Who else here thinks October is better than Boy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShipOfFools

War Child
Boy is ok, but it's my least favorite U2 album. I just have trouble getting into it for some reason; I've been that way since I first heard it. It just feels like the songs (except for I Will Follow) are half polished and are a bit boring.

October, on the other hand, is one of my favorite albums. It has a similar sound to Boy, but the songs sound more polished, and it sounds like U2 have put more effort into the songs. The songs are also better (at least IMO.)

Surely I'm not the only one who feels this way? Are there other people here who are unimpressed with Boy and absolutely love October?

Boy has a greater amount of standouts (I Will Follow, An Cat Dubh, Out Of Control, Electric Co. vs. Gloria, Rejoice, Tomorrow), greater thematic cohesion, and doesn't have Is That All.

Boy wins.

Yeah, I think Boy is more consistent than October or War, even if it doesn't have the latter's high peaks.

And I don't get the comment about the polish. October seems less produced, and we all know the lyrics were a rush job, so I don't know how one can call the songs better, either.

Love October.

It'd been forgotten for years and only rediscovered with the re-release. Had it on permanently in the car for weeks.

I'm predominantly an 80's fan and like Boy a lot too. Although I get you on the half-polished.

I think October is extremely underrated. I love the album from beginning to end. It rounds out my top five favorite U2 albums.

1. Pop
2. Zooropa
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. Achtung Baby
5. October
6. War
7. Boy
----big break between 7 and 8-------
8. How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
9. Rattle and Hum
----big break between 9 and 10------
10. The Joshua Tree
----this break is in a different universe as I am embarrassed U2 released such a crappy album-----
11. All That You Can't Leave Behind

Boy is ok, but it's my least favorite U2 album. I just have trouble getting into it for some reason; I've been that way since I first heard it. It just feels like the songs (except for I Will Follow) are half polished and are a bit boring.

October, on the other hand, is one of my favorite albums. It has a similar sound to Boy, but the songs sound more polished, and it sounds like U2 have put more effort into the songs. The songs are also better (at least IMO.)

Surely I'm not the only one who feels this way? Are there other people here who are unimpressed with Boy and absolutely love October?

I wouldn't say better, because everything is relative to taste. But I like October a lot, and i think it's underappreciated (as much as Bomb is bad treated by fans).

Boy is U2's third best album. October is U2's fifth best album.

Boy wins.

Tracks 1-10 of Boy are fantastic.

I'll just do this to confirm to myself that what I said was right!

IWF v Gloria = Gloria
Twilight v IFD = Twilight
An Cat v Brick = Brick
Into.. v Rejoice = Rejoice
OOC v Fire = OOC
Stories v 2moro = Stories
Ocean v October = October
ADWM v Shout = ADWM
ATAP v Stranger ATAP
Elec Co v Scarlet = Elec Co
Shadows v Is That All = Shadows

Closer than I thought actually

ShipOfFools, don't fret, for I agree with you 100% (the part about OCTOBER being better than BOY, not the part about BOY being the worst U2 album)!

I do prefer October
up until the song October it's among the very best the band has done really

but the last couple of songs ....
it's not even that the songs are bad, but the album just loses its flow and it isn't a patch on the remarkable music that preceeds it

on a positive note
i listened to the album yesterday and I finally enjoyed Is that all? quite a bit
it's a good song when you can get past that they ripped the riff of Electric Co

I'll just do this to confirm to myself that what I said was right!

IWF v Gloria = Gloria
An Cat v Brick = Brick
OOC v Fire = OOC
Stories v 2moro = Stories
ADWM v Shout = ADWM
ATAP v Stranger ATAP

Closer than I thought actually

IWF v Gloria = Gloria
An Cat v Brick = Brick
OOC v Fire = Fire (This was really tough)
Stories v 2moro = Tomorrow
Ocean v October = October (This was really tough)
ADWM v Shout = ADWM
ATAP v Stranger ATAP

October squeaks by.

I am a huge October fan, much more so than the typical interlander....but I still prefer Boy.

I feel the exact same way!

I love Gloria, Brick, I fall down, rejoice and tomorrow, but the songs and the cohesion are much better on boy. Some of my favorites are on Boy- OOC, An cat dubh, ATAP, Twilight, I will follow, Stories for boys.

I do however think the October re master is the most improved sound compared to the original.

IWF v Gloria = Gloria
Twilight v IFD = I Fall Dwon
An Cat v Brick = An Cat Dubh, by mile
Into.. v Rejoice = Into The Heart
OOC v Fire = OOC, by a mile
Stories v 2moro = Tomorrow
ADWM v Shout = ADWM
ATAP v Stranger = ATAP
Elec Co v Scarlet = Electric Co.
Shadows v Is That All = Shadows, by a mile

I can't stand Is That All, and Fire is lame, in a humorously cheesy '80s way. I can't believe they chose that as the first single when Gloria is an all-time classic.

Once again, I don't hate Boy, I just don't see the appeal in it. October grabbed me from first listen (same with War), while Boy always makes me have this reaction. :hmm::|:eyebrow::huh:

Maybe it's not U2's worst album for everyone, but it is for me. I like all the other albums much better than Boy (even How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.)

I think October is extremely underrated. I love the album from beginning to end. It rounds out my top five favorite U2 albums.

1. Pop
2. Zooropa
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. Achtung Baby
5. October
6. War
7. Boy
----big break between 7 and 8-------
8. How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
9. Rattle and Hum
----big break between 9 and 10------
10. The Joshua Tree
----this break is in a different universe as I am embarrassed U2 released such a crappy album-----
11. All That You Can't Leave Behind

Are you fucking deranged?

Once again, I don't hate Boy, I just don't see the appeal in it. October grabbed me from first listen (same with War), while Boy always makes me have this reaction. :hmm::|:eyebrow::huh:

that's so interesting. boy clicked with me instantly, and i think i'm just loving it more each time i listen to it. war and october took me much longer to get into.

Maybe it's not U2's worst album for everyone, but it is for me. I like all the other albums much better than Boy (even How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.)
:up:

My least favorite album is still BOY.

While I think October is very underrated and contains some great tunes (Tomorrow has to be among one of U2's most underrated songs), Boy is more consistent and has better flow.

Back
Top Bottom