When will U2 stop making music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarvio

War Child
I'm just wondering when we all think U2 will stop making music.
This is not when we WANT or HOPE U2 will pack it all in, but when we THINK they will stop.
Unfortunately, they can't go on forever.
I personally think that after NLOTH and after SOA they will have 1 more album, or maybe 2 at the most. Then they will finish it off with some sort of ultimate u2 singles compilation or something, and by this point they will be in their 60's.
When do you think U2 will end?

i just hope they don't end like Brett Favre's career ended. U2 playing for the Vikings would make me very irate.

It would be rude and tasteless for me to suggest a band member's death as a likely culprit at this time, so I'll wait until tomorrow.

Actually, I reckon they'll go out with a bang, and then people will realise that the industry kind of sucks without them, and so they'll briefly be revived for a couple of shows, which will be terrible. Just like Plugger.

It does kind of suck for them, because it's pretty uncharted territory. All the big bands broke up early or faded out... The only exception is the Stones but they've really just been a touring jukebox for a couple of decades so I really don't think it's comparable.

I think they'll release probably 1 or possibly 2 new albums (Rubin/Eno and Lanois) and a Spiderman album. Then that'll be it, around 2020 or so.

It does kind of suck for them, because it's pretty uncharted territory. All the big bands broke up early or faded out... The only exception is the Stones but they've really just been a touring jukebox for a couple of decades so I really don't think it's comparable.

Headache is going to kick your arse.

They will never stop making music. I cannot imagine Edge not making music. If they don't continue as a band someday, I'm sure there will be other projects. Why should someone who loves music stop making music? Because of age? That's ridiculous. As a band, they will stop making albums and touring when they feel like it.

I guess I don't 'technically' mean stop MAKING music, but more, when will the BAND U2 stop recording and releasing new songs as a band, stop recording and releasing new albums as a band.
Stopping touring is a separate question.
Anyway, interesting responses so far, keep em coming

I never believed the "they're going to last until one of them is dead" scenario.

I would say as long as Bono's voice and/or Larry's back and wrists can handle.

Last year, at the age (well, average of them all) of 48, they signed a 12-year deal with Live Nation. Why would they sign a deal for 12 years, an odd number, if they didn't intend to retire when they were 60? Seems like a good age to finish to me.

I never believed the "they're going to last until one of them is dead" scenario.

I would say as long as Bono's voice and/or Larry's back and wrists can handle.

Yes, I believe that just a serious physical problem could stop U2.

Aging is not a problem at all - they have energy and a healthy life to keep them on the road for a looooong time :rockon:

:pray:

Last year, at the age (well, average of them all) of 48, they signed a 12-year deal with Live Nation. Why would they sign a deal for 12 years, an odd number, if they didn't intend to retire when they were 60? Seems like a good age to finish to me.

It lasts until 2020 that's a nice number, either way U2 aren't retiring before then unless something happens to someone in my opinion

I think they'll make about 3 more albums, maybe 4 is lucky and will go out on a high at the age of 60, then they'll do a farewell tour when in their mid 60s and just retire and live well in the rest of their lives with their families.

Bono has the ego to desire to be immortal, and Edge is scientifically smart enough to come up with a way to make it reality - so when their Philosopher's Stone is stolen and their Elixir of Life runs out is when they'll stop making music. :wink:

And after that, I'd be dead, and they'd be making music for me in heaven.

Bono has the ego to desire to be immortal, and Edge is scientifically smart enough to come up with a way to make it reality - so when their Philosopher's Stone is stolen and their Elixir of Life runs out is when they'll stop making music. :wink:

And after that, I'd be dead, and they'd be making music for me in heaven.

Ah, how i'd like to be imagining all the members of U2 in a nursing home. Bono would probably be trying to jump around like a mental patient and keep on getting restrained by the nurses.

Actually, I reckon they'll go out with a bang, and then people will realise that the industry kind of sucks without them, and so they'll briefly be revived for a couple of shows, which will be terrible. Just like Plugger.

And just like Plugger, the lasting image of U2's career will be Bono pedalling away on an exercise bike during the final show.

We shouldnt be talking about this kind of stuff when were all filled with excitement about there tour, try and enjoy whats happening right now, and stop worrying about the future ;)

Back
Top Bottom