Media overxposure (especially since he started his activism) combined with the fact he's a part of the biggest band on the planet since 1987.

I don't give a crap about Chris Martin droning on about fair trade because I'm not a Coldplay fan (in fact I can't stand him or his band). And that's interesting. I can honestly say that I hate Chris Martin but I don't have a rational reason why. I have no reason to hate him, I just do. I guess if pop stars you're not a fan of stick their heads above the parapet they just come across as smug and disingenuous and I think that's where the Bono hate comes from.

Oh I do. He's an arrogant twat and I can't stand the sound of his voice. :wink: But ofcourse, many people say that about Bono as well.

I too have to wonder why the hate is so intense these days. I get Google Alerts about U2 news and whenever I visit a story on a newspaper site or blog, there's nearly always some awful comments. I've seen really extreme comments that are downright scary. One site had the trailer for Killing Bono and the comments were just awful, like "oh, i got really excited by the title", "it would only be a good movie if he dies at the end, preferably stabbed many times in a pool of blood". :sad:

I do find it insane how hateful these kind of comments can be. I mean, i'm sure they're saying it because it's trendy, and wouldn't do it in real life (hell, most of these people would probably be excited if they saw Bono in person), but nonetheless i think it's deeply troubling that having such violent hatred towards someone is so trendy. Hate is cool... and that's awful.

I'd think such anger would be bad even if it was directed towards someone less likeable (off the top of my head, George Bush), but these people hate Bono because he's charitable? really?
They see an influential person who's done well for himself trying to help others, and all they can think about is how much they want this person to die? Even if he's rich, it's stupid to believe Bono could single-handedly solve world poverty. It's such a sad commentary on society that this is the reaction that so many people have to Bono's campaigning.

Media overxposure (especially since he started his activism) combined with the fact he's a part of the biggest band on the planet since 1987.

IMO, it's all personality based.

People hated Bono before all the activism stuff started around the time of Netaid. Other celebs are as big as Bono and don't get the same vitriol.

Personality ? Plenty of celebs have far more foul personality stories, and get less hate.

Other celebs aren't in a band as big as U2, and don't get front page photos with presidents...

Back
Top Bottom