Which U2 songs have worked well when done acoustic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you told Lovetown Desire, especially the version with the extended solo, that one day it would be performed in an insipid acoustic version, it would kick you in the head repeatedly until you had brain damage.

Stuck in a Moment probably comes closest to being better acoustic, or at least stripped down, but it blows no matter how you play it.

I'm not as turned off by their acoustic performances as some of you are.

In fact, I think some of them are really great.

I want to mention the "Kindergarden" recordings of One and Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World. I thought they both worked really well. I love that version of One(although admittedly, by the end it's not all acoustic anymore, but still, the first half of the song shows that it can be done well), and I might actually prefer that version of Tryin' to the Achtung version.

I also think Edge's acoustic solo of Love Is Blindness in From The Sky Down is haunting.

Bono's acoustic solo of So Cruel from the same film.

And I know it's not the album version, but I really dig the acoustic Hershey soundcheck performance of Acrobat.

I also really like the Bono and Edge's acoustic Please performances from the Elevation tour.

I also really enjoy the acoustic Mandella version of Breathe. I always liked Breathe, but some have said over the years how it's one of the No Line tracks that sounds most like it could be a Bomb track, and I think this acoustic version, without the bombast and with some altered lyrics, alleviates that.

I also love "White As Snow", although, I'm not certain it's pertinent to the discussion since there's no alternative.

I take issue with this notion that all U2 songs sound like crap when done acoustically.

I will grant you that a lot of them don't work so well acoustically in an arena or (especially) stadium setting. I get that. But I just gave a list of some really great-sounding (imo) acoustic U2 tracks. I think that if U2 were ever to play the smaller types of venues that they don't play anymore and probably will never play again, they could work really well. Please note that I'm not suggesting that the acoustic Please from Elevation is better than full-band Please from Popmart or that Edge's solo Love Is Blindness is better than the full-band ZooTV version(although it's really fucking haunting in its own right). I'm just saying acoustic versions can be very, very good, and I think they often could benefit from being played in smaller venues.

I've always thought that if U2 agreed to do an MTV Unplugged type thing(just play along and pretend we're living in a world where MTV still gives a damn about music) and really put their minds to it, it could be really special and interesting. It would be one show to a relatively small crowd, so they could experiment with those tracks that feel don't fit in their full live show, as well as a certain number of hits that be played acoustically. Since it's acoustic, it would tend more toward balladry, but still. They could do lesser-known stuff like

Tomorrow
Seconds
Drowning Man
Promenade
Love Comes Tumbling
Luminous Times
Van Dieman's Land
So Cruel
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Acrobat
Love Is Blindness
The First Time
If God Will Send His Angels
Please
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
A Man And A Woman
White As Snow

as well as hits and better-known stuff:

Two Hearts Beat As One
A Sort Of Homecoming(I bet they could do it!)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With Or Without You
Running To Stand Still
Trip Through Your Wires
Desire
Angel Of Harlem
All I Want Is You
One
Horses
Stay(Faraway, So Close)
Staring At The Sun
Stuck In A Moment
Kite(maybe?)
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Crumbs From Your Table
Fast Cars
Moment Of Surrender
Breathe

Anyway, I just wanted to say that. I'm sure most if not all of you will disagree.

Just to keep in mind, piano versions count as acoustic versions, and I bet they could do some great versions on the piano for some of these songs.

Bono already hinted in a recent interview that the acoustic version of Every Breaking Wave is on the piano.

Yeah. They cut out the best part of the song live! When edge starts tearing it up with the "my oh my" at the end takes the song to awholenother level.

the end of GBHF is probably my favourite part of any song ever. perfection. the acoustic version is fine, but it pales in comparison. the layering at the end is what makes the original so good

Stuck and maybe Yahweh are the only songs I can think of that I prefer acoustically. will be interesting to see how the SOI acoustic sessions turn out.

If you told Lovetown Desire, especially the version with the extended solo, that one day it would be performed in an insipid acoustic version, it would kick you in the head repeatedly until you had brain damage.

Stuck in a Moment probably comes closest to being better acoustic, or at least stripped down, but it blows no matter how you play it.

Agreed.

I don't think there is a u2 song that is improved by playing it acoustic, Stuck is possibly the closest but I still prefer the original.

Wake Up Dead Man for example would be one of their best ever concert closers if they had played it full band as it appreared on Pop, however it wasn't as they didn't...

I would also lean towards saying "None". Nothing beats the studio version for me.

The only exception I can think of is the album version of Stuck In A Moment which was so saccharine and vomit-inducing that the acoustic version on the 7 EP actually improved it quite a bit.

NONE!!!!

I don't like acoustic songs, even less when it is inferior to the original version.
The only song that is close to the original is acoustic Stuck in a moment (also because I don't like the original version).....

Agreed on both accounts. :wink: Though I still prefer ZooTv Desire to Lovetown.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For Zoo TV - pretty good

Angel of Harlem - you cannot go wrong with whatever version of that song

Satellite of Love :)

Sorry, but I am going to say that practicly all of U2 songs sound
great in acoustic versions. :rockon: I really enjoy acoustic versions of
their songs.
I have heard so many songs played by them and
also versions played by fans - on CD and on YouTube. Their songs also sound great in acoustic style IF they are played properly.

For those fans that think that U2 cannot play acoustic versions, then we
will have to wait another week until the new record comes out. The 2-CD deluxe-version
will have many acoustic versions of the same songs on S.O.I.

^ Agree, I like most of the acoustic version's they've done, I basically love how this band can go and play stripped-down versions of their songs and I'm excited for the SOI acoustic sessions and also for the upcoming live radio sessions. I love most of the versions of Stuck that they've done (blows the studio version that's just too poppy and sweet for me, out of the water) and also the acoustic Ordinary Love on the Fallon show, which was phenomenal. Even if they're not perfect at their instruments, I like the heart and soul about the acoustic songs. But I would agree that they've also made some great mistakes when chosing which song to play acoustically.

One song which I would like them to play live acousticly
would be Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin.

Did you ever notice (over these past years) the Edge is always joking around
when starting an
acoustic session by playing the melody of Stairway and then just laughs
with Bono. :D
It would be very interesting to hear a U2 version of that famous
song . I think they could pull it off quite nice.
I would ! :applaud:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHGzojMkhcc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBuTVE6BHV8

If I'm paying $100 a ticket....get those guitars and plug'em in boys!

But really, I prefer full band electric of any U2 song over acoustic.

Don't get be wrong, Stay and Stuck in a Moment sound good acoustic but not better than the album version.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I would not be shocked to see a shortened, acoustic version of Moment Of Surrender on the upcoming tour. And to be honest, I don't know how else they would be able to work it into a concert. It could rotate with Bad possibly, but Bad is just way better and irreplaceable.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom