WHICH ONE is worst POP or NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Being better than Pop isn't much of an accomplishment for a U2 album.

That's right, I said it!

:sad:

I love October's title track. However I felt that the song was never fully scoped out for what it could be. Great ambient piano progression and the beginning of a great melody and then it simply ends. If only.

NLOTH is not a good record :|

But I loved Pop. It's funny. As I said before on here I got to know U2's music after I borrowed Pop and AB from a nieghbour because my mum never had any of their stuff as she never liked them. I loved Pop and I thought AB was a fantastic album. As I was a huge fan of Oasis at the time I was hoping that they should take a few leaves out of U2's book when they released their 3rd album latter that year that was Be Here Now. When I started looking back in my old diary's years latter I even put in their that Oasis should include songs like IGWSHA, One, Discotheque, etc. Both Be Here Now and Pop got good reviews in Q when they released but now this magazine seems to now have forgotten that because it's rewritten it's reviews for these albums and gave negative remarks. I think Q is probably best music magazine for interviews and general articles (although I do think it's gone downhill since it changed it's format and started to include stuff that's unrelated to music), but I always take it's reviews with a huge pinch of salt because they're always changing their opinions on albums. I don't think they are getting any monetary reward on giving artists good reviews for albums but I do think that because they like to keep in good terms with big bands like U2 and Oasis (mainly because if they get interviews with them and put them on the cover the mag will sell well) they tend to agree with these bands on what were their best and worst albums.

I bought 2 best of CD's in 1997 which appear to be bootlegs and ATYCLB was the first album I bought. I've never been keen on it other than the singles. When I bought HTDAAB it took me just a few listens to realize that this is a great album and I will put it sandwiched between AB and Pop of my Top favourite U2 albums. After that I purchased all the U2 albums but these 3 albums are still in my top 3. I put NLOTH last.

someone has the right to not like the new album. but i just don;t know what you want them to do. i personaly don't them to repeat albums. make the same album again. its clear thats not how this works. To the haters, what sound are LOOKING for? u want sameness ac/dc can give it to you. and for that band that works. i don;t want joshua tree part 2. i don;t want exact replicas of previous albums for them. and i also look at the bigger picture . other rock bands and what they have done. most 80's bands that didn't survive into the 90's wish they had a "flop" like pop. wasn't u2 supposed to not make it into the 90's? isn't that how this works in music? the closest to me not liking the album is that i can say its proly gonna be the least fav of the 00's albums. but thats pretty far from dislike. i am very objective toward my fav bands. i love david bowie, i love 2 songs off his last album, but the rest of the album i didn't like at all. and that was hard to admit but it was true. but i'm curious to what the people who dislike NLOTH want? and don;t say you think these newer album are playing it safe. cause with or without you is the safest song they ever have done and i;m not even gonna respond to debates on it. they have never quite ruled radio as much before or after that song.

:hmm:hmmmmm How about melodies and hooks? No Melody On The Horizon. It's just abstract, overproduced (Sound effects >>>>>>musicianship). In Time magazine the reviewer said that the best effect of all : melodies has been overlooked. It's pompous, self-indulgent and bad singing. The lyrics are tedious. And this is not just what I'm saying, I have heard 2 other people say exactly the same thing. At least HTDAAB had metaphors that got people talking for better or for worst. It's not Bono's fault that some fans have no sense of images, symbolism and take everything he says so literally. I agree what I heard (many) people have said in other forums, that Bono's got too smug. I'm not looking for an album that's trying to be too smart, just one that I can hum the tune to afterwards.

POP>TJT=AB>NLOTH=TUF

Did you know that POP 2*UF (ATYCLB*HTDAAB 2)+(WAR * JT) - NLOTH 2/BOY*ZOOROPA + OCTOBER= AB?

It's pompous, self-indulgent and bad singing. The lyrics are tedious. And this is not just what I'm saying, I have heard 2 other people say exactly the same thing.

wow, 2 whole people? you must be right then...

It's not Bono's fault that some fans have no sense of images, symbolism and take everything he says so literally.

pot, meet kettle

I'm not looking for an album that's trying to be too smart, just one that I can hum the tune to afterwards.

You can't hum along with NLOTH or Magnificent or MOS or any of the others? Seriously?

The album certainly has melodies. If they don't, how do they keep getting stuck in my head all day?

You can't hum along with NLOTH or Magnificent or MOS or any of the others? Seriously?

Magnificent starts off well before it lurches into another boring rock song. MOS is long just for the sake of it. This album reminds me of something Enigma would make. I remember on a Google forum when someone remarked that if you like Enigma than you like the Passangers album. You tell me a song on NLOTH that is half as good as Return to Innocence or Sadness part 1 I'll show you a song on thier that's half as melodic as OOTS. Return To Innocence is about 4 minutes long but still comes up with more interesting dynamics than what mos does in 7 minutes. It was a huge hit in 1994 and it reminds me of when I first moved to Somerset when I was 10. It was in the charts for months and I was befriended by my long time friend Vicki. We used to hum this song becuase it was so unusual to hear a new age song on the radio waves. Enigma still make records but they've turned thier back on the mainstream.

Back to the original question: Neither. Pop is my second favourite U2 album and NLOTH I like quite lot. At this time the "worst" slot would probably go to the Bomb or ATYCLB.

Speaking of Enigma I remember they lifted Bonos falsetto in Ultraviolet for one of their songs....I cant remember exactly which track it was but it was definatly there and wasnt credited to Bono :)

I would say every song on this album is a great to outstanding song....POP had 1 or 2 that needed work but I love that album as well....

Pop was not a bad album. Gone & Do You Feel Loved are two of my top favs...As far as this album.. NLOTH is a classic. Right up there with JT and AB! Some of their strongest work to date. They amaze me.

I always hear this listed as one of the worst u2 albums but I have to be honest. If you take out the live songs and leave just the studio songs, you have one kick ass album (if you want to put with or with you or bad live I wont complain). But really:

Desire...WOW
Angel of Harlem...WOW
All I want is you....WOW
Heartland.....WOW
God Part II....wow (little wow)

I agree I LOVE R&H - I think it is the most underrated U2 album by far.

Magnificent starts off well before it lurches into another boring rock song. MOS is long just for the sake of it. This album reminds me of something Enigma would make. I remember on a Google forum when someone remarked that if you like Enigma than you like the Passangers album. You tell me a song on NLOTH that is half as good as Return to Innocence or Sadness part 1 I'll show you a song on thier that's half as melodic as OOTS. Return To Innocence is about 4 minutes long but still comes up with more interesting dynamics than what mos does in 7 minutes. It was a huge hit in 1994 and it reminds me of when I first moved to Somerset when I was 10. It was in the charts for months and I was befriended by my long time friend Vicki. We used to hum this song becuase it was so unusual to hear a new age song on the radio waves. Enigma still make records but they've turned thier back on the mainstream.

hi. this is Vicki. i think you're wrong about NLOTH.

This thread does not compute...when NASA engineers designed me, they listened to POP. I am literally brought to you by this futuristic bath of bleeps and bloops.

NLOTH also has spacey sounds in key moments...and I know spacey sounds.

Yes, that was an unfortunate report...and a grossly inaccurate one. I did face a technical dust-related issue around this time-frame--one that affected my amount of discretionary power for activities such as driving and using instruments. However, a beneficial Martian wind has blown away some of the dust that has accumulated on my panels.

Lately, I've been able to boost my power supply by about 30 watt-hours, to about 240 watt-hours from 210 watt-hours. Interestingly, this energy uptick has coincided with the release of U2's latest album...

^Okay then...I'm gald to hear you're okay

I'm still functioning...my mission is still ongoing. Thank-you for your gladness. :)

One reason I can say for certain that I appreciate NLOTH: U2 put much effort into its construction. They have scouted out numerous locations for themes and concepts to get their music transmission to you.

Here is a drawing of Bono and Edge that I did when they visited Mars on 03/07/2008:

b80ltv.jpg

^Wow...we had Bob Dylan on the forum a couple of months ago...now we have the freakin Mars Rover

Back
Top Bottom