Which songs does The Edge dislike playing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theFly51

New Yorker
And why?

I've heard he's dislike playing a few gems from back in the day till now.

The ones I can think from the top of my head are

Surrender
Ultraviolet
Miami
Discotheque

can anyone else add if there's anymore?
And why do you think this is?

p.s. sorry meant for tittle to say "What SONGS"

Ultraviolet? Wow, I didn't know that...that makes no fucking sense...Ultraviolet is fucking incredible live, in pretty much every video/mp3 I've heard...the Washington performance is one of the greatest U2 performances in history...how can he not like playing this....I hope they bring it back on 360 tour....they'd be stupid not to :pray:

Ultraviolet? Wow, I didn't know that...that makes no fucking sense...Ultraviolet is fucking incredible live, in pretty much every video/mp3 I've heard...the Washington performance is one of the greatest U2 performances in history...how can he not like playing this....I hope they bring it back on 360 tour....they'd be stupid not to :pray:

:up::up:

Idk why he didn't like it. I heard that it was too difficult to play and IMO the Washington version is awesome hands down but it look like Edge does have some trouble performing, especially during the chorus when he sings "ultraviolet"

It's like he want to either make his voice higher or make the lyric last longer but can't :hmm:

He doesn't want to play Last Night on Earth again because "it's not as good as Sunday Bloody Sunday." Or, at least, that's his reason for not playing it again.

Ultraviolet

"It's an epic, no doubt about that, with some gorgeous aspects, but it's quite unwieldy to play. It's never going to become a busking standard, put it like that. I once said to Bob Dylan, 'People are going to be playing your songs for thousands of years.' He said, 'Man, they're going to be listening to your songs too. It's just no one's going to know how to play them.' Sometimes, I might add, that includes us."

"It's an epic, no doubt about that, with some gorgeous aspects, but it's quite unwieldy to play. It's never going to become a busking standard, put it like that. I once said to Bob Dylan, 'People are going to be playing your songs for thousands of years.' He said, 'Man, they're going to be listening to your songs too. It's just no one's going to know how to play them.' Sometimes, I might add, that includes us."

interesting...I thought Bono said this though...this is Edge? :hmm:

I once said to Bob Dylan, 'People are going to be playing your songs for thousands of years.' He said, 'Man, they're going to be listening to your songs too. It's just no one's going to know how to play them.' Sometimes, I might add, that includes us."
Heh. Edge must have bad memory. It was Bono who said that (and has since told this story on numerous occasions), not him. It was even mentioned not so long ago in a Blender interview.

Guitars — great, chiming armies of them — come at you from all angles. He even dusts off his echo-laden clang that once prompted Bob Dylan to remark to Bono, “Everyone’s going to remember your songs, it’s just that nobody’s gonna be able to play ’em.”

Edge chuckles. “You get into that thing where you’re worried that you sound too much like yourself. But that’s what I sound like. I can’t help it, that’s how I play the guitar. I think I just stopped worrying about it.”

I heard after they pulled out the new version of Discotheque on the Vertigo Tour, Edge wanted it canned.

Edge may be the most competent creative force in the band ... but his judgment of the band's material is just as poor as the rest of the band.

Ehh, Seconds, or a lot of the War material, I can see how that stuff could be embarassing.

They're doing the atomic bomb... :dance:

Edit: Ok, fine, it was Surrender. Point still stands (or not, whatever).

He doesn't want to play Last Night on Earth again because "it's not as good as Sunday Bloody Sunday." Or, at least, that's his reason for not playing it again.

I felt like ripping up U2 by U2 when I read that. It sums up everything wrong with the band since 2000.

I reckon if they were to play Surrender now it would be really good. I've always liked the song.

So was Surrender the song that Edge has said he never wants to hear again? I was just recently trying to remember which song it was and where I had read it, anyone know what interview it is from?

I felt like ripping up U2 by U2 when I read that. It sums up everything wrong with the band since 2000.
Same here. LNOE is a killer live.

Also still can't figure out why he didn't like the Vertigo Discotheque. The general opinion was that it was even better then the original, a hard rocking discotheque.

I'm sure that if you try really hard you will find more things you find wrong with the band since 2000
at least put in some effort :up:

personally I can still remember both the first time hearing Sunday Bloody Sunday on tv (wasn't a fan yet back then) and the first time hearing it at a concert myself

I'm very happy for you if you reckon Last Night on Earth is as good as or even better than Sunday Bloody Sunday
but I don't see how Edge feeling that Sunday is a better live song than Last night proofs that the devil himself took over his body Jan. 1 2000
:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom