Why are U2 so hated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this thread reminds me of why i write stories.

Not that it's a good reason to, or gives any inspiration to whatsoever. It just tries too hard to deliver the perfect turd and instead what you get is soft serve.

So there's really no point in life to try and deliver the perfect turd. You just have to let it happen and go with the flow, eventually it will come to pass.

Too many comments in this thread from people who seem to be lacking real love and appreciation for Bono as they try to explain why "others" hate U2. You guys don't know what you're missing! Love takes listening to U2 to a whole different level. ?

I imagine that when U2 play arenas next year the press will make a big stink about how because of this backlash U2 had to downgrade to arenas, because "nobody wants to see them anymore". Of course ignoring the fact that they played arenas on elevation and vertigo (in the US anyway) and that the band members even said at the end of the last tour they wanted to do arenas next time.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

If U2 last to their 60s, I think that they will generally be loved again. They'll be a wave of recognition for what they've achieved, and appreciated for still being around. Something similar happened with The Rolling Stones - they seemed to be despised for a while, now everyone wants to see them while they still can. Another ten years, and the kids will be wearing U2 T-shirts again and bragging how they've got tickets to see 'em.

I don't think people really despised the Stones. But with the Stones it seems like a lot of people, from what I read on audiophile music boards, more less haven't cared about a new Stones release since Steel Wheels in 1989. I think it says a lot that the Stones have only put out 3 albums in 20 years as well.

I don't think people really despised the Stones. But with the Stones it seems like a lot of people, from what I read on audiophile music boards, more less haven't cared about a new Stones release since Steel Wheels in 1989. I think it says a lot that the Stones have only put out 3 albums in 20 years as well.

Voodoo Lounge was a really good album...:applaud:

The Stones actually do play a fair amount of new songs when they tour. But unfortunately they are a touring greatest hits act. I guess that shouldn't be a bad thing when it comes to a band of their longevity and stature.

I like the Stones BTW.

Right, it says that the members of the Stones have LIVES outside of recording a new album or touring. They pretty much don't "need" to do anything. Since their "comeback" in 1989, their tours have generated a fuckload of revenue. If they're so inclined, they'll release an album every so often. As the members of the Stones begin their 70's, I'm gonna hazard a guess and say they're less inclined to do anything unless the mood strikes them. They were gracious enough to perform those shows for their 50th Anniversary. Stones' fans shouldn't expect much from these guys at this point.

I would think at some point U2 would get to the same place as the Stones. Whether people want to admit it or not, U2 are the biggest band in the world. There aren't too many artists who can pull off a successful stadium tour. U2 are amongst the select few who can do it.

Why are U2 so hated?

Well, because they give love and hope through their music for their fans and
give away free records to millions. They dont even complain if their music is being
downloaded from Napster.

Most people on the other hand, want and prefer to pay for their records and
then complain that the music is not loud enough or it does not have the coolest
hip-hop rap on it.

This is one very crazy planet :hmm:
It´s very hard to understand humans.
That is one of the reasons "aliens" haven´t come to our planet to greet us.
They also think we are all crazy on this part of the galaxy.

Very crazy planet indeed!
They have been the soundtrack to my life and millions of others.
Let's not forget the amount of love they generate. Being at a U2 concert was one of my most emotional experiences, not just the band and the music but seeing my reaction mirrored by so many!

Very crazy planet indeed!

... Being at a U2 concert was one of my most emotional experiences, not just the band and the music but seeing my reaction mirrored by so many!

That is what makes U2 so UNIQUE and so far apart from any other band I have known or listened to in concerts.
No other band can create this feeling. They are all jealous.

A U2 concert creates an atmosphere that is not equalled in no other band.
Even in their recordings when you listen to them,
you can feel this emotional rush going through your mind.

I think U2 invented some type of ARMY "brainwashing" :hmm: :D
I think the Army also hates them.

Went to 'the walking dead' facebook page and saw they had the video link to the trailer which featured 'the troubles'. Well the amount of hate in the facebook comments section below is baffiling. The funny thing is people are saying 'i hate u2' or 'eww why u2' but no one is saying they dislike the song, they are just attacking u2.

There are some ignorant people who just go weird crazy and aggresive when they see the name U2.

When people get successful there is envy. That's the main part. The other part is Bono has political views that he openly expresses that people don't like and him being rich telling middle class people that they are not paying enough taxes is going to naturally piss them off. In the past he's said "we don't want your money but your voice", but that doesn't work because if you ask politicians to give more money to any project they will take it from YOU.

Your overall post was very good, and you're right, most of it is envy.

However, I disagree on your claim that Bono has advocated more taxes. Everything I've seen, he's suggested a realignment of priorities to achieve his monetary goals. Can you eliminate a hand out or tax loophole for some large company that's connected and use the savings to improve lives and by the way, economic efficiency? The answer is almost always yes.

I often get e mails from the ONE campaign thanking me for signing a petition or some other thing I do with the click of a mouse. Almost 100% of the time, there is an explanation of what was done and it reads as follows: "(Insert useless subsidy or wasteful gov't mess here) was eliminated to pay for (insert health/development/drop debt initiative here) and the US Congress agreed to this on a voice vote." Then there are a few quotes from politicians across the spectrum, a lot of the times, more conservative ones, praising what was done. In the 9 years I've been following Bono's work, he has not suggested tax increases nor have policies he's lobbied for caused tax increases anywhere.

Far from suggesting governments raise taxes to do this, Bono has openly praised tax cuts and incentives (such as Ireland's with corporations) where appropriate. I'm sure he'd take issue with Bush style trickle down tax cuts, but that's different from advocating middle or even upper middle income people pay more.

And a discussion for FYM, which I'm still banned from (since 2010) so I'll can this talk. HAHAHA!

Anyways, always enjoy your posts, purpleoscar!:up::up:

Your overall post was very good, and you're right, most of it is envy.

However, I disagree on your claim that Bono has advocated more taxes. Everything I've seen, he's suggested a realignment of priorities to achieve his monetary goals. Can you eliminate a hand out or tax loophole for some large company that's connected and use the savings to improve lives and by the way, economic efficiency? The answer is almost always yes.

I often get e mails from the ONE campaign thanking me for signing a petition or some other thing I do with the click of a mouse. Almost 100% of the time, there is an explanation of what was done and it reads as follows: "(Insert useless subsidy or wasteful gov't mess here) was eliminated to pay for (insert health/development/drop debt initiative here) and the US Congress agreed to this on a voice vote." Then there are a few quotes from politicians across the spectrum, a lot of the times, more conservative ones, praising what was done. In the 9 years I've been following Bono's work, he has not suggested tax increases nor have policies he's lobbied for caused tax increases anywhere.

Far from suggesting governments raise taxes to do this, Bono has openly praised tax cuts and incentives (such as Ireland's with corporations) where appropriate. I'm sure he'd take issue with Bush style trickle down tax cuts, but that's different from advocating middle or even upper middle income people pay more.

And a discussion for FYM, which I'm still banned from (since 2010) so I'll can this talk. HAHAHA!

Anyways, always enjoy your posts, purpleoscar!:up::up:

I was talking more about the old days of his campaigning. He has since claimed that aid is a band-aid and markets are the way forward. He's also done a good job in pointing out corruption because aid can ironically aid corruption and do little good. Reducing budget inefficiencies to fund aid is something I would like to see more evidence for. Even if it's a good cut I'm sure some special interest group won't like it. :wink:

On the envy side there's a good mimetic theory that has some valid points that you can see in life in general.

Rene Girard's Mimetic Theory & The Scapegoat -

Rene Girard’s Mimetic Theory is based on the principle that human beings are mimetic creatures. We imitate what we see in others. In fact, our desires are not actually our own, but desires we have copied from others. The more we imitate each other, the more alike we become. Increasingly, we vie for the same desires and we become rivals. The more human beings imitate each other, the more individuals become alike. Distinctions between individuals are blurred as they mirror each other. The boundaries between individuals which keep order, begin to disintegrate. Increased rivalry creates increased violence and the blurred boundaries threaten to destabilize the social fabric.

In Girard’s theory, primitive man stumbled upon the solution to this threat: the scapegoat. By placing the blame for all the hatred and distress on one individual or group of individuals, the community’s violence becomes polarized toward the ones being blamed. These responsible individuals become the scapegoats for all the bad feeling in the community. By expelling or killing the scapegoat, order is restored and the community becomes peaceful again. The single act of sanctioned violence, becomes like a vaccination against the disease of chaotic, out of control violence.

It is critical that the members of the community be completely convinced that the scapegoat is guilty for this mechanism to restore order. That is why the scapegoat must be accused and slandered before he is killed, but after the killing, everyone attributes the restored order to the scapegoat’s sacrifice. In this way, the sacrificial victim becomes responsible for both the violence and the peace in the community. He becomes “the sacred”.

This fits in with Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me and the 27 club nicely. There are bands/artists that hate U2 because they lost in the rivalry. The audience can also want to bring you up and then tear you down. Michael Jackson was renewed in popularity (and Whitney Houston) after death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxngIpxYLdM

The entire paparazzi/tabloid industry tries to satisfy the voracious appetite of nasty people that want to see the star falling (even if the stories are fake).

What realy makes me worried is that the new album is the best since Zooropa, they discover music they never done before.
This album is without catchy chours(execpt Miracle and California), if the band had released this album in 1997 instead of Pop they had been overwhelmd by the critics.
But now critics have forget that an U2 album needs to be listend to about 20 timews at least to be review fair.
They even wont give it a chance...

Sure, NME is a realy bad magazine and have been giving U2 bad thoughts for years, but not including them on the list with inspiring bands is very strange.

Often the critic to U2 can be very hard and rude, which I never seen when they critic bands like Rolling Stones, AcDc, Metallica...

It should be intressting to see whats happening on the Grahan Norton interview(probaly nothing), I realy hope that Graham will stand his word:
"I've never met Bono and now I probably never will. But if I do meet him I'll ask him because I think it's a hard thing to justify."
Oh No They Didn't! - Bono Annoys Graham Norton

I was talking more about the old days of his campaigning. He has since claimed that aid is a band-aid and markets are the way forward. He's also done a good job in pointing out corruption because aid can ironically aid corruption and do little good. Reducing budget inefficiencies to fund aid is something I would like to see more evidence for. Even if it's a good cut I'm sure some special interest group won't like it. :wink:

I don't see where he's ever really advocated taxing people more.

To me, Bono's campaigning "eras" go something like this.

1.) Early days- 1980-1984 Basically just going on and on about the situation in Ireland- unemployment and the troubles making up most of it. A bit of anti drug rhetoric in there and stories about people whose lives were torn apart by drugs. Africa started to come into view around Band Aid obviously.

His actions, in those days, seemed to be playing charity events, donating time/money of his own, etc. Used his platform to spread awareness but didn't have any hat out for money- be it private or through taxation.

2.) Live Aid/Amnesty International- 1984-1989- Africa and Latin America become the focus here, and the charity events continue- Live Aid, Self Aid in Dublin, Ethiopia benefits, Conspiracy of Hope, Sun City etc. Lots of Bono working with NGO's visiting Ethiopia and Nicaragua. Height of corruption in Africa and Latin America, but Bono was not funneling money to governments there or advocating others do so. Seems he was always aware of corruption and was ahead of the curve on this. It was other organizations- the US government and governments of other wealthy nations among them- that either overlooked or didn't care about people like Idi Amin pilfering aid intended for those suffering.

3.) Random 1990s stuff, and the start of the AIDS/Drop the Debt focus.

4.)2000-present- Drop the Debt and find ways to positively affect change- through well placed aid (governments and NGO's have been recipients of donor countries' tax money, we've bypassed dictators and the corrupt) and through philanthropic capitalism- Red, Bank of America partnership, etc.

Unless I'm missing something, Bono never really had a time period during which he naively advocated funneling money to corrupt governments nor did he have a time period where he scolded us for not paying more taxes to fund aid. Sure, he's taken governments with the money to task on their priorities, but that's different. One need not raise taxes for what is literally "crumbs from our table."

In fact, the 2000-present era is the only time he's really gotten governments involved. Drop the debt was money none of us wealthier countries were ever going to see anyways. The commitment of government money from the G8 countries has been met, pretty much across the board, and if anything, the overall tax burden in these countries is down over the last decade.

I guess in summary, I'm not seeing how he's changed that much.

I always remember an interview at the World Economic Forum in January 2008 during which Bono, Al Gore and Thomas Friedman of the NY Times were involved in a discussion panel. I remember the conversation shifted toward capitalism and aid...(which is better? is there a conflict?, shit like that). Friedman and Gore kind of looked at each other thinking, but Bono went right for it. He opened with "I've long since gotten over the idea of 'artists good, businessmen bad,' I got over that when I was about 20." He then went on to explain that the goal of aid was always to make it so that it was unnecessary some day. Development and business and getting these people the opportunities to trade and participate in the international community was what would ultimately make things sustainably better. Aid is just where we start- to make sure 2 yr olds aren't dying from the lack of a 20 cent vaccination. They have that, they have their health. Then they go to school, then their parents get a micro loan, start a business, the kids work at the business.... business makes clothes they sell to RED...expand the model, you get the idea.

U2 actually has punk rock influences that are clearly heard in many of their songs. Coldplay doesn't. U2 has always been grounded in rock n' roll, while Coldplay seems rooted in pop.

I'm no expert, but Coldplay and U2 have very different sounds.

SIMPLE, DIRECT, AND ONE OF THE BEST POSTS I'VE READ HERE SINCE I JOINED IN JANUARY OF 2008!! :up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up:

Someone finally hits the nail on the head!

They are bands that had very, very different influences and origins.

Is there some overlap? Of course. There is in all genres.

Do Coldplay try to sound, to some extent, like U2? Of course, all of them, but especially Martin, as we all know, idolize U2. But it's the pop side of U2, and to a lesser extent, the atmospherics (Martin's favorite U2 song is, I think ASOH) that Coldplay seek to emulate.

Coldplay has very few songs that could even be labelled as "rockers," never mind anything that approaches Wire, Twilight, Gone, LNOE, Holy Joe, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Electric Co, Like A Song, Sunday Bloody Sunday, etc. They have none of the post punk/new wave influence seen in U2 greats like Two Hearts Beat As One, Gloria and Rejoice. None of the dark, haunting vibes seen in Love is Blindness or Wake Up Dead Man. Nothing that has the intensity of Dirty Day, Exit or Bad or even Raised by Wolves. Nothing approaching anything on AB- be it a MW like groove, or industrial sounding rock like Zoo Station and The Fly. Nothing that has the solid, straight ahead American 1950s influenced rock of Desire, Angel of Harlem, Love Comes to Town and Trip Through Your Wires. They can't come close to touching the transcendence of Streets or ASOH. They can maybe, on a good day, give 2nd tier anthems like COBL a run for their money.

I'm glad that U2's earlier influences (punk and otherwise) are present on SOI. I think the contrast you are talking about will become clearer to anyone who has a listen or two for themselves. Note, that means not listening to the critics and radio idiots who keep saying "Iris" and other songs just prove U2 want to be Coldplay.

Hell, some DJ in Boston even said, after playing "Cedarwood Road" that there was a "real Coldplay vibe" there!!!! What??? Other than "Reach Me Now" (the best damn song in a long time from our boys), it's the furthest thing from Coldplay on SOI. I've never even noticed drums and bass in Coldplay songs (and I've seen them live many times). This guy's telling me they could do a song like "Cedarwood Rd?" It's almost like there's a conspiracy on the radio to just associate U2 with Coldplay and say "too late, these guys do what you did 30 years ago and better, so get on with it and retire." And I don't subscribe to many conspiracy theories, but the corporate radio stations going sour on U2 since 2009 and shunning and mocking them and downplaying them is one I am a fervent subscriber too.

I know it's too early, album not for sale yet, etc, but the radio has, once again, so far, COMPLETELY SHUNNED U2. If SOI won't get noticed and praised for the work that it is, there is no hope!

Does Coldplay have musical talent, some nice songs and some successes- album sales, airplay and tours? Of course!!

Do I have anything against them? Not really.

Do I respect them? Of course!!

Looking at any more than a small snapshot of U2 work next to Coldplay's, are they very similar in sound? Certainly not!

Are they in U2's league? Not by a long shot!

I'm really not sure. Did anyone read the Guardian article on Bono's accident? about 500 comments of hate, vitriol and celebrating as if the guy is Hitler Why? The guy has done so much good in this world, more than what they have I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom