Why don't you own/listen to bootlegs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CTU2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I had always assumed that everyone did. Well, not everyone, but certainly everyone here, and in other communities where the existence of boots is common knowledge...but apparently not, since in our "live survivor" discussions it's become apparent that most folks generally only know the official live releases, and haven't heard much of the material available unofficially.

But I wondered why. Personally I love live music. Even bands whose music is generally better in the studio than live. But with U2 it's pretty widely recognized that they're better live, other than the occasional track that people prefer the studio version of. So that being the case, why not lsiten to the great live recordings kicking around?

Hm, since I've part of U2 fan communities I've always had the impression that U2 fans do, in fact, listen to bootlegs a lot. In fact, I became aware of bootlegs and sites such as u2start here on this forum. There has been a lot of bootleg discussion going on. With U2 not releasing official live albums, I always thought bootlegs were the best choice to get their live stuff. I love to listen to bootlegs, but only if the quality is fine.

I may own a show or two of those that I have attended, but for the most part I don't see the point.

I would rather listen to studio recordings when listening to music in my home or car...:shrug:

But I do like live DVDs, certain bands that I follow I will buy their live DVDs.

To me if I spent a lot of time searching for the best live recording of Bad or Streets then I would spend all my time with just one band and miss out on a lot of other music...

I carry around a decent number of bootlegs, because I love U2 live. I used to listen to bootlegs much more than studio stuff, but I've been on a full-album listening kick as of late, especially since I turned 16, got a car, and started doing a lot of listening in my car from actual CDs.

i have at least 40 bootlegs on my ipod, and many more on CD laying around.

me = obsessed

I just never really had access to get hold of them, but hopefully now that's just about to change! The thought of listening to all of those Joshua Tree, Lovetown and Zoo TV gigs is thrilling!

I used to only listen to U2 via bootlegs.

I probably overdid it and burnt myself out. On my computer, I now just have the studio stuff and my very favourite live recordings.

I usually listen to bootlegs, but mostly soundboards, broadcasts, etc. I can't really stand listening to most audience recordings.

I have plenty of bootlegs, but prefer a good sample of the 'best' of any given tour, rather than having an obsessive need to possess as many as possible. I also listen to U2 bootlegs more often than studio albums - I think they remind me of what a great live band U2 are, and how thrilling the experience of seeing them in concert can be.

Also, in a few cases, live versions of songs can be 'better' than the recorded versions for all sorts of reasons - atmosphere, crowd reaction, rare moments of musical or vocal variation. For example, I'd take the extended Lovetown version of Desire over the album version any day. Ditto the live version of Hawkmoon 269.

To me if I spent a lot of time searching for the best live recording of Bad or Streets then I would spend all my time with just one band and miss out on a lot of other music...

The two don't have to be mutually exclusive. I have hundreds of bootlegs and I listen to plenty of other music, finding new stuff to enjoy all the time. :)

But I should clarify that I have loads of bootlegs I've never even listened to, since I tend to be a little obsessive about stuff like that and download them just to have them. :reject: So it's not like I'm sitting around listening to all of them all the time.

I do, I have hundreds of U2 bootleg CDs. I can't think of maybe 1/2 dozen songs where I prefer the album version.

That's what I like though. I was just saying to a friend yesterday that I love how U2 has such a big catalogue and so much live material, I don't have to spend money on all these other bands and concerts. But I'm the type of person that is really picky about how I spend my time and money and what I do, I do 110%. To me it's just not worth "liking" 50 different bands. Don't have time.

The two don't have to be mutually exclusive. I have hundreds of bootlegs and I listen to plenty of other music, finding new stuff to enjoy all the time. :)

But I should clarify that I have loads of bootlegs I've never even listened to, since I tend to be a little obsessive about stuff like that and download them just to have them. :reject: So it's not like I'm sitting around listening to all of them all the time.

yep. same here. i have time for both.

:reject: The honest truth for me is that I have no idea where to start. I mean, really - do you search for "U2 bootlegs" on a search engine or Limewire? Do you ask fan site members to email them to you? Is there a master listing somewhere of what's available? What are the sound quality of the recordings? Or does that matter on who did the recording? What's the criteria for a 'good' bootleg versus a 'bad' one?

I'm serious - I am utterly ignorant on the whole subject & would honestly appreciate a sort of "U2 Bootlegs for Dummies" tutorial. :heart: :drool:

^ It used to be more snail mail and email links and alot of personal searching...over the last few years there are a few great fans who have consolidated the info greatly and it's all at your fingertips almost.

U2torrents is your friend...start there and you'll be occupied for a few years ;)

:reject: The honest truth for me is that I have no idea where to start. I mean, really - do you search for "U2 bootlegs" on a search engine or Limewire? Do you ask fan site members to email them to you? Is there a master listing somewhere of what's available? What are the sound quality of the recordings? Or does that matter on who did the recording? What's the criteria for a 'good' bootleg versus a 'bad' one?

I'm serious - I am utterly ignorant on the whole subject & would honestly appreciate a sort of "U2 Bootlegs for Dummies" tutorial. :heart: :drool:

u2start.com

I honestly have no interest in them, I used to have a few but I'm just not that into U2 any more to want to spend time listening to sub-par recordings of live shows, I'd much rather listen to other bands

What was that old FTP site that had everything named nicely, reviewed and rated, etc....U2BloodRedSky I think? That's where I got all mine.

U2start is the best resource out there right now for bootlegs. However, if you're an audiophile and are looking for only lossless recordings, then go for the torrents.

It's also fun to go to independent, small record stores where they sell rare material. I usually find a lot of rare U2 stuff there, including books and picture discs.
There are also the record markets, but the stuff they sell there is way too expensive (it depends of course what you want to pay).

I prefer album recordings, so I only get bootlegs with 'ancient' recordings, such as U2's 'Children of the Revolution' and a DVD with early Irish TV appearances.

These days, there's no reason to pay for bootlegs, though.

Even if you can't download them yourself, with a little work and patience you can probably find people to trade with you. There are a lot of folks who will gladly send you copies of shows in exchange for a couple of blank CDRs and the cost of postage or something.

I've always been a fan of bootlegs... Also, I think some boots are even better than studio versions, but I must admit, I don't have enough time to listen them as often as I used to. :sad:

Thanks for the info, guys! :up:

*rubs hands together & grins maniacally in anticipation of another facet of obsession* :ohmy:

I have hundreds of bootlegs. I know I have all of the ones from Vertigo and Elevation Tours. I'm going to start to get the promo stuff for NLOTH. I use U2start as well.

I don't have time for them, too much music about
even the live dvd's I hardly /never watch

:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom