Why do so many people (even U2 fans) have issues with Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's definitely not a moron; he's a very intelligent man but sometimes he doesn't seem like a man who thinks much before he speaks. It's a problem for anyone with a big mouth. And I remember reading an interview a few years ago where the interviewer was surprised that Bono wasn't drunk because he usually is for interviews.

I think Bono is a good man.

I understand what you are saying and he has "put his foot in his mouth." More than once. I didn't know he was drunk during interviews.

1. Because people are intellectually lazy...
2. Because for Bono, everyday is like Christmas; he seems genuinely excited about the possibilities/surprises before him, which certainly annoys those who suffer from a paucity of hope...
3. Because he is a boy in a man's body, and ultimately doesn't care or doesn't know how to hide his glee, anger, ambition...
4. Because why should he have fun, when they're not...
5. Because people fail to understand the difference between criticism and critical analysis...
6. Because some are intimidated by audacity...
7. Because it is easier to tear down, than build up.

I didn't know he was drunk during interviews.

zheadscarf.jpg

... Well, that was easy.

You need to read more books based on fact and not just accept what is given to you the real deal.

Are you for fucking real? Read more books about other people's subjective opinion about music? Here's a clue: try LISTENING TO THE MUSIC WITH YOUR OWN TWO EARS!!! :lol:

How can Josh Groeban be considered a real opera singer when they play his music on my local radio station and a contestant sang one of his songs on the X Factor.

People consider Josh Groban a real opera singer? Is that something YOU read? Move on from the tabloids, hun.

Beyonce is dissapearing up her own beehive and NeYo is not as good as Michael Jackson.

re Beyonce: she's disappearing? Really? Wow, she only just had one of the best cross genre songs of the year in pop (If I Was A Boy)

re Ne-Yo: do you even know what Ne-Yo has done? I'm not saying he's better, I don't know anyone who would, but he's a very talented writer and maybe a better one at his age than MJ was at the same age. Will he eclipse MJ? Never. Again, stop reading, start listening.

Bono effectively ruined his entire reputation as a singer 3 years ago. Because of this Marc Lemmar publically said that he can no longer sing in tune on Radio 2 just before 1st January 2008. Jon Earls only realized he was a good singer late 2007 and when I spotted that parody of Magneficent on YouTube on the Latterman show, there were more than one comments sugesting that you couldn't tell the difference between this and his singing in real life. They said at least the Beyonce spoof got people going and there was no point making him sound bad, he can sing bad in real life. Even Niel McCormick said that he's rubbish. He said Susan Boyle is better.

Ok I was going to break this up but somehow in some weird convoluted way I think you're trying to make a point about Bono here?

How exactly did Bono ruin his reputation as a singer?

Marc Lemmar said Bono can't sing in tune? Or that he himself can't sing in tune? Either way, who the fuck is Mark Lemmar and who the fuck cares?

It took Jon Earls till late 2007 to figure out Bono was a good singer? or that Mark Lemmar is a good singer? Either way, if Jon Earls said that he's a good singer in late 2007, say, oh, December 15th or so...what happened in the next two weeks? Because according to Mark Lemmar, on 1 January 2008 he could no longer sing in tune! Must've been a mighty festive holiday break, huh? :huh:

Neil McCormick said Susan Boyle was better than who? Bono? Beyonce? Marc Lemmar? Josh Groban? ah, forget it.

Don't they teach you kids proper English grammar over there? :doh:

1. Because people are intellectually lazy...
2. Because for Bono, everyday is like Christmas; he seems genuinely excited about the possibilities/surprises before him, which certainly annoys those who suffer from a paucity of hope...
3. Because he is a boy in a man's body, and ultimately doesn't care or doesn't know how to hide his glee, anger, ambition...
4. Because why should he have fun, when they're not...
5. Because people fail to understand the difference between criticism and critical analysis...
6. Because some are intimidated by audacity...
7. Because it is easier to tear down, than build up.

:up:

Without repeating too much of what's already been said, there are times that although I love and respect the man, I'd wish he'd shut his trap. But his big mouth has gotten a lot of good done, so it's worth sitting through a speech if it's going to do something positive. Bono isn't afraid to have a laugh at his own expense, he knows what he's doing isn't the most popular thing to do...but he does it because he believes in the cause.

Besides, the Biggest Turd in the Universe episode of South Park was hilarious. I bet the man himself found it pretty damn funny. You have to laugh sometimes, folks.

Here's a thought. Did Lennon, Dr. King and Ghandi have any detractors during their time? Im sure there was quite a lot of people who ridiculed and refused to believe that their convictions were genuine.
How will history remeber Bono? I'm pretty sure, I may be wrong, but I think people of the future will remember him for his musical and humanitarian contributions.

You need to read more books based on fact and not just accept what is given to you the real deal. How can Josh Groeban be considered a real opera singer when they play his music on my local radio station and a contestant sang one of his songs on the X Factor. Beyonce is dissapearing up her own beehive and NeYo is not as good as Michael Jackson. Bono effectively ruined his entire reputation as a singer 3 years ago. Because of this Marc Lemmar publically said that he can no longer sing in tune on Radio 2 just before 1st January 2008. Jon Earls only realized he was a good singer late 2007 and when I spotted that parody of Magneficent on YouTube on the Latterman show, there were more than one comments sugesting that you couldn't tell the difference between this and his singing in real life. They said at least the Beyonce spoof got people going and there was no point making him sound bad, he can sing bad in real life. Even Niel McCormick said that he's rubbish. He said Susan Boyle is better.

How did Bono ruin his reputation as a singer?

I saw in another post where you compared Josh Gorban to Bono. Saying Josh sing's opera. I believe that he sings Adult Contemporary, the same style of music. Celine Dion sings. As far as the comparison. It's apples and oranges. Bono and Josh are both great singers, on their own. Though, their styles are very different.

It's not a subjective opinion it's from a women who's been teaching university students Music theory. What she says is the abosolute truth. It is a fact. Have you ever heard the phrase popopera? I heard an Opera critic (ie: absolute expert stating facts not his opinion) say Andre Boccelli is more akin to Englebert Humpadinck than Pavarotti but nowadays because standards have dropped dramatically so people just accept second best. It's the same with Beyonce. If you want a real RnB singer check out Raquel Sadiiq (I think that's what she's called). Just because someone's popular, doesn't mean they're the real deal. After Obama's inaugeration where Beyonce, the good pop singer, had the cheek to sing Etta James' (the great blues singer) At Last. A few weeks latter Etta put her in her place at her concert. HAha. Flamming cheek. You never find Beyonce in those lists of 100 Great Singers. You're more likely to find less popular commercial singers like Bjork in or older singers like Aretha in these lists. You'd imagine because of her commercial success if she was that great you'd see her name in these lists. I've seen her peers like Christina Aguilira and Alicia Keys in these lists. But no mention of her in last year's Rolling Stones list, TalkSports survey or Q's 2007 list. Beyonce is a good singer. Meanwhile Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughan, Joni Mitchel, Mihajla Jackson, Tina Turner, Bessie Smith, Diana Ross and Peggy Lee are great singers.

I will never forgive Bono for what he did 3 years ago. He's gone down in my expectations as a singer because of this and the fact that he never insisted in personally editing the music for Live8 for the DVD release. I will never rate him ever again. You'll hardly hear Al Jareaou record a version of Ain't No Sunshine with Miley Cyrus in the vain hope it gets to number 1. When he was on Zane Lowe's show Bono had the cheek to criticize Chris De Burg. How dare he? Who cares how old his music is, at least he hasn't just released an album with few obvious melodies and mostly sound effects and layers. Hazel Davies said Bono only has two ways of phrasing, mooing like a cow or shouting as though he's being hit by Edge's guitar. She said that the human voice provides emotion more than any other instrument can ever provide which is why it's given priority in most musical genre's and that U2 are more about guitar whilst Bono's voice is just one of many layers. The vocals are too high on ATYCLB? They are supposed to be. You ask anyone and most people would say that the vocals are the most important instrument in music. No one's ever bought an album because they like the drum pattern. Chris De Burg a better singer than Bono and so David Hasselhoff because they don't do duets with Jennifer Lopaz and Lady GaGa. Neil said that Susan Boyle's a better singer than Bono.

I don't care about songwriting. Elvis, Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald and Barbra Striesand never concerned themselves with songwriting. I'd rather just hear a singer sing. When a song comes on the radio you hardly think to yourself, hmmm I this has a nice melody, it has my foot tapping and the singing is good, but I'm only gonna like it if the lead singer wrote it. Maybe if Bono paid less attention to glum lyrics rather then this winey attempt at singing which he's done on NLOTH maybe people who post messages on Youtube will rate him much higher as a singer.

I will never forgive Bono for what he did 3 years ago. He's gone down in my expectations as a singer because of this and the fact that he never insisted in personally editing the music for Live8 for the DVD release.
:rolleyes: Yes we get it you don't like the One MJB version, but what the hell does it have to do with him being a singer?

And you never answered me the first three times I asked you, what did Bono do at Live 8 that is unforgiveable?

Quit quoting this Hazel person, she's full of shit.

He could've got his scary solicitors onto them to tell them to stop what they are doing. Instead he behaved like a push-over.

BTW, I've decided that from August 1st, I shall be selective in my internet access, so you all be pleased to know that you'd see less of me. I'm going to take up a hobby like salsa dancing. For 18 months it's been my mission to find out why the words U2 and Bono bring up so many false comments on many forums. BVS once told me that I've posted stuff that I've heard people say on Youtube and Google Groups that he could prove are incorrect. The thing with me is that I'd never post something about someone which I did not feel was correct. What I've discovered during my own findings is that people are driven by jealousy, dislike of someone they've never met and that they make conclusions based on hearing a few songs. On The Word forum, that idiot who suggested that Bono, Morrisey, Niel Tennant, Bob Dylan Ian Brown, Brian Johnson and Lemmy caterwalk and can't sing, yet Cher, Chris Cornell, Chris Martin, Bon Jovi, Thom York and Jeff Buckley are fantastic it's clear that he's never even heard some of these singers live and he's probably only heard a few of their songs. I've got some personal issues that require my attention. My world is changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom