Why the hell do so many people hate Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The earlier a U2 fan can realize that not everyone needs to like Bono, and that they don't need to defend him in every backwater comments section on the internet, the sooner that fan can move on to exciting prospects like 'reality'.

:sexywink:

and also the fact that 90% of the haters are just using the "Bono" name to gain more attention to their cause/article/column/blog. :huh:

http://www.iol.co.za/tonight/news/local/u2-spat-was-a-publicity-stunt-says-hofmeyr-1.1027979

U2 spat was a publicity stunt, says Hofmeyr
February 17 2011 at 01:31pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afrikaans singer Steve Hofmeyr has admitted that his much publicised rant about U2's lead singer Bono was nothing more than a publicity stunt.

According to EyeWitness News reports, the Pampoen singer also said that while he doesn’t have any regrets about his outburts, he does regret missing out on the U2 concert on Sunday night.

Hofmeyr has however acknowledged that he would go to any lengths to focus attention on the deaths of Afrikaner farmers.

He tweeted on Thursday: “Off course its a P Stunt. For a cause Ive sold my soul to.And Bono slipped up.Forget me.Check genocide.Thx.Im elated with his explanation.”
:down:

It really gets me too when people say a lot of things againts Bono, and I remember that when I was younger, I get crazy and angry when my acquaintances and friends said that Bono is an hypocritical and he pretends to be an activist. But now I understand that no matter how much scandal I make (or even defending him with strong arguments), people´re not going to stop to criticize Bono, because they think that they have all the rights....

Nobody actually can say they know Bono. All we know is he has a big Ego. Tonnes of people hate Obama and yet he comes across as a decent guy through the media. But behind the lens, Bono or Obama could be assholes or nice guys - you just can't know. But people are often judgmental one way or the other.

People hate on Bono because he has an ego, he puts himself out there, and (admit it) sometimes he can be pretty easy to make fun of.

Not that I hate him, he's always seemed like a really cool guy. Just trying to come up with some reasons why there are so many people who dislike Bono (and U2, for that matter) for no reason. :shrug:

I agree totally that if some people dislike Bono or group, you cant battle it out to try and make them like him, within like an hour.

it just dont happen

think of the groups or solo artists Bono/U2 fans dont like, would you want to be mind-fuked into liking them/that person?

no, you'd be pretty pissed off at someone's attempt.

dont give what you wouldn't want to receive..:D

someday U2 wont exist, but as history in the music industry.

Off topic, but I've always been curious about this, but why do you always spell 'fuck' as 'fuk'?

:hmm:

She's from Belfast. Not to generalize, but they tend to type how they talk with a ton of shorthand, complete with all of the akk, wee, fs, etc. etc.

Haha, sorry if you take offense to that mad1, don't mean it that way. Just an observation from all of my family/friends back in N. Ireland.

Nobody actually can say they know Bono. All we know is he has a big Ego. Tonnes of people hate Obama and yet he comes across as a decent guy through the media. But behind the lens, Bono or Obama could be assholes or nice guys - you just can't know. But people are often judgmental one way or the other.

I disagree. A lot of people have met Bono in Dublin or France or wherever, without cameras and whatshowever. And pretty much every single report I've heard about those meetings was that he's one of the nicest and most down to earth people you could meet.

I hate Bono for what he did to Cher.

And she's not his only victim, either

chastity-bono.jpg

:tsk:

Laura Mullen knows people. :shifty:

When people say they hate Bono, they mean that they hate his media persona. He does seem like an asshole with an ego that is bigger than the recent quality of his work suggests. He comes across as phony, and is always in the media hanging out with politicians, and who doesn't hate politicians? When people see him they think of a pop star that used to be good and is now a part of the global power structure. Add to that a general skepticism of the charitable motives of the super rich...

But if you read the interviews (read, not listen) and listen to his words he seems like a decent enough guy, and no one has anything bad to say about him. He's probably pretty fucking crazy from the fame (the lyrics on Pop are pretty negative about the whole thing, and the 90s were spent satirizing it) I'd like to meet him. I think he'd be a nice guy.

I'd get him drunk and make him admit Bush II was an extraordinarily evil fucker.

I love Bono but I disagree with him taking his business out of Ireland merely for financial purposes.
Plus he rages on and on about giving your wealth and hard earned dollars in helping Africa..
while his daughters carry $2500 purses and wear $1200 Louboutin shoes and he drives a Maserati. they may have SAID they don't spoil their daughters... but that is not entirely true.
I don't expect Bono to go poor- but man... he could sure tone it down a little.

I was relieved when Aung Suu Kyi was released, my first thought, "Now we don't have to sit there and listen to her redundant story." I used that time as my pee time. :)

A little less Bono... and a little bit more rock n roll.

I'm sure his bandmates agree with me.

But none the less. I love Bono. Always will.

I disagree. A lot of people have met Bono in Dublin or France or wherever, without cameras and whatshowever. And pretty much every single report I've heard about those meetings was that he's one of the nicest and most down to earth people you could meet.

I agree with 'tis post

I love Bono but I disagree with him taking his business out of Ireland merely for financial purposes.
Plus he rages on and on about giving your wealth and hard earned dollars in helping Africa..
while his daughters carry $2500 purses and wear $1200 Louboutin shoes and he drives a Maserati. they may have SAID they don't spoil their daughters... but that is not entirely true.
I don't expect Bono to go poor- but man... he could sure tone it down a little.

I was relieved when Aung Suu Kyi was released, my first thought, "Now we don't have to sit there and listen to her redundant story." I used that time as my pee time.
smily.gif

A little less Bono... and a little bit more rock n roll.

I'm sure his bandmates agree with me.

But none the less. I love Bono. Always will.

I'm always surprised as to how people claim to know whether they know someone is wearing designer from non designer clothing. What are you? Walking catalogs? You can only tell the difference from designer in the subtle details in the way its made such as stitching close up. You can't tell the difference at a distance. Besides, maybe they saved up for it and paid for it themselves.

prob because a U2 fan will get offended if someone doesnt like them, or Bono.

its like, annoyance that someone does not have the 'same taste'

could happen for a lot of things, other than U2, as you know...

...sometimes just resulting in a big tit fight, which is a massive waste of time.

I agree with 'tis post

I'm always surprised as to how people claim to know whether they know someone is wearing designer from non designer clothing. What are you? Walking catalogs? You can only tell the difference from designer in the subtle details in the way its made such as stitching close up. You can't tell the difference at a distance. Besides, maybe they saved up for it and paid for it themselves.

Same here. I wouldn't know the difference. Since I don't wear designer clothing.

I don't understand why people hate Bono. Life is too short. Always be positive and help those around you.

Back
Top Bottom