When it`s time for the POP Remaster will they rework it????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mauwer

War Child
Just wondering ,

When it`s time to release the POP-Remaster will they rework it? , like they said they wanted to do at one point?

And if so , will it become a 3-disc then? ( coz they need to include the orginal too )
Or even better a 4-disc with a live dvd:wink:

Your thoughts please Friends!

Cheers ,

Mauwer

It'd be interesting if they did but it's not THAT necessary. Like I said it'd be an interesting thing to show how they'd PREFER it to have sounded but if they had a new version as the "official album" that'd be pretty shit.

The amount of times they've gone on about re-doing it I wouldn't be surprised if they re-did some of the tracks. They've already released some remixes on the best of 90-00 that they (wrongly) consider to be superior to the originals that people probably expected to hear when they bought a best of :wink:

The 90's re-issues are a bit worrying for people who don't want bonus discs that consist of endless remixes but hopefully they'll be left alone in favour of regular old B-sides and POSSIBLY unreleased bits and bobs...for an album they consider unfinished I wouldn't be surprised if they had another set containing a re-done album if they don't just have select re-workings on the second disc.

At the end of the day, I think the 1991-1997 box will be quite big to allow extra room for Pop's lengthy hardback book in which U2 spend hundreds of pages getting all apologetic and awkward about how bad they supposedly made it...

That'll be ageeeees away...

I don't see the need to bloody redo it... the only track to me that sounds dirt is Velvet Dress and start of Angels

I think I'm one of the few people on Interference who didn't like the reworked Pop songs that appeared on The Best of 90-00.

Some of the songs on there are a bit undercooked but I don't think Gone, SATS and Discotheque were amongst them, I think they were the most realised tracks on the album and didn't need re-doing, they were great as they were.

I always have mixed feelings about reworking songs anyway. Pop's over 10 years old now and it'd no doubt be difficult for the guys to get back into the kind of mindset they had when they were making it. Alot has happened since then and they're not really the same band anymore. My concern would be that by reworking them you just get further and further away from the essence of the songs and what made them unique to begin with.

I think I'm one of the few people on Interference who didn't like the reworked Pop songs that appeared on The Best of 90-00.

Some of the songs on there are a bit undercooked but I don't think Gone, SATS and Discotheque were amongst them, I think they were the most realised tracks on the album and didn't need re-doing, they were great as they were.

I always have mixed feelings about reworking songs anyway. Pop's over 10 years old now and it'd no doubt be difficult for the guys to get back into the kind of mindset they had when they were making it. Alot has happened since then and they're not really the same band anymore. My concern would be that by reworking them you just get further and further away from the essence of the songs and what made them unique to begin with.

Nope I agree with you, I thought the remixes were horrible. Discotheque was perfectly fine in my opinion and needs no work, ditto Gone. The new mix of Staring at the Sun was worst than the original, and quite why they remixed Numb I have no idea!
I am almost certain that they will re work the whole of Pop, and whilst I don't think Pop is perfect, revising it 12-13 years later makes no sense at all.

I liked the remixes (save for SATS)...the remaster is their last official chance if they're serious about the remake.

Where's that rumoured Velvet dress remix that they wanted to add on the THTBA single?

I liked the remixes (save for SATS)...the remaster is their last official chance if they're serious about the remake.

Where's that rumoured Velvet dress remix that they wanted to add on the THTBA single?
I believe that was Playboy Mansion.

Their brain is not in it anymore. If they had delayed the album back in '97 to finish it the sound would be different than what they would do now on reworked songs. You can't interrupt the space time continuum. It's better to make another record like POP with their new sensabilities and try and make a better one.

BTW POP is better than most albums that bands can make today so it's not really that bad a record.

Pop is the last great record they made, in my opinion. If they rework it, I'm pretty sure it will pale in comparison to the original.

God, I hope not. The remix of "Discotheque" on the "Best Of" CD was horrifyingly off-the-tracks compared to the spectacular original mix (which Edge bemoaned as being a troubled track, since it took about thirty mixes to get down to the album version, but I see that as part of its advantage, since that version is so sonically dense). U2 are simply not in the proper headspace for this album anymore, and their collective judgment about it remains faulty--they hate the album because they planned it to be fun and light and it came out dark and complex. They may never be able to grasp that it's that clash of intention vs. final result that makes POP so special and thick with riches for the patient listener...

i really don't want them to rework it. if they are going to invest that kind of time in the studio, i'd prefer they get more prolific with NEW music.

I'd like to hear it remastered and cleaned up, but not changed sonically.

what i would be most interested in would be the treatment in terms of bonus stuff. i would must rather they go joshua tree on it, collect the bsides, but more importantly tag on a few tracks from the vault from the Pop sessions that didn't make the cut. I really want to hear the other stuff in the same realm as POP that we have yet to hear.

and as far as a 3 disc set goes.... maybe a dvd of one of the great non-mexico city pro shot shows?

Leeds perhaps, or even Sao Paolo??? (my pop knowledge is fuzzy this morning)

but i want the box to look like the joshua tree super deluxe. something keepsakey. if not, then at least something that will fit into a box set with zooropa and achtung (but my suspicion is that achtung will definitely get the superdeluxe treatment)

i guess it all depends on how the bands feels about POP when its time to remaster.

ahh.... pop....i miss 1997

:up::up::up::up::up:

If God had written Discotheque

Taking the Boom-Cha's away for the best-of would be verging on blasphemy.

Taking the Boom-Chas out of discotheque was the only thing they done right with the remixes; in my opinion the boom-chas basically ruin the song.

It needs some cleaning, but no changes. I don't care much for the Single/Best Of reworkings of Pop songs. I don't mind Please, and I like that they let If God Will Send play out so you get Bono's falsetto, but then the terrible editing of that song, the stripping of feeling with Gone etc - no good. Clean it up, but leave the songs alone.

The 90s remasters will be fucking great.

I think that if U2 wanted to do something to "clean up" Pop, they should go backwards and look at some of the earlier versions of the songs.

I do remember some in U2 by U2 saying that the songs went through too many cooks. I think it'd be really interesting to hear what many of those songs sounded like six months or so before the album release.

i think the changes they will do in these case, are the same changes made in the live version of the songs, i think if they re-recorder as played in the popmart tour, will be awsome.

Pop is the last great record they made, in my opinion. If they rework it, I'm pretty sure it will pale in comparison to the original.

:doh:

Look, I'm not a huge 'Pop' fan, but I'd be very disappointed if they 'remixed' or 'reworked' the album and put it out in that format only. The album is fine, warts and all...:yes: There are a few damn good songs on that album, and really, why distort history...:shrug:

Like I said they really need to remaster the orginal but don`t change anything.
Then they could put the reworked version as an 2nd disc.
It will be really interesting to see how they visioned it if they had more time.

Now it would be really cool if the reworked disc version of LNOE will have that live guitar solo part at the end.
That would be just:drool:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

I think they realise POP's biggest problem is some quite poor songs which no form of reworking will improve upon

Back
Top Bottom