When is the next remaster/reissue coming? Any guesses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Finishing" Pop would be like George Lucas "finishing" the first three Star Wars movies... it would be touted as something "better" and "more consistent with the band's vision," but the end result would likely be... LAME, LAME LAME. I think Pop should be left alone, warts and all.

I agree. Unless it was made up of the "finishing" they did back then when they were still in the Pop mindset. They "finished" Please, Angels, and Last Night... and who knows if they did others at that time.

They could conceivably include a disk that is Pop reworked. You'd get the three single versions that you just mentioned, the Best Of versions of Gone, Discotheque and Staring At The Sun....couple that with the Mofo remix from the CD single, Bono's "Velvet Dress" remake with Jools Holland and they'd be on to something. Personally, I don't feel that "Playboy Mansion" or "Miami" have enough going on musically to be worth fixing....they're just some beats with very laidback vocal stuff laid over the top. The band could totally have the second disc be a "new" version of Pop with all of the aformentioned changes. Replace "Mansion" and "Miami" with "I'm Not Your Baby" and "Holy Joe" and have the band tweak "Wake Up, Dead Man" and "Do You Feel Loved"....it would make for a very interesting second disc that could be rounded out with b-sides, outtakes and a few remixes.

If they tried to "finish" or "rework" Pop now, the chances are they'd neuter it. They would cut its balls off. Pop is raw, angsty, dark, restless and they are none of those things now. I'm all for it being tweaked sonically like AB and Zooropa, but they shoudn't go back in the studio. And they won't, thank god.

I don't feel that "Playboy Mansion" or "Miami" have enough going on musically to be worth fixing....they're just some beats with very laidback vocal stuff laid over the top.

A) I've never heard Miami being called some beats with "a very laidback vocal" so that's interesting...but B) have you heard a live version of it? I reckon they'd do well to make it sound more like that if they can't grow out of the idea of 'finishing' Pop and HAVE to go back into the studio (hopefully they never will)

---

anyway I typed a load on Pop before in some other thread a while back and whenever I've written a long post recently it's just faded into the background so I won't waste anyone's time :wink: suffice to say that personally I think it'd be great if they just put together a CD of the best performance of each song from Pop, had a non mexico city show on a dvd with some of the more interesting popmart documentaries and leave it at that. :)

A) I've never heard Miami being called some beats with "a very laidback vocal" so that's interesting...but B) have you heard a live version of it? I reckon they'd do well to make it sound more like that if they can't grow out of the idea of 'finishing' Pop and HAVE to go back into the studio (hopefully they never will)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj_EqKn73LU

:drool:

I love Foxboro, too, with the ridiculous dancing Bono does with the girl on stage... and Edmonton, with "ba ba ba ba ba ba fuckin' ba"...

I think the chances for a Pop remaster this year is high if there's no new album. I can't remember where I saw the quote, but U2 seems to like releasing a product every year, even if it's something minor. I think they've only really been doing this since the 2000s, but can't say for sure.

So unless there's a new record, I think they'll be some sort of reissue this year.

I think the chances for a Pop remaster this year is high if there's no new album. I can't remember where I saw the quote, but U2 seems to like releasing a product every year, even if it's something minor. I think they've only really been doing this since the 2000s, but can't say for sure.

So unless there's a new record, I think they'll be some sort of reissue this year.

I think this is true and I was thinking along the same lines. When's the last time they went a 4th quarter without releasing SOMETHING?

I still hope against hope for a real album, but if not, a re-issue is the most likely boobie-prize, isn't it?

Well, we are now in the Middle of June and still nothing is promised for 2012.
As most movies or albums are announced a couple of months in advance the probability is growing every day that 2012 will be a year without any U2 release.

I still hope that there will be the 25 years anniversary for Ratlle and Hum next year. And I really like Nick's idea about the Studio (maybe inlcluding the B-Sides and outtakes) and Live (including the songs left from the movie) split. Please let that happen, god ;)

And a Lovetown tour DVD? I'd die for that.

amano said:
As most movies or albums are announced a couple of months in advance the probability is growing every day that 2012 will be a year without any U2 release.

I still hope that there will be the 25 years anniversary for Ratlle and Hum next year. And I really like Nick's idea about the Studio (maybe inlcluding the B-Sides and outtakes) and Live (including the songs left from the movie) split. Please let that happen, god ;)

And a Lovetown tour DVD? I'd die for that.

Going off what they produced for the achtung baby set all we would get is a remaster of the orginal album,blu ray of the movie and that live in paris itunes special on cd. More or less everything weve already got.

It's usually not until end of summer when we've heard about remastered releases, so if they were to release another remaster, we've got some time yet. Not sure what they would release though, since there's usually been some kind of "hook" -- 20 years of Joshua Tree, 25 years of Unforgettable Fire, 20 years of Achtung. BOCTOWAR SKY was a bit of an anomaly, more to do with the need to push out new product than anything else.

As unlikely as Passengers would be, I want to hear some of the bizarre early Passengers sessions that Bill Flannagan describes in his book. Could you imagine a CD full of those improvisions w/ Eno?

I want to hear the thing they were working on with Neneh Cherry -- according to Flanagan, a bass-powered track that's been around since Hansa.

Back
Top Bottom