Who saw Love and Peace open a Vertigo show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
I happened to actually see this live in Seattle, but in hindsight, i cannot recall if the song ended with Bono doing the drum-bit out on the ramp- the same way he does when the song is placed mid-set leading into Bloody Sunday. To mee it would seem odd for him to do the drum-bit on the first song and them walk back down the ramp to the main stage to go into Vertigo.

Anyone remember their concerts?

Ayup, I saw it at the first Seattle show, too! I thought COBL was a much better opener (both as a song and visually, with the lights and confetti and Bono "magically" appearing on the catwalk), and LaPOE worked much better where it sat with SBS in the show.

I didn't see it open in person but I thought its mid-set placement transitioning into SBS was one of the regular highlights of the Vertigo tour. That, and I loved COBL as the opener with all the confetti.

Yes, Chicago 1, (5 Years ago....:huh:). He still pounded the drums a bit then they went into Vertigo.

I liked COBL much better. Edge sound w/ lights out then the COBL strum was much more magical.

Yes, Chicago 1, (5 Years ago....:huh:). He still pounded the drums a bit then they went into Vertigo.

Yep. :up:

I must be in the minority. Going into the show I was hoping it'd be LAPOE knowing the odds were against me, but I got lucky. I think it's a much better opener than COBL.

I liked COBL much better. Edge sound w/ lights out then the COBL strum was much more magical.

I got to see them open with LAPOE a few times. Probably close to half of the shows that I attended.

Anaheim #2 (April 2, 2005)
LA # 1 (April 5, 2005)
San Jose # 2 (April 10, 2005)
Glendale # 1 (April 14, 2005)

It was an interesting opening tune; there entering and walking the ellipse with the lights...

I thought both "Love and Peace..." and "City of Blinding Lights" were great choices.

I'd love it if they played LAPOE again. Even if it were every couple of shows.

To me, that song is like "Last Night On Earth", "New York" or "Elevation" for that matter, where the album versions are okay but live they really take on a new life.

I saw it open the last show of the first leg, 5/28 in Boston. I was a bit surprised since they had been opening with City for awhile. I thought it worked pretty well, but not as good as City.

So only zoopop actually remembers whether Bono went and hit some drums?

My bad BVS, you mustn't have seen as many concerts as some others.

For detailed info about Bono hitting the drums after LPOE as the opener:

He banged them for a good while with the crowd getting all pumped up, he then proceeded back towards the stage then Larry started Vertigo.

I remember pretty clearly because I bought 2 $160 seats for me and my wife (close) & I knew LPOE as an intro was kind of a rare occasion.

I felt pretty lucky for the Vertigo tour, my 3 shows I saw I got COBL, LPOE, & Vertigo as intros.

I got to see them open with LAPOE a few times. Probably close to half of the shows that I attended.

Anaheim #2 (April 2, 2005)
LA # 1 (April 5, 2005)
San Jose # 2 (April 10, 2005)
Glendale # 1 (April 14, 2005)

It was an interesting opening tune; there entering and walking the ellipse with the lights...

I thought both "Love and Peace..." and "City of Blinding Lights" were great choices.

I'd love it if they played LAPOE again. Even if it were every couple of shows.

To me, that song is like "Last Night On Earth", "New York" or "Elevation" for that matter, where the album versions are okay but live they really take on a new life.
Yep.I was there for San Jose#2 where they opened with LAPOE.I found out though that the night before San Jose #1 they opened with COBL and also played Zoo Station before the Fly during the encore.

I saw it open the last show of the first leg, 5/28 in Boston. I was a bit surprised since they had been opening with City for awhile. I thought it worked pretty well, but not as good as City.

I was there too. Love and Peace rocked out as the opener :up::up:

After COBL opened the first and second Boston shows, I pretty much knew LAPOE would open 28 May 2005. I don't recall noticing any significant differences between its performance as an opener and its performance in the middle of the set. It was pretty good, and honestly I rate it about equal with COBL as an opener, at least in arenas. I think it was a bit of a shame it was never again used as a Vertigo Tour opener after that show.

So only zoopop actually remembers whether Bono went and hit some drums?

My bad BVS, you mustn't have seen as many concerts as some others.

Nope, I do too!

As does Axver, above me.

I have the 5/28 bootleg(which, BTW, is a serious contender for best set list and maybe even best show of the entire Vertigo Tour!) and Bono clearly hits the drums before they go into Vertigo.

5/28 Boston was my aunt's 22nd U2 show going back to the Boy Tour and she to this day has it in the top 3!

From what she said, and from my bootleg, LAPOE worked quite well as the opener.

I will add 2 disclaimers:

1.)I did not see it in person and only experienced it on boots and through youtube.

2.)The only version I've listened to multiple times was 5/28, and it can't be emphasized enough, that was just one of those nights where they weren't going to do anything wrong! The place "lifted off" right at lights down and didn't let up until well after the encore Vertigo performance.

When they opened with LAPOE, i believe they all walked around with handheld spotlights. I recall seeing it at Boston3... all 4 of them walked the catwalk as the jet engine intro roared and they pointed the spotlights into the audience.

Does anyone else remember this?

When they opened with LAPOE, i believe they all walked around with handheld spotlights. I recall seeing it at Boston3... all 4 of them walked the catwalk as the jet engine intro roared and they pointed the spotlights into the audience.

I remember that. Reminded me of Bono stalking the ramp during BTBS on the Elevation tour.

FWIW, I much preferred COBL as an opener, but it was cool to see the "alternate" opener - like seeing the "Stand By Me" lights-up opener during The Joshua Tree tour (which I didn't :( ).

Yep, that was pretty cool.

Have to agree with U2387 about the bootleg of that show being awesome. If only Vertigo x2 hadn't replaced 40 (on the printed set) in the encore, I would be happy to pay that as the best setlist of the tour. The only other significant contender in my view is 20 September 2005, Chicago.

Yep, that was pretty cool.

Have to agree with U2387 about the bootleg of that show being awesome. If only Vertigo x2 hadn't replaced 40 (on the printed set) in the encore, I would be happy to pay that as the best setlist of the tour. The only other significant contender in my view is 20 September 2005, Chicago.

The Croke Park II and III combo was amazing as well, along with Seattle II and Chicago IV, which are probably my favorite Vertigo boots. Some amazing performances in there. 1st leg of Vertigo is criminally underrated.

Seattle II ... :drool:

It kills me that the better sounding Seattle show is the April 24th set (amazing sounding bootleg, a remastered version showed up online last year or so), but the better show was the April 25th one.

WOE.

Yes, with very heavy stage fog. They opened Denver I with LOPOE, but Denver II was City. And yes, Bono did play the drums a bit, but there was no headband at that point, if I remember right.

Oh, yeah, I didn't see where it was asked if Bono was beating the drum into Vertigo. I was right there against the ellipse rail (outside) and that definitely happened at the May 28 show.

Terrible Picture

This is a pathetic photo. I had just bought my new camera the day before the show, and had no idea how to use it. That and the fact of being totally geeked out at having Larry and Bono right in front of us. But this is Bono beating the drum after Larry runs back to the main stage. This is from Denver I.

U2DenverVertigoI012.jpg

I was at the 4/6/2005 show in Los Angeles. Love and Peace was really received well by the audience. He played it towards the last quarter of the show. The show began very fast..one minute the lights were on and then BAM they place was pitch black and out came 4 flashlights and then running lights began to light the stage...the crowd went wild. COBL was what really got the crowd jumping because a crazy light show happened inside The Staples Center and all the confetti began to fall from the ceiling..people cheered and sang the entire song.

LaP opened the April 1 show in Anaheim -- was right up front when the four of them walked past in the dark with spotlights. I thought it was a great opener, very suspenseful -- but definitely dark to go from there to "SBS" to "When Johnny Comes" to "Bullet". Felt like we were already back home getting felt up on the sofa without a glass of wine and dinner first.

I was front row in the ellipse :drool: at this show and have to agree - City was simply amazing as an opening song. I still have a few pieces of confetti kicking around. :heart: still, opening with the spotlights roaming the catwalk and the jets at the beginning were very cool.

It was nice to see them try something different, but I don't think it really worked. Never got the momentum going as an opener. Kind of reminds me of how Breathe was for 360. Difference being the band didn't realize that it really didn't work with Breathe. City of Blinding Lights was the perfect opener for the Vertigo tour. Vertigo opening was decent also, but City was hands down the best choice for that tour.

Thanks to Joe O'Herlihy in Chicago on the third leg City became the opener for most of the remainder of the tour. Bono asked which he preferred to open Vertigo or City, Joe picked City. Thanks Joe! :)

Back
Top Bottom