Which is the best UltraViolet live version?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DU2

The Fly
Hello everybody, I was listening to this live version of UV recorded from the crowd in Milan a few years ago, and I found it just amazing.
Even if Bono messes the song up a bit, the result is pure passion.
So I was wondering if there are even better and even more passionate versions of UV around on the internet.
I love the U22 version as well, but the emotion in Milan was just off the charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_XYrcuZGog

Stockholm's a beaut. I even dig the Barcelona one despite Bono and Edge getting off track towards the end, maybe because it was their first "real" performance of it in years!

Hello everybody, I was listening to this live version of UV recorded from the crowd in Milan a few years ago, and I found it just amazing.
Even if Bono messes the song up a bit, the result is pure passion.
So I was wondering if there are even better and even more passionate versions of UV around on the internet.
I love the U22 version as well, but the emotion in Milan was just off the charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_XYrcuZGog

Yes, that one is the best version :)

DC UV without a doubt. No 360 version can come close to the song's peak ZooTV performances.

I'm a big fan of this one:

U2 Horsens 2010-08-16 Ultra Violet (Light My Way) - u2gigs.com - YouTube

Overall, I slightly prefer 360 performances to ZooTV performances, but I love them all. Milano 2 and Barcelona 1 are both incredible. I also like Dublin 3 and Montréal 2. For ZooTV, I like listening to Washington, Stockholm, and Dublin, but that has much to do with those just being relatively decent (or, in Dublin's case, fantastic) recordings.

I like the ZooTV performances a lot, but I fricking love everything about the 360 performances - the elevated second verse, Bono's lyric choices, Edge's playing, the lit up steering wheel mic, Bono's crazy dancing and swinging on the mic (before back injury), the disco ball ending - for me, that is perfection.

The 360 performances didn't have that fantastic bridge that Zoo TV did have.

So surprised that no one mentioned Macphisto UV.
For example ZooTV from Dublin 1993, or Basel from the same year (the latter is available on youtube in proshot, although the quality of that proshot it's very crappy).
Anyway, those performances of Ultraviolet were enriched by some kind of madness and desperation that only an epic character like Macphisto could impersonate. That sense of desperation when he shouts and screams the final "Baby baby baby"x3 verse, almost crying of anguish, staggering and stumbling like a fool on the stage is something totally priceless.

U2 - Ultra Violet // Live in Basel '93 (ProShot) - YouTube

So surprised that no one mentioned Macphisto UV.
For example ZooTV from Dublin 1993, or Basel from the same year (the latter is available on youtube in proshot, although the quality of that proshot it's very crappy).
Anyway, those performances of Ultraviolet were enriched by some kind of madness and desperation that only an epic character like Macphisto could impersonate. That sense of desperation when he shouts and screams the final "Baby baby baby"x3 verse, almost crying of anguish, staggering and stumbling like a fool on the stage is something totally priceless.

U2 - Ultra Violet // Live in Basel '93 (ProShot) - YouTube

Strangely enough, I never really dug the MacPhisto performances of the song, although everything you pointed out would make me think they should rank among the best!

The early performances of Ultra Violet in the 360 shows where just mindblowing! As the tour progressed Bono put less effort into it, though it was still great when i was finally able to see it. However, it took them a while to work out how to finish it off properly.
Performances in 92 were also quite special I must say.

I was lucky enough to be at the 8/16/92 show, and still think it is one of the best concerts U2 have ever done, the version of UV is just as good as it gets. I am glad they brought it back on the 360 Tour, I heard it at both shows I attended, one of the best songs ever by the band, a lot of emotions and memories with this song for me.

I prefer the 360 versions, mainly from early in the tour before Bono settled on that over-singing bit that he sometimes does. Going an octive higher for the "YOU BURY YOUR TREASURE..." verse was really moving to me. Also I really like Edges guitar work in the 360 version.

Love the song, preferred it over HMTMKMKM in the "swinging microphone slot", and would happily take UV at any concert I see.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom