Why has U2 never played Red Hill Mining Town live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
High key to sing in for the B man, even a half step down. Strains the vox

Yep. That song is brutally tough for him to sing, even 26 years ago.

Agreed. Big shame though, it's one of my all time faves.

Wasn't it originally going to be the 1st single, but a combination of the video and the high notes stopped that happening?

Would love to see them rework this song into something they could do live. Only caveat being it'd need to be more interesting than a Staring At The Sun acoustic borefest.

The lyrics in this song deserve a chance to see the light of day.

Bono could actually do a different spin on this song and sing it using his lower register/deep voice. It could make for an interesting version circa 2016 or whenever they tour next.

Wasn't it originally going to be the 1st single, but a combination of the video and the high notes stopped that happening?
I thought it was going to be the 3rd single, instead of Streets. As much as I love Red Hill, they obviously made the right choice.

In regards to the rest of the material they had to play on The Joshual Tree, Red Hill wasn't all they had to hold onto.

Yes it was, but Bono would then have to sing it every concert and he couldn't. That video - UGH! :huh:

I thought it was going to be the 3rd single, instead of Streets. As much as I love Red Hill, they obviously made the right choice.

Nope, it was replaced by Still Haven't Found. Which is why that has such a shitty impromptu video, they were in Vegas, needed a video, might as well do whatever we can come up with. :lol:

Nope, it was replaced by Still Haven't Found. Which is why that has such a shitty impromptu video, they were in Vegas, needed a video, might as well do whatever we can come up with. :lol:

You're right, it was Still Haven't Found. It's a very shitty video from an objective point of view....but I do like it. :up:

I think the reason it never got played at all is simply that they couldn't quite nail it in soundcheck.

Bono's inability to sing it live every night cost it single status and let ISHFWILF be the second single, but that didn't mean its live career was over before it began. It could have still made occasional appearances, as other JT songs did (notably One Tree Hill and Mothers of the Disappeared). The band were soundchecking it in November 1987 with the intention of performing it on the third leg of the JT Tour - e.g. at the soundcheck for the Murfreesboro concert. A performance was definitely on the cards, but evidently they just could not get a live arrangement to their liking.

Incidentally, the whole "don't release a single that we can't/won't perform live" thing was clearly thrown out the window within a few years. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses was released as a single at almost exactly the same time as it was dropped from the ZooTV setlist, and If God Will Send His Angels was released months after its last ever live performance.

High key makes this song what it is, (a classic and one of my favorites), granted B man couldn't continually hit them high notes 26 years ago and as is obvious wouldn't be able do so today, I say play it "live", I say keep the high key but allow Edge step in and hit them high notes a la (Miracle Drug/Stuck In A Moment), ...let B man carry the rest of the song!! Problem fixed!! Masterpiece performed "live"!!

What a horribly awkwardly unintentionally funny video RHMT is.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

It's also a song that kind of needs two guitars and ... yeah, Bono's not usually in for that unless his part isn't particularly vital.

Back
Top Bottom