Why do so many people (even U2 fans) have issues with Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indra: I've always had issues.

Kingofsorrow: what problem to you have? You snapped at me once just because absineheaded posted a thread and you thought that I should've judged her like the rest of you instead of giving her advice. Don't post until you know what you talking about.

Last edited:
^Raphael Saadiq....I know that name from somewhere.

Was he ever in Tony! Toni! Tone!? Or was it Riff? :hmm:
I know he's from some 90s r&b group, but I can't put my finger on which one....

Yeah, I believe it was Tony! Toni! Tone!

If you like old-school R&B (as in 1960s Motown old-school R&B), buy this CD. You won't regret it.

wow I haven't logged on for years...and I read some of the most and least intelligent posts of all in one thread! I could not stop laughing at pages 3-5... it's funny that "fren" is "nerf" spelled backwards... because foam-like material comes to mind while reading those posts.

It's not a subjective opinion it's from a women who's been teaching university students Music theory. What she says is the abosolute truth. It is a fact. Have you ever heard the phrase popopera? I heard an Opera critic (ie: absolute expert stating facts not his opinion) say Andre Boccelli is more akin to Englebert Humpadinck than Pavarotti but nowadays because standards have dropped dramatically so people just accept second best. It's the same with Beyonce. If you want a real RnB singer check out Raquel Sadiiq (I think that's what she's called). Just because someone's popular, doesn't mean they're the real deal. After Obama's inaugeration where Beyonce, the good pop singer, had the cheek to sing Etta James' (the great blues singer) At Last. A few weeks latter Etta put her in her place at her concert. HAha. Flamming cheek. You never find Beyonce in those lists of 100 Great Singers. You're more likely to find less popular commercial singers like Bjork in or older singers like Aretha in these lists. You'd imagine because of her commercial success if she was that great you'd see her name in these lists. I've seen her peers like Christina Aguilira and Alicia Keys in these lists. But no mention of her in last year's Rolling Stones list, TalkSports survey or Q's 2007 list. Beyonce is a good singer. Meanwhile Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughan, Joni Mitchel, Mihajla Jackson, Tina Turner, Bessie Smith, Diana Ross and Peggy Lee are great singers.

I will never forgive Bono for what he did 3 years ago. He's gone down in my expectations as a singer because of this and the fact that he never insisted in personally editing the music for Live8 for the DVD release. I will never rate him ever again. You'll hardly hear Al Jareaou record a version of Ain't No Sunshine with Miley Cyrus in the vain hope it gets to number 1. When he was on Zane Lowe's show Bono had the cheek to criticize Chris De Burg. How dare he? Who cares how old his music is, at least he hasn't just released an album with few obvious melodies and mostly sound effects and layers. Hazel Davies said Bono only has two ways of phrasing, mooing like a cow or shouting as though he's being hit by Edge's guitar. She said that the human voice provides emotion more than any other instrument can ever provide which is why it's given priority in most musical genre's and that U2 are more about guitar whilst Bono's voice is just one of many layers. The vocals are too high on ATYCLB? They are supposed to be. You ask anyone and most people would say that the vocals are the most important instrument in music. No one's ever bought an album because they like the drum pattern. Chris De Burg a better singer than Bono and so David Hasselhoff because they don't do duets with Jennifer Lopaz and Lady GaGa. Neil said that Susan Boyle's a better singer than Bono.

I don't care about songwriting. Elvis, Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald and Barbra Striesand never concerned themselves with songwriting. I'd rather just hear a singer sing. When a song comes on the radio you hardly think to yourself, hmmm I this has a nice melody, it has my foot tapping and the singing is good, but I'm only gonna like it if the lead singer wrote it. Maybe if Bono paid less attention to glum lyrics rather then this winey attempt at singing which he's done on NLOTH maybe people who post messages on Youtube will rate him much higher as a singer.

Thanks Annie for your reply.

I do respect your opinion. BTW, Are you a music major in college?

I have never gave music too much thought. Since, I'm not a musician and music is something. I simply enjoy.

Thanks Annie for your reply.

I do respect your opinion. BTW, Are you a music major in college?

Myself.......Having a degree in Liberal Arts. I have never gave music too much thought. Since, I'm not a musician and music is something. I simply enjoy.

You, are joking.

Don't post until you know what you talking about.

look who's talking. coming on here passing your opinions off as fact. disregarding anything challenge to your "facts" because you think your always right. in truth you don't have an opinion of your own, you just post things you've read from reviews etc and give voice to them. have an original opinion of your own then "you" can come post when you have a clue of your talking about. your arrogant, pompous and quite ignorant.
as for absentminded, i called it like i saw it. she's and adulterer and a whore. then she got pregnant also. you know what that makes her? a dumb whore. if you wanted to support her then fine, just don't act like you did something noble.

anymore questions?

Im gonna miss Cactus Annie. Extraordinary username, with an extraordinary avatar and an individual who has had an extraordinary impact on this forum.Some of his/her musings have been entertaining, and he/she has offered a very different way of looking at things. Hope Cactus Annie stays, personally.

Much better than that other much-maligned, Fern creature.

zheadscarf.jpg

... Well, that was easy.

How ...? telll me how can someone in this entire world have issues with this man?!

:tsk:

You, are joking.

No....I do respect others opinions. As long as they are polite. Even if I don't agree. Or in Annie's case. I didn't quite understand what she meant. I thought, perhaps she was a taking a music history course or something like that. Maybe, it is a generational thing. I guess.

And yes it is true, I am not a musician. I simply enjoy music. :wink:

Right, well, Bono and his new age mystic bullshittyography can take a hike.

Sell some of your HUNDRED sunglasses and feed the children.

AND DON'T JUST GIVE THEM YOUR SUNGLASSES. SUNGLASSES ARE NOT EDIBLE.

I think everyone needs to remind Bono that sunglasses have NO nutritional value whatsoever because I'm pretty sure he's forgotten that.

Bono is hated now more than ever. It has a lot to do with people seeing him as a hypocrite for the political stuff, either that or they are just annoyed with it. Look at the stuff Liam Gallagher has said recently, we may not like it but that is what a whole lot of people out there think. Go to any other music forum and mention U2 and the first reaction you get is 'oh I HATE Bono!':(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom