Who cares - I think Miami is awesome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, so i'm probably in the small minority, but I would like to express my appreciation towards the song we all know as Miami.

I love the song! Even if it is disliked by others!

I just can't get the reversed drumbeat out of my head, and the freaky bass sound with the rusty guitar sound accompanied by Bono's 'casual' singing in my opinion.

So please, if you love Miami, please express your love for it here! :D

Every aspect of the song you mentioned is great. I love the drums and base. The way Bono sings, "we only went there for a week" is both whimsical and conversational at the same time.

My only issue with the song is B and E during the chorus.
When Edge starts rocking out I'm happy 99% of the time. Miami is the other 1% unfortunately. Bono's use of concrete imagery during his travelogue in the verses is the exact opposite of what people accuse his lyrics of being: "vague and flowery." They're specific and direct and pretty damn impressive. To go from that to a chorus of screaming, "Miami! My, mammy!!"
is just unfortunate.

Still, a very good song.

Live yes, studio meh. The "cuba" coda live is fantastic. Add in the Edge's more pronounced guitar and its all good.

For the record, I love Miami, especially live.

The Leeds Miami :drool::drool::drool::drool:

Just downloaded this concert, and all I have to say is: WOW. A shame that the Pop era has such a bad rep because the quality of the live shows is far superior to what we've heard on the tours in this decade. The segue from "Miami" into an absolutely ferocious "Bullet the Blue Sky" is amazing on the Leeds recording. The band simply does not play with that kind of fire any more.

If anyone haven't said it yet:

MIAMI, MY MAMMY

It took a long time for the song to grow on me, but it finally did, and I think it's pretty awesome.

I could, however, do without the whole "my mammy" thing.

BA BA BA BA BA BA FUCKIN' BA!

Yeah, Miami is cool. It took me a while to get it, but especially after hearing the live versions (the whole Leeds 1997 concert is a must-have for everyone... easily one of U2's finest performances ever), I have to say it simply rocks. I got used to the studio version as well (when Larry's drums come in... :drool:).

Elvis Ate America appreciation thread anyone?

My husband is not a u2 fan. One day I asked him to listen to what is probably U2's most fan-hated song, just for fun. He said he thought it was actually a very good song, and didn't know why all the hate. He liked it. So I guess there's one more who appreciates.

Anyways... On my first ever listen to Pop I knew I was going to love this record by the opening of Mofo. After hearing Miami it was sealed. :heart:

Underrated song... really love the drums, it's got almost a drum and bass feel to it

Top top song. Careful though.. the haters might come about and ruin your thread like they did with my Red Light thread.

My husband is not a u2 fan. One day I asked him to listen to what is probably U2's most fan-hated song, just for fun. He said he thought it was actually a very good song, and didn't know why all the hate. He liked it. So I guess there's one more who appreciates.

Anyways... On my first ever listen to Pop I knew I was going to love this record by the opening of Mofo. After hearing Miami it was sealed. :heart:

By the opening of Discotheque. That was the first song. Mofo was #3.

Every aspect of the song you mentioned is great. I love the drums and base. The way Bono sings, "we only went there for a week" is both whimsical and conversational at the same time.

My only issue with the song is B and E during the chorus.
When Edge starts rocking out I'm happy 99% of the time. Miami is the other 1% unfortunately. Bono's use of concrete imagery during his travelogue in the verses is the exact opposite of what people accuse his lyrics of being: "vague and flowery." They're specific and direct and pretty damn impressive. To go from that to a chorus of screaming, "Miami! My, mammy!!"
is just unfortunate.

Still, a very good song.

The 'Miami, my mammy' screaming is probably the best part of the song imo, live with that louder and rockier guitar sound is simply. :drool:

If anyone haven't said it yet:

MIAMI, MY MAMMY

:yes:

Miami is a cool song and different than most of their other songs.:up:

I agree, one of their most experimental tracks.

Back
Top Bottom