Which songs do think U2 should play on Letterman?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2freakboy

War Child
With the boys on Letterman all five nights this week, which songs do you think they will play? My guess is they'll play five new songs from the album and at least a couple old hits as well ... if they perform two songs each night on some or all of the shows. If they only play one song each night, we may just hear new stuff.

Since "Boots" has had lackluster success in the U.S., I wouldn't play it on night number one. And given the fact that "Ill Go Crazy..." and "Magnificent" are the next two singles ... this is how I would do it ...

Monday - Magnificent
Tuesday - Ill Go Crazy ...
Wednesday - Get on Your Boots
Thursday - Breathe
Friday - Moment of Surrender

But my guess is we'll hear "Boots" on Monday night but I think that's a bad call. If we hear any hits along the way I'm thinking Vertigo and Beautiful Day based on what we saw at the BBC.

Mon - Magnificent
Tue - IGCIIDGCT
Wed - Boots
Thu - NLOTH
Fri - Breathe

Monday:Get On your Boots
Tuesday:Magnificent
Wednesday:Moment of Surrender
Thursday:Crazy Tonight or Stand Up Comedy
Friday:Breathe

Usually I believe on Letterman the band usually only plays one song and with U2 playing for a straight week they will probably play about 3 songs a night for the live audience but only televise one.

If it's only one a night, then Boots, Magnificent, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, Breathe.

Boots, Breathe, and Magnificent are almost all a given. The remaining two will most likely be Crazy and NLOTH, but who knows if they are only doing current songs and may not just pull out an old "classic" for Friday's performance.

I hope they only play songs off of NLOTH. But Beautiful Day and/or Vertigo are good possibilities. Personally, I'd love to see Crazy Tonight.

If it's only one a night, then Boots, Magnificent, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, Breathe.

I don't think they would waste two days of promotion in the U.S. with two old songs.

I hope they only play songs off of NLOTH. But Beautiful Day and/or Vertigo are good possibilities. Personally, I'd love to see Crazy Tonight.

Given my prediction that Crazy will be the next U.S. single, I think that it's a must play one. :wink:

These are the 5 new songs I think they will play, but I expect some old ones to be played in conjuction with these:

Boots, Magnificent, No Line On The Horizon, Breathe, Moment of Surrender

But I think U2 will do a 2-3 song setlist every evening so we may hear more.

Monday - Breathe
Tuesday - Magnificent
Wednesday - Get On Your Boots
Thursday - Winter
Friday - Unknown Caller

It would be cool if they finish the week off with Moment of Surrender.

Also I bet they play more than one song on some nights. Whenever they play on Saturday Night Live, they tend to bust up the script. Maybe they will with dave, too.

most likely, they will play

Boots, Breathe, Magnificent, NLOTH (because we know they are capable doing so)
and i think they WILL play IGCIIDGCT
although if they are smart, they should take advantage of the carte blanche status that the week long gig on letterman gives them and play Moment Of Surrender, as they are rarely going to be given another chance to play this song on U.S. Television

So my guess would be that they will most likely play the first five, as well as a few older tracks. If they play MOS as the fifth new track then they will probably play only 4 other tracks, and in my mind those are most likely gonna be:

Vertigo
Beautiful Day
I Will Follow
(and something eise)

Simply because they are like "hey! remember us! U2 songs!" with no danger or too much depth for a late night tv show.

What else though? Well - I would hope for COBL as well given its staying power and recent use at the election, and maybe one song from Achtung Baby.

All that said, I think they should take advantage of the format and play as many songs from the new album as possible, say 2 a night. Play everything and give the US TV audience a real taste of what's on the album. That would be a brilliant way to promote the record.

I am just excited they are on all week!

perhaps walk on. it is an emotional song for nyc considering the band played it after 9-11

What's the actual proof that U2 will be involved all week? How do we know they won't just be filming a five song set at the end of Monday's taping and go do something else?

Monday: Holy Joe
Tuesday: J. Swallow
Wednesday: Vertigo (snippet) / Vertigo (snippet) / Vertigo (extended yeah yeah yeah mix) / Vertigo (snippet) / Get On Your Boots (Mix with yeah yeah yeahs) (snippet) / Vertigo (extended yeah yeah yeah mix) (snippet)
Thursday: Shine Like Stars / With or Without You (snippet)
Firday: Shadows and Tall Trees / Vertigo (snippet)

What's the actual proof that U2 will be involved all week? How do we know they won't just be filming a five song set at the end of Monday's taping and go do something else?

Well I can't remember a time when Letterman advertised a show for a taped performance... But then again this is pretty new for Letterman and U2, so who knows?

This means that U2 are in New York right now... someone should stalk them tomorrow as they go to the filming and hold them at gunpoint unless they promise to release a(nother) new album by the end of the year.

Well I can't remember a time when Letterman advertised a show for a taped performance... But then again this is pretty new for Letterman and U2, so who knows?

Pearl Jam did two songs that aired on two consecutive days but were filmed on the same day...and Letterman even joked about in the "second night"....

But considering that U2 will likely want each specific song to sound perfect, might include a rooftop gig, will want to partake in skits...and most importantly, the fact that they have nothing else booked for the rest of the time, makes it highly likely they'll be there all week.

Pearl Jam did two songs that aired on two consecutive days but were filmed on the same day...and Letterman even joked about in the "second night"....

Really? I remember when they recorded a whole mini show for Letterman and it being on Letterman's website, but I don't remember them airing PJ two nights in a row... interesting:hmm:

This means that U2 are in New York right now... someone should stalk them tomorrow as they go to the filming and hold them at gunpoint unless they promise to release a(nother) new album by the end of the year.

Check out the Pleba thread, I am sure they've got a whole plot ready to roll out tomorrow......... :lol: They will be there and they will have the pics to prove so keep checking the thread as the day/evening progresses. I am soooooo jealous!

Wait arent they the "house band" not the "Musical Guests"?

But anything is possible - remember they played "Mystery Girl" in Brooklyn when HTDAAB was released?

Gotta tune in to find out !!

I don't think they would waste two days of promotion in the U.S. with two old songs.

I don't think they'd waste an entire week of promotion in the US with just new songs nobody knows. They'll do a Beautiful Day or a Vertigo or some other big hit to rope in the fairweather fans.

I think it'd be best if they got two songs a night. Do two new songs the first night, then one new song and one old song for the middle three, and two big U2 hits to end it. Something like:

1: Boots, NLOTH
2: Breathe, Beautiful Day
3: Magnificent, COBL
4: Crazy Tonight, I Will Follow
5: Vertigo, Pride

Monday: Holy Joe
Tuesday: J. Swallow
Wednesday: Vertigo (snippet) / Vertigo (snippet) / Vertigo (extended yeah yeah yeah mix) / Vertigo (snippet) / Get On Your Boots (Mix with yeah yeah yeahs) (snippet) / Vertigo (extended yeah yeah yeah mix) (snippet)
Thursday: Shine Like Stars / With or Without You (snippet)
Firday: Shadows and Tall Trees / Vertigo (snippet)

:lol: soooo many vertigo snippets...!!

Boots, Magnificent, and Breathe are all givens imo. I'd like to think if they're only playing one song a night they'd do all new stuff ... why on earth would they play old songs to promote a new album :scratch: BUT if they get 2 songs a night then, one old and one new.

Crazy Tonight is a pretty good guess, and then maybe NLOTH? Stand Up Comedy maybe? That's a right catchy song and would make a good single imo. It would make my life if they played Unknown Caller but that's doubtful.

as for old songs, if they play them ... the usuals...BD Vertigo Pride IWF One. I'd be pretty surprised if they pulled out any old ones besides those except maybe COBL.

Back
Top Bottom