Why the hell do so many people hate Bono? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-15-2011, 02:38 AM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,376
Local Time: 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
i guess you're not a parent then?

wow... just wow...
? I'm 18. I never said all kids are stupid, and I never said having kids is stupid. This has nothing to do with being a parent. I never implied that the concept of kids are stupid. Just that if you survey kids today, they're more ignorant than ever.

Ignorance = stupidity in my opinion.
__________________

__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 AM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
mama cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,906
Local Time: 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
? I'm 18. I never said all kids are stupid, and I never said having kids is stupid. This has nothing to do with being a parent. I never implied that the concept of kids are stupid. Just that if you survey kids today, they're more ignorant than ever.

Ignorance = stupidity in my opinion.
lol you really do like to generalise don't you!

you said "kids are stupid", which is quite the blanket statement

i never suggested you said "having kids is stupid" or that you implied that "the concept of kids are (sic) stupid"

speaking as a parent myself, i do not think kids are stupid...
__________________

__________________
mama cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:14 AM   #63
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
? I'm 18. I never said all kids are stupid, and I never said having kids is stupid. This has nothing to do with being a parent. I never implied that the concept of kids are stupid. Just that if you survey kids today, they're more ignorant than ever.

Ignorance = stupidity in my opinion.
Sounds like you're basing this on some schmucks you went to high school with. "Kids" are more informed than ever thanks to the internet and all that jazz.
__________________
The Sad Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:42 AM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
blueeyedgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bottom of the earth
Posts: 6,774
Local Time: 09:12 AM
Why restrict stupidity to the youth anyway? Beauty may fade, but dumb is for life...
__________________
blueeyedgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #65
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
? I'm 18. I never said all kids are stupid, and I never said having kids is stupid. This has nothing to do with being a parent. I never implied that the concept of kids are stupid. Just that if you survey kids today, they're more ignorant than ever.

Ignorance = stupidity in my opinion.
Perhaps you should hang out with other people at school bro... seems like your friends are idiots.


There's plenty of decent people around these days. You just have to find them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
theedgeu2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond the greatness of Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree while eating brownies. In The Hive™.
Posts: 4,848
Local Time: 06:42 PM
Kids today are ignorant about a lot of things and then very in the know about other things. They have the resources but I guess choose not to know about certain things. And I don't know about anyone else but does anybody have friends who think it's very uncool to like something that's old? If a song is even as old as five years my friends will just go off about how it's old and how it shouldn't be listened to. If it isn't current then I guess it doesn't exist in their minds. This frustrates me quite a bit but I never really let it get to me. I'll listen to what I like and they'll do the same, but I still don't like the concept of "that song is old so therefore we shouldn't listen to it".

(I've always wondered what their reaction would be like if I could take them in a time machine back to the late 70s/early 80s.)
__________________
theedgeu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
AnCatKatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: pearl jammin'
Posts: 6,876
Local Time: 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeu2 View Post
And I don't know about anyone else but does anybody have friends who think it's very uncool to like something that's old? If a song is even as old as five years my friends will just go off about how it's old and how it shouldn't be listened to. If it isn't current then I guess it doesn't exist in their minds. This frustrates me quite a bit but I never really let it get to me. I'll listen to what I like and they'll do the same, but I still don't like the concept of "that song is old so therefore we shouldn't listen to it".

(I've always wondered what their reaction would be like if I could take them in a time machine back to the late 70s/early 80s.)
I know people like that, mostly who art my friends, most notably the people at the other side of the room in AP Art who whine when my iPod's on speakers D: Then again, most of my friends tolerate my music and it doesn't really matter whether they do or not; I'm fond of them whether they listen to nothing but stuff from the last year or so or not. Although it saddens me sometimes, but nearly all music has its merit.

Heh...I've wondered what would happen if the whole high school was in the 70s or 80s. We would have wonderful...or probably better, at least...music at dances and such...
__________________
AnCatKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #68
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,441
Local Time: 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
And yet you're not of the youth. You really seem to be giving people a lot more credit than they deserve. Kids are stupid. I bet you could poll at least half of kids in high school and they couldn't tell you one damn thing about Bono. Other than maybe 'he's that humanitarian guy with the sun glasses'.

You are acting as if I'm coming off with this huge bias, when in reality you just like to tell people they're wrong. Hate to break it to you, but people are ignorant. Especially today's youth. More ignorant than ever before (or so it seems).

I'll admit to being ignorant when it comes to certain things. This is not one of them. You want ignorant? Today, numerous times, I tried to spark a conversation in 3 different college classes about the Grammy's. I got an astounding 'never heard of them before' from every single student but ONE. Of 65 students! Granted, not all said something, most of them admitted to not knowing.

You come from a time where Bono was well known. Bono was cool. Whatever it was. You're biased. Kids these days have no reason to know who Bono is. But they are highly susceptible to peer pressure and to do what's 'cool'.
oh where to begin.

of the youth? really?


first off i'm 30, not 90. and when i was "of the youth?" people hated bono then, too. for the same reasons i presented before. and bono and u2 in general are both kinda sorta pretty well known with people of all ages, including those who are of the youth.

secondly... i don't know what college you're going to where only 1 out of 65 people have heard of the grammys, but you might want to look into transferring. also, if you randomly went up to 65 different people, they probably just thought you were strange and didn't want to talk to you.

i don't like telling people they're wrong... i do like having discussions, and just blankly agreeing with people? yea, not much of a discussion. so if there's something that i do disagree with, i'll state it. if there's something that i agree with 100%, the discussion isn't going to be very long. last i checked that's kinda what message boards are for.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #69
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,441
Local Time: 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
It's even worse than the one I had with Headache the other day, and I'm not even sure he knew I was arguing with him.
i often don't even know where i am
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,585
Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Okay... people hate bono because of his ego, because of the sunglasses, because of the preaching, because a lot of people hate celebrities that make a lot of money and tell people about poverty, and some people just don't like people who are really popular.
I'm not completely sold on the "success = automatic hatred" argument.

Pink Floyd and ACDC have done tours that are "U2esque" money wise, but they haven't received 1/100th the vitriol that Bono has received.
__________________
U2FanPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #71
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,441
Local Time: 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2FanPeter View Post
I'm not completely sold on the "success = automatic hatred" argument.

Pink Floyd and ACDC have done tours that are "U2esque" money wise, but they haven't received 1/100th the vitriol that Bono has received.
neither one has a lead singer as in your face as bono. they sort of do their thing then go away.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,585
Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
neither one has a lead singer as in your face as bono. they sort of do their thing then go away.
I agree that it's "Bono's public personality + success = hated"

I disagree to those that say it's "success = jealousy/hatred"

It is interesting that Springsteen doesn't get that level of vitriol, especilally afte his GW Bush era political comments.
__________________
U2FanPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #73
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,441
Local Time: 05:42 PM
i'm a huge bruce fan, but i had an issue with him when he remained silent about an enormously corrupt democratic governor in new jersey at the same time he was on the vote for change tour... short of that, yea... bruce kinda just hides on the jersey shore when he's not on tour or promoting an album.

that's the thing with bono... he's out there... always. he's everywhere. even when u2 is "off cycle" he's still there in everyone's face.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,585
Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
i'm a huge bruce fan, but i had an issue with him when he remained silent about an enormously corrupt democratic governor in new jersey at the same time he was on the vote for change tour... short of that, yea... bruce kinda just hides on the jersey shore when he's not on tour or promoting an album.

that's the thing with bono... he's out there... always. he's everywhere. even when u2 is "off cycle" he's still there in everyone's face.
Bono has been selective about causes as well. He didn't ream Bush during Katrina - or even speak directly on the topic very much. In late 2004 he dodged EVERY Kerry/Bush question which was startling compared to ZooTV. His ONE campaigning created some delicate friendships Bono didn't want to break which even other band members publically questioned.
__________________
U2FanPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,376
Local Time: 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
lol you really do like to generalise don't you!

you said "kids are stupid", which is quite the blanket statement

i never suggested you said "having kids is stupid" or that you implied that "the concept of kids are (sic) stupid"

speaking as a parent myself, i do not think kids are stupid...
You never suggested I said that... or implied it...

but then you go ahead and talk about how you are a parent and therefore kids are not stupid?

You might not have a stupid kid... but you're of the minority when that's the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Sounds like you're basing this on some schmucks you went to high school with. "Kids" are more informed than ever thanks to the internet and all that jazz.
Those who approach the internet and all that jazz (and not to toot my own horn) such as myself. Just because it's a powerful resource doesn't mean it's used. And even in the event that it is used, what do you think people are looking up? Pop culture. Justin Bieber. Eminem. Jay Z. Lil Wayne. Drake. Lady Gaga. So yeah, they know more about what the enjoy, but they also know it in a very small degree being that they dont know anything outside of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Perhaps you should hang out with other people at school bro... seems like your friends are idiots.
There's plenty of decent people around these days. You just have to find them.
Well, my roommates are idiots but that's another story. Rather back in high school one year ago, which is what I'm basing this off of, there was an incredible amount of ignorance. In fact, ignorance that wasn't just specific to young people. i.e. vote for Obama because he's young, hip, and cool. And because there's a hip-hop song with his name in it (not that I'm pro or anti Obama, but that mindset is silly and ignorant).

I know there are decent people, but just like you said, you just have to find them. Meaning they are of the minority these days.
__________________

__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bono haters, cannot stand, reasons, ugh

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com