Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2009, 03:07 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:46 PM
Normal Where are all the U2 fans?

I'm 20. I attend a university. Of the people I hang out with,
-one likes U2 enough to go to shows with me (he's my roommate)
-three like U2 somewhat (mostly JT)

Of people I don't know very well:
-one loves U2 but hates HTDAAB and said he wouldn't even bother with NLOTH
-one likes U2 and is a part of ONE
-one likes "old U2" (what does that even mean? 80's? 90's?)
-one said "I like U2" with no elaboration

um, yeah, that's about it. It might sound like a lot buuut... The majority of people I meet loooove Radiohead but dislike or detest U2, especially Bono. I remember in my Rock History class when we talked about U2 out of a class of 300 only a few people raised their hands when he asked if people liked U2, and when he asked what people thought of Bono the response was overwhelmingly negative. I mentioned Bono in a class today and everyone scoffed and started talking about what a douche he is.

So my question is ... where the fuck are all the U2 fans? They're one of the biggest bands in the world, they sell millions of albums and sell out stadiums, yet hardly anyone I encounter even tolerates them. Is it just where I am or do you guys have this experience as well? The only remotely diehard fan I know is my roommate, and that's only because I converted him long ago.

Also, might be obvious but, why does everyone hate Bono so much? Why is it hip to dislike someone who is making a difference in the world? Why are people such morons?

Mostly I just want to know if you know very many people you know like U2, and if so where do you live so I can move there. Thx.

AtomicBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:10 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:46 PM
Honestly, I know no one else in real life that does. Where are they? I'd like to know.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:11 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:16 PM
Mainland Europe.
The Sad Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:14 AM   #4
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:46 AM
all the U2 fans died when u2 died(musically) think it started during the passengers project.
shaun vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:16 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:46 PM
I'm 47 and in all my life I have never known another u2 fan until I joined a forum on the internet a few years ago. It is very weird indeed.
bonocomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:19 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Im 19 and at uni, i have encountered no u2 fans yet. I have one friend from secondary school who loves u2 and we plan on going to a few shows this year. You have more of a chance of finding water in a desert than finding a u2 fan in the 21st century.
vaz02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:34 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:46 PM
but they must exist!! I don't understand it. who is buying all the tickets
AtomicBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:45 AM   #8
New Yorker

Scalpers!
shaun vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:53 AM   #9
Refugee

I'm 19 and at university. My best mate is almost a big a fan as me and we're looking forward to treking round the UK when they come here. There was a couple of my housemates who are apathetic - they came with us to see U23D and they have said they would like to go see them live but they are only casual fans I suppose - mainly I think due to me ramming them down their throats for the last 2 years at uni!

Another of my housemate is a U2 snob (he dislikes Bono and only knows Vertigo, Beautiful Day et al) and he pissed me off when we were watched the Brits Awards by picking up on the 'I don't wanna talk about wars between nations' line in GOYB and saying it was stupid and hypocritical. I didn't have the energy to argue!
MikeyJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:53 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:46 PM
1) The fans skew older. Mid-thirties is often the youngest you'll find waiting in the GA line or sitting next to you in the nosebleeds, often around mid-forties is the average age.

2) They're detested in the US by all but about ten million people....

I had the same experience in college where I was pretty much the only U2 fan...it changed a bit after they came by and some people caught Vertigo gigs in late '05, but otherwise, nada.
BigMacPhisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:56 AM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun vox View Post
all the U2 fans died when u2 died(musically) think it started during the passengers project.
...right... this theory, while not related to U2, luckily, would explain quite well sale figures for Chinese Mediocrity. Good Job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicBono View Post
but they must exist!! I don't understand it.
everyone's either a U2 fan or a closeted U2 fan, look at shaun - a GNR fan for the world, dressing like Bono privately at home and visiting a U2 fan forum
bathiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:57 AM   #12
The Fly

Local Time: 01:16 PM
I don't know any 'diehard' fans, but most people I know like U2 enough to go to their concerts. I live in Australia.

Edited to add : It might also have a lot to do with your age. I'm 27 and I'm young compared to a lot of U2 fans I know. They seem to be very popular amongst people in their late 30's - early 40's, here!
OceanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:02 AM   #13
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 05:46 AM
Most die hard fans I know are my friend's parents.

But they're influencing their children and my friend is a big fan too. They're going to see U2 with the whole family.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:07 AM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:46 PM
Well it makes sense that there will be a lot of u2 fans in the 30's and 40's age bracket, so if you younger fans aren't hanging out with people that age, you won't find as many fans around you. But it doesn't make sense for someone the bands age like me to have never met another fan in all that time... that's just crazy.
bonocomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:09 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicBono View Post
-one loves U2 but hates HTDAAB and said he wouldn't even bother with NLOTH
If he loves U2 pre-HTDAAB, he should give NLOTH a chance. It's a very different record.
namkcuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:06 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't know any die-hard U2 fans but I know plenty of people who like U2. Mostly in the late 20s/early-to-mid 30s age bracket.
Saracene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:09 AM   #17
The Fly

You will find out when they release tour dates
carling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:11 AM   #18
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
1) The fans skew older. Mid-thirties is often the youngest you'll find waiting in the GA line or sitting next to you in the nosebleeds, often around mid-forties is the average age.
Largely true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPHisto
2) They're detested in the US by all but about ten million people....
Overstated. Certainly there are plenty who detest U2, but there's a significant number of fans who like the band, they just aren't rabid fans. For most it's not really black & white.

I was in college when ATYCLB was released. I don't know if midnight releases are still popular today - I suspect not as much as they were even in 2000. I went to a big, diverse university and the crowd waiting at the midnight release was pretty huge. It also happened that Outkast's Stankonia was released the same day which obviously increased the total turnout, but there were plenty of U2 fans there. I also remember buying tickets for Elevation at the same record store and, again, a pretty big line formed that morning.

U2 hasn't been especially big with the college crowd since at least the ZooTV era. That's not shocking, they were in their early-30's at that point and now they're pushing 50. Their recent output, or lack thereof, doesn't do them any favors either. For an average 20-year-old college student U2 has released exactly one album during a time when those kids were buying their own music and beginning to really form and develop their taste.

Certainly there's an incredible back catalogue to discover. The fans on here who are in their teens or 20's typically came to U2 sometime around the Pop era or later and we immersed ourselves in all their work. But most folks aren't going to come upon the band by happenstance, and while they're still widely considered the biggest band in the world, it's pretty hard to pick up large numbers of new fans when you release an album every three or fours years. That's been the pattern after Zooropa - NLOTH is their fourth album in nearly 16 years. It's not shocking that colleges aren't littered with U2 fans.
MSU2mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:14 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSU2mike View Post
Largely true.

Overstated. Certainly there are plenty who detest U2, but there's a significant number of fans who like the band, they just aren't rabid fans. For most it's not really black & white.

I was in college when ATYCLB was released. I don't know if midnight releases are still popular today - I suspect not as much as they were even in 2000. I went to a big, diverse university and the crowd waiting at the midnight release was pretty huge. It also happened that Outkast's Stankonia was released the same day which obviously increased the total turnout, but there were plenty of U2 fans there. I also remember buying tickets for Elevation at the same record store and, again, a pretty big line formed that morning.

U2 hasn't been especially big with the college crowd since at least the ZooTV era. That's not shocking, they were in their early-30's at that point and now they're pushing 50. Their recent output, or lack thereof, doesn't do them any favors either. For an average 20-year-old college student U2 has released exactly one album during a time when those kids were buying their own music and beginning to really form and develop their taste.

Certainly there's an incredible back catalogue to discover. The fans on here who are in their teens or 20's typically came to U2 sometime around the Pop era or later and we immersed ourselves in all their work. But most folks aren't going to come upon the band by happenstance, and while they're still widely considered the biggest band in the world, it's pretty hard to pick up large numbers of new fans when you release an album every three or fours years. That's been the pattern after Zooropa - NLOTH is their fourth album in nearly 16 years. It's not shocking that colleges aren't littered with U2 fans.
zwervers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:51 AM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 01:46 PM
gee!...I am still a fan!..i think!

jacez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u2 fans