Which album is the best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for clarifying that. It occurred to me that you've already heard and own all of the singles, you've already heard a far greater portion of TUF than Boy.

A Sort of Homecoming
Pride
Wire
Unforgettable Fire
Bad
and probably even MLK

You've heard/own all these songs already, right?

That leaves

Promenade (great song)
4th of July
Indian Summer Sky
Elvis Presley and America

Now contrast that with what I'm assuming you've never heard or own from Boy:

Twilight
An Cat Dubh / Into The Heart
Stories For Boys
The Ocean
A Day Without Me
Another Time, Another Place
The Electric Co
Shadows & Tall Trees (somewhat meh)

and maybe even Out Of Control!!! (altho you must have heard that track)

And people actually think the tracks you haven't heard or own from TUF trump those tracks from BOY that I just listed?? Trust me on this, they are crazy :coocoo:

Get all 3 of them and listen to Boy, October and TUF in order..... then listen again and again until you know all the lyrics by heart, then you'll be complete :wave:

I couldn't have said it better myself!

If it comes to my personal opinion TUF is a masterpiece. Indian Summer Sky, Elvis Presley And America, A Sort Of Homecoming, Promenade, Bad, Wire and The Unforgettable Fire are true gems. October is amazing yet underrated, I love it. Boy is great however it's my least favourite album of the U2 80s catalogue.

I don't think it really matters which one you'll buy first, you won't be disappointed whatever you choose. I would highly recommend to get all three ;)

The UF is the the 3rd masterpiece in my opinion. The critics tried to suggest that an album from the last decade was the 3rd masterpiece. They're clearly wrong.

The lost masterpiece is a pretty accurate description.

Don't forget to download the Demo version of Twilight after you've heard the original. :wink: Don't do it the other way around!

And Roland, have to say I party agreed with the critics. Though it's a different album from the last decade for me. :wink:

Does anyone remember a thread we had a year or two ago here? It was someone who made a program where you would rate the individual songs and the program would calculate what your favourite albums were. It was pretty accurate, and I'd love to do it again to see how much has changed.

Thanks for clarifying that. It occurred to me that you've already heard and own all of the singles, you've already heard a far greater portion of TUF than Boy.

A Day Without Me was the lead single from Boy. And of course there was I Will Follow.

But The Unforgettable Fire only has two singles... Pride and TUF. Plus the OP already said this is inclusive of WAIA.

Not saying that the OP likely hasn't heard more of TUF, but if you're working just off singles...

A Day Without Me was the lead single from Boy. And of course there was I Will Follow.

Good call on A Day Without Me although of the ones I listed as ones he hadn't heard, I can easily concede it.

My point still stands however, if he's heard and owns what he said he had, he's heard more TUF than Boy, by a long shot, and the remaining tracks that are left from Boy far trump the remaining tracks from TUF. I wasn't going off pure singles, I was going off what albums the OP said he already possessed. WAIA contains the other big tracks from TUF.

Oh my mistake, I read that the OP did not own WAIA.

But yeah... chances are even when we're not working off of singles, any given casual U2 fan has heard more off of TUF than Boy. I'd say that's inclusive of A Day Without Me, even though it was the lead single.

Yeah he's got UABRS also, which includes the song I would have picked for him to start at: 11 Oclock Tick Tock :rockon: :drool:

Can you believe 11 O'Clock Tick Tock has only been performed live nine times since 1990? All during Elevation, none on Vertigo or 360. You would think it would've made an appearance when they were playing all those Boy tracks on Vertigo, but it didn't. I feel lucky to have been at one of those Elevation shows that it was played at.

Can you believe 11 O'Clock Tick Tock has only been performed live nine times since 1990? All during Elevation, none on Vertigo or 360. You would think it would've made an appearance when they were playing all those Boy tracks on Vertigo, but it didn't. I feel lucky to have been at one of those Elevation shows that it was played at.

Can you believe Gloria wasn't played even once in the 1990s? It also missed Elevation and 360 completely. 20 times in 20 years.

Does anyone remember a thread we had a year or two ago here? It was someone who made a program where you would rate the individual songs and the program would calculate what your favourite albums were. It was pretty accurate, and I'd love to do it again to see how much has changed.
Yeah, the program was called U2rate. I Googled it, looks like the guy's website no longer functions. But you can look for it if ya want.

Back
Top Bottom