When is the next remaster/reissue coming? Any guesses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morgan1098

War Child
I know the original plan was for the "entire back catalogue" to be remastered and reissued, but since U2 went with different packaging for Achtung Baby and since it technically wasn't remastered, AND since CD sales continue to slide, I feared the AB box would be the last physical reissue we would see.

HOWEVER, I just read an article stating that CD sales actually rebounded a bit in 2011 and that the record companies are in no hurry to abandon the format because they can charge more for CDs than for downloads.

So I'm still holding out hope that we'll see R&H and Pop at the very least. A separate Zooropa re-release and Passengers seem less likely.

What do you think? I'd like to see R&H and Pop before the end of this year or early next year, but I have no idea what the U2 camp is thinking at this point.

I doubt Zooropa is going to happen, and I'm 100% sure Passengers won't happen as it's not a U2 album.

Pop and RnH? Well, McG did say that the entire back catalog would be reissued, so they should happen. Perhaps we get a 25th anniversary RnH package in october 2013. And Pop, I guess they're going to have that as late as possible, we all know how much the band loves this album. :rolleyes:

The only way I can see Passengers happening is if it gets bundled in with a Pop remaster. That would cover mid-nineties U2 neatly. Other than that...Attyclub 15th anniversary in 2015 seems a pretty good bet. I doubt they'll do Zooropa separately now since they've already tweaked it for the AB boxset.

Actually, I'm sure they will want to update the commonly available version of Zooropa to make it the tweaked version. The only question is whether they give us a disc 2, and there certainly is enough material still to warrant it.

I expect R&H will get a deluxe treatment. Not AB deluxe, but the level that JT got.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pop and Passengers released together.

Lovetown show on a R&H Deluxe Edition? That'd be awesome. But I guess I can keep dreaming. I think Zooropa will (and deserves to) recieve a separate release but I also won't be surprised if it doesn't get one. Question is, as Niceman stated, would it be just a single disc or get deluxe treatment. I'd love a deluxe Zooropa, just 2 CD like the BOCTOWAR sets.

I could see Zooropa coming out soon as a single and two-disc set. I don't see them going the Super Deluxe route for it, so there'd be no reason to time it for a particular anniversary. Just cobble together the b-sides and better remixes on a second disc and they're done.

Rattle & Hum will surely get a Super Deluxe set in 2013. There's more than enough great material sitting out there for an excellent DVD or two.

Seriously, all I ask is an official release of one of the Lovetown shows that was filmed. I don't care how we get it, but a R&H remaster is an obvious vehicle.

Axver said:
Seriously, all I ask is an official release of one of the Lovetown shows that was filmed. I don't care how we get it, but a R&H remaster is an obvious vehicle.

This times 10. Lovetown was too awesome. I needs me some moar videoz of it :drool:.

though given what happened with the achtung baby box set, i bet you whenever the rattle and hum remaster comes out, it'll just have...the rattle and hum dvd with it. even though it's not even a true concert. i hope i'm proven wrong though, because i want as many u2 live dvds as possible.

though given what happened with the achtung baby box set, i bet you whenever the rattle and hum remaster comes out, it'll just have...the rattle and hum dvd with it. even though it's not even a true concert. i hope i'm proven wrong though, because i want as many u2 live dvds as possible.

I would share your pessimism, but there seem to be very real rights issues which would keep the movie and the album separate. Universal verses 20th Century Fox, right? They would have to pay a lot of money to include the movie. That doesn't mean we will get a Lovetown show, but it probably means the movie won't be in the box.

Oh yeah, I'm totally pessimistic - if there's a RAH remaster, I won't be shocked if it doesn't even have a bonus DVD, just the regular CD and some random extras on a bonus disc. But there's so much amazing footage from that era that it's almost criminal for there to not be an official release. We KNOW they have 18 November 1989, Sydney in full. We KNOW it's one of the most fiery and passionate Lovetown gigs. How hard can it be to put it out officially?

Well I always felt that the JT Paris film was included in the remaster to beef it up a little, there would have been precious little footage of the band in action without it.

If, as Niceman says, there's a rights issue preventing (or at least complicating) the inclusion of the R&H movie on the remaster, then I think the same principle applies.

We have the videos and the Lovetown documentary, but that's it, there's nothing else from the era officially out there. Logically the only option open to them is to include one of the professionally filmed concerts from the tour.

My guess is that they'd go for the New Years Eve gig, as it's probably the most significant, plus the snippets to be found in the From The Sky Down doc seem to suggest that the whole thing was indeed captured on film.

Without a Lovetown show, the R&H remaster is going to be pretty thin on the ground.

But that's just me being optimistic.

As for when we'll actually be able to get a hold of any of this stuff is anyone's guess, especially as with R&H and Pop, we're down to the less popular releases, for both the public and the band.

I would share your pessimism, but there seem to be very real rights issues which would keep the movie and the album separate. Universal verses 20th Century Fox, right? They would have to pay a lot of money to include the movie. That doesn't mean we will get a Lovetown show, but it probably means the movie won't be in the box.

Also, it's unlikely Rattle & Hum would be there since it mostly documents the Joshua Tree tour. Makes way more sense for the DVD to be Lovetown footage. Otherwise, it's like coupling the Joshua Tree with a performance from the Unforgettable Fire tour (interspersed with some JT recording sessions). It just doesn't really fit. No way will they bundle that movie in because of both the rights issues and historical context.

Don't credit U2 (or more to the point, some goons at the record label compiling this shit with minimal effort and then getting the band to sign off on it) with too much logic in what goes on releases.

The decisions on what go on these reissues are purely based on business considerations and don't have a lot to do with fan wish lists. For that reason, I doubt there will be a separate Zooropa release. I guess anything is possible, but if they were going to do that I doubt they would have included it in the AB reissue. I guessing U2, their label, etc. just don't see a large enough market for it. And it's hard to see any scenario where they'd put any work into a reissue of Passengers.

I'm sure Pop will get a reissue, but it's hard to imagine U2 doing much with it beyond that. I think the time for re-recording, remixing, "finishing" it, whatever, like they talked about once upon a time has passed. I doubt the band is that interested in revisiting it at this point. I'd guess we'd get a 2 disc set composing of a "tweaked" version of the original, plus a disc of b-sides (including the new versions of some songs for the 90/00 compilation), and they'll inevitably throw in Popmart Mexico City as a "bonus".

R&H I can see getting a bit more work. Despite the supposed controversy surrounding it, it was a huge selling album at the time and very popular among U2 fans and the general public. One thing I'd like to see on a reissued/remastered (I'd guess this one is a good candidates for remaster) Rattle and Hum is a separation of the live and studio material into two separate discs. There's a great live album in there, and a great studio album, but I always thought they could be better as stand alone pieces. Just add some of the b-sides and unreleased stuff to the tracks on the existing studio recordings and you have a great "studio" album IMO. Then for the second CD just put on ALL the live songs from the film. Call the studio disc "Rattle & Sun" and the live one "Outside It's America". Throw in Lovetown as a 3rd CD, and you're good to go. For a DVD, a high quality video of one of the Lovetown shows (if there is such a thing) would be most welcome as well. There's your 4-disc set.

But again, that's just my wish list. More than likely we'll just see a reissue/remaster of the original release with a disc of b-sides. Sigh.

As far as the film goes, even though they were marketed together and it's normal to associate them w/each other, the R&H album and movie are two separate properties. I read recently that they had to get permission from Paramount to use some of the R&H outtakes in Gugenheim's doc (though apparently U2 does still own some of that footage as well). Whether as part of a R&H reissue or a stand alone release, I'd love to see an expanded/restored R&H movie (and it sorely needs restoration, and at a minimum a new HD transfer), but unless U2 wants buy back the film rights from Paramount (and movie studios don't give up properties easily or cheaply, especially when they know that U2 has deep pockets), that's not going to happen any time soon.

And my prediction is that will be the end of the U2 re-issues in CD format. I think ATYCLB and Bomb will eventually get "deluxe" reissues, but probably in a digital format. I actually believe the entire back catalogue will be remastered again in 96khz/24bit for digital release at some point.

What I'm wondering about is the timing of these releases. U2 notoriously doesn't like to "look back" and I'm not sure when they'd think would be an appropriate time to put those records back out there. Certainly at this stage of their career I don't think they'd put out a reissue so close to a new record, so I think that will be the determining factor on the timing of any reissues.

Axver said:
Oh yeah, I'm totally pessimistic - if there's a RAH remaster, I won't be shocked if it doesn't even have a bonus DVD, just the regular CD and some random extras on a bonus disc. But there's so much amazing footage from that era that it's almost criminal for there to not be an official release. We KNOW they have 18 November 1989, Sydney in full. We KNOW it's one of the most fiery and passionate Lovetown gigs. How hard can it be to put it out officially?

Not to mention Dublin. I'm fairly certain that they have more footage from those shows than just Streets and I Will Follow from New Year's Eve. A few years ago, in an Easter Egg on the Sydney bonus DVD, there was a feature that included footage of the "dream it all up again" speech, for one.

A few years ago, in an Easter Egg on the Sydney bonus DVD, there was a feature that included footage of the "dream it all up again" speech, for one.

I believe that was actually just audio of the dream it all up again speech, voicing over footage of U2 and BB's band doing a curtain call. (Most likely Saperstein's footage, given the cinematic quality.)

If anything, it looks like the New Year's gig was taped for the band's purposes (as they've done for years), not filmed for audience consumption. And the footage on "From the Sky Down" from the show looked slightly warped (remember "tracking" on VHS?). Since that concert was broadcast around the world, the band and their crew were probably focused on making sure the audio broadcast went well, as opposed to putting a lot of energy into filming a really superb visual show. So I'm willing to bet that, as much as we'd all like to see it, it would probably be underwhelming.

Probably a low-key remaster/re-release of Rattle and Hum or Pop.
Here's my 1990s prediction:

3 album box set with remastered 2 disc versions of Zooropa, Passengers, and Pop, just like the 1980s box.
But this is what I would really like.

Also, it's unlikely Rattle & Hum would be there since it mostly documents the Joshua Tree tour. Makes way more sense for the DVD to be Lovetown footage. Otherwise, it's like coupling the Joshua Tree with a performance from the Unforgettable Fire tour (interspersed with some JT recording sessions). It just doesn't really fit. No way will they bundle that movie in because of both the rights issues and historical context.

Interesting point.

Given Bono's positive comments towards Pop and Popmart in the last year or so, I'd actually bet we'll get a remaster of Pop at some point, maybe this year. I don't think they're just going to pretend like the album never happened. In fact, I'd say there's a fair chance that we'll get a remastered Pop and as a second bonus disc, they'll rerecord some of the songs they're unhappy with. They did talk about rerecording Pop sometime around the Vertigo tour, no? Seems like the perfect excuse to do it.

Given Bono's positive comments towards Pop and Popmart in the last year or so, I'd actually bet we'll get a remaster of Pop at some point, maybe this year. I don't think they're just going to pretend like the album never happened. In fact, I'd say there's a fair chance that we'll get a remastered Pop and as a second bonus disc, they'll rerecord some of the songs they're unhappy with. They did talk about rerecording Pop sometime around the Vertigo tour, no? Seems like the perfect excuse to do it.

t0mepx.jpg

Back
Top Bottom