Which album is the best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mediaman44

War Child
I have a quandary :scratch: and would like other U2 fans to voice their opinion. I do not own Boy, October or Unforgettable Fire. :sad: Which album should I add to my collection next. I own all the official recordings including WAIA and UABRS.

Definitely The Unforgettable Fire. One of their best. Boy and October aren't bad either:wink:

The Unforgettable Fire is not only the best album of those you listed, but U2's best album, period. No U2 fan can be without it, and you really shouldn't post on here again until you've listened to it in full.

Like now. :)

Unforgettable fire. It's got Pride and Bad, who alone are better than anything on Boy or October for me. And ASOH is awesome too.

Unforgettable fire. It's got Pride and Bad, who alone are better than anything on Boy or October for me. And ASOH is awesome too.

Well he said he already owns WAIW, which has a far superior version of Bad, and a comparable version of ASOH.

Boy is a little more consistent, even if it's not as creative/adventurous. And anyway, An Cat Dubh-->Into the Heart trumps the studio version of Bad.

That's really difficult... both Boy and UF are two very favorites (after the 90s trilogy).

If you haven't heard either, I would go with what kind of music you like, if post-punk than Boy, if impressionistic atmosphere, UF.

Well he said he already owns WAIW, which has a far superior version of Bad, and a comparable version of ASOH.

Boy is a little more consistent, even if it's not as creative/adventurous. And anyway, An Cat Dubh-->Into the Heart trumps the studio version of Bad.

That's a good point. And he's probably heard pride about a million times too. :hmm: Then I'd go for Boy as well. ACD is brilliant, it has OOC, IWF and I love The Ocean as well.

Though I love the studio version for one major reason. :wink: It's the ONLY version where Bono ever got the lyrics of the bridge right.

The Unforgettable Fire is the greatest album by any band ever for me

The individual songs.....the album as a whole.....the abstract surreal atmosphere......it's all just fucking amazing :heart:

The studio version of Bad is so underrated. Bad is one of U2's best live songs, but the studio version works really well for me. Superb vocals, beautiful instrumentation.

Get all 3 of them and listen to Boy, October and TUF in order..... then listen again and again until you know all the lyrics by heart, then you'll be complete :wave:

The studio version of Bad is so underrated. Bad is one of U2's best live songs, but the studio version works really well for me. Superb vocals, beautiful instrumentation.

I agree completely. The studio version is very different than the live version, but I like it a lot. It fits into the rest of the album extremely well.

People should re-read the OP and understand what's going on here.

The OP owns every official recording except these three early albums. Therefore, it won't be long before he/she owns those three also. What's at issue is not which album is "the best so that I only buy that one", but which album would be "the best to buy next".

It seems pretty clear that they are on a bit of a journey here, to discover the origins of U2 and their path to greatness. Therefore "the best" album to acquire next is absolutely BOY.

People should re-read the OP and understand what's going on here.

The OP owns every official recording except these three early albums. Therefore, it won't be long before he/she owns those three also. What's at issue is not which album is "the best so that I only buy that one", but which album would be "the best to buy next".

It seems pretty clear that they are on a bit of a journey here, to discover the origins of U2 and their path to greatness. Therefore "the best" album to acquire next is absolutely BOY.
Well maybe OP's first album was Pop, the second The Joshua Tree, the third No Line On The Horizon, the fourth War or whatever. I see what you mean, but with only three albums left, I don't think it's that much of a (chronological) journey anymore....

But Boy is a very good album obviously...

I already own all of the singles individually and have listened to them extensively. Yet I lack the physical albums Boy, October and Unforgettable Fire. It seems that most people recommend UF. The price also makes a difference so thanks for that info.

Back
Top Bottom