When have you been brought to tears by a U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'm about to piss off every person on Interference right now. But I find Streets overrated. Granted I love it... But I feel like everyone loves it so much here they want to marry it. Great song, but far from my favorite.

Nope, that would be Acrobat :)

I'm listening to Acrobat right now. I'm crying because there's people out there who don't like this song or don't consider it the 2nd coming. :sad:

:(

I'm listening to Acrobat right now. I'm crying because there's people out there who don't like this song or don't consider it the 2nd coming. :sad:

:(

I'm really starting to grow a slight disliking for that song now that I hadn't felt before.

That's what discussing U2 music on a U2 forum can do to you.

The Miss Sarajevo at the Clinton concert made me cry. The whole opera/Bono and his Dad connection and probably other things going on in my life that have zero to do with it. It's also just the way he sang it, it just moved me.

Kite at my first U2 concert made me cry. All That You Can't Leave Behind came out just as my father had been diagnosed with Leukemia. I saw a show on the 2nd NA leg just months after he had died and Kite made my cry. One also got to me when they displayed the names of the dead.

More recently, AIWIY at Seattle made me cry as I wasn't expecting it and it's one of my favorite songs that I never thought I'd get to experience live.

The Miss Sarajevo at the Clinton concert made me cry. The whole opera/Bono and his Dad connection and probably other things going on in my life that have zero to do with it. It's also just the way he sang it, it just moved me.

I was very moved by that performance, too.

In fact I found the whole set quite moving, the whole atmosphere, the intimacy and intensity, and Bono seemed so into it, singing with so much passion.

Miss Sarajevo always reminds me of the first 360 concert I saw when I went to Milan back in July 2009. The whole stadium sang along with the opera part and the atmosphere was amazing. I still get tears in my eyes and goosebumps when I think about how beautiful that was.

I must admit I was surprised when I first encountered this forum a couple of years ago and everyone was orgasming over the greatness of "Acrobat". I mean, it's a typically great U2 song on an utterly brilliant album, but I've never thought of it as anything exceptional within U2's arsenal. The most notable thing about it, I thought, was the time signature.

As much as my previous posts here were intentionally irreverant, this topic has made me think about the emotional state people are in when they choose to listen to certain music. It seems that for a lot of people on this thread, U2's music is employed as a catharsis, especially in times of emotional bereavement. For myself, however, that's not the case (with U2, that is). I tend to listen to U2 when I'm quite sober and desiring a spiritual or emotional uplift -- but not to make me feel better when I'm devastated (luckily, I haven't been devastated very often).

Come to think of it, I don't know what I listen to when I'm sad. To tell the truth, I'm almost never sad or depressed.

Anyway, there are certain 'moods' for which U2's music has less appeal for me. If I were in a hopeless or despairing state, I wouldn't choose to listen to U2. If I were drunk and in a party-mood, I also wouldn't choose to listen to U2. But I think when I'm quite sober and wanting to feel 'clean' and spiritually uplifted, their music hits all the right notes (so to speak).

Bad. It was the only song I wanted to hear live at least once. After MOS ended in Pittsburgh I was thinking OK well I only have one more chance this tour, but then Bono started talking about doing a song for a friend for the encore and I didn't even want to hope but I had a feeling it had to be it. When they started playing it I was so happy. I got pretty choked up during it, but it was beautiful. I cried a little. :heart: It was perfect.

That did it for me, too. I was hoping for a bonus after MOS since it was the last US date on the tour but thought it would be Out of Control. When they started into Bad, I started trembling and grabbed my husband's shoulder so tight. By the time Bono hit the first "I'm wide awake", I had tears running down my face. It was perfect.

The first time I heard "Kite" after my father's death in 2005. (Not my first listen, of course, but the first occurrence after he passed.)

"Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know where the wind will blow
Who's to know when the time has come around
I don't wanna see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye"

My dad had shot himself after being clinically depressed for several years. I'd planned to go see him the day before he died, but got tied up in household errands & talked myself out of going because, truth be told, I'd found myself having difficulty seeing him so pitiful. (Until his retirement & subsequent depression, my father had always been an optimist, a jokester & a generally well-tempered guy to be around.)

I felt a lot of guilt (and still do) that I made excuses that Sunday. The line "I don't want to see you cry, I know that this is not goodbye" brought me to my knees for several years after his passing. It still makes me teary-eyed. :sad:

On a less morbid note, I cried tears of pure, unadulterated elation the first time I heard "Bad" & ISHFWILF live. And the end of the absolutely perfect Pittsburgh show this July brought bittersweet tears to my eyes: sweet because it's the best live show I've ever experienced and bitter because it was the end of the tour road for me.

My dad died of complications from lung cancer on August 5th of this year. He went downhill rapidly and I live about 3-4 hours away. My mom called on a Thursday and said I needed to get home for the weekend. I left early the next morning but he died about 15-20 minutes before I got to the hospital. I feel awful that I didn't get there in time to say good-bye to him... I haven't been able to bring myself to listen to Kite since then. I think I would completely lose it.

I was also at the Pittsburgh show this summer and Bad brought me to tears, too.

I've never completely cried to any song... until today. It had been one of the shittiest days I'd had in a while, and I started crying during One from Slane Castle. What a :censored:ing masterpiece that song is.

That did it for me, too. I was hoping for a bonus after MOS since it was the last US date on the tour but thought it would be Out of Control. When they started into Bad, I started trembling and grabbed my husband's shoulder so tight. By the time Bono hit the first "I'm wide awake", I had tears running down my face. It was perfect.

:heart:

I've never completely cried to any song... until today. It had been one of the shittiest days I'd had in a while, and I started crying during One from Slane Castle. What a :censored:ing masterpiece that song is.
that song is so amazing.

Never really took the time to enjoy One. I mean, I'd sing along and love it when they played it live, but I never really took the time when the studio version came up on my iPod. I'd just skip over it.

In honor of my Achtung Baby month I've been listening to it start to finish a lot, no stopping, no skipping. Every time I've done this. I've cried during One. Usually at the "Did I ask too much? More than a lot" part through the end of the song. Such a beautiful song and I'm sad I never took the time earlier to truly listen and fall in love with it.

I agree, One has never been one of my favorites, and I feel like I should appreciate it more.

Wow, Panther/Numbers, you keep coming back to this thread, yet you don't even have the decency to apologise for your staggeringly ill-timed and insensitive post? Admitting it was intentionally irreverent doesn't make it OK; it just makes you look like an even bigger tosspot. Find some maturity and do the right thing.

As for the original topic: One Tree Hill. 25 November 2006. Last song of the concert. The original One Tree Hill on the horizon. I don't think I need to elaborate.

Wow, Panther/Numbers, you keep coming back to this thread, yet you don't even have the decency to apologise for your staggeringly ill-timed and insensitive post? Admitting it was intentionally irreverent doesn't make it OK; it just makes you look like an even bigger tosspot.
I don't know why you think I want to apologize for any post. I don't.
Find some maturity and do the right thing.
Like calling people "tosspots"?

I don't know why you think I want to apologize for any post. I don't.

I don't think you want to; I think you need to take a long, hard look at yourself and realise that you should. Seriously, you really think that post was OK? You might want to stop digging this hole you've got yourself into.

Like calling people "tosspots"?

I think that's a polite term for anybody willing to post what you wrote, honestly.

Axver, I checked the weather in New Zealand. The sun is shining, the air is clean. Go out, enjoy some sunshine, and then come back in to your computer area. The world of online forum posting will again seem fresh.

Axver, I checked the weather in New Zealand. The sun is shining, the air is clean. Go out, enjoy some sunshine, and then come back in to your computer area. The world of online forum posting will again seem fresh.
be condescending all you want (oh, and he's not in nz), he has a point. your insensitive post certainly seems like you were just trying to get a reaction, and oh, isn't that the very definition of trolling? if you don't have an actual contribution to make to this thread other than stirring up drama, i suggest you don't post in here anymore.

be condescending all you want (oh, and he's not in nz), he has a point. your insensitive post certainly seems like you were just trying to get a reaction, and oh, isn't that the very definition of trolling? if you don't have an actual contribution to make to this thread other than stirring up drama, i suggest you don't post in here anymore.
I made two or three contributions to this thread, which were all about music and U2. I did not call out anyone with a post, as Axver did. (I also didn't call anyone a 'tosspot'.) Try to get the information right.

Did you even READ the post you quoted the Kite lyrics from? It is astoundingly insensitive to bitch about how awful the lyrics are after someone just posted a deeply personal, heartwrenching story about how meaningful those words are to her. That you can't admit to that is a little troubling.

Try to get the information right.

Sassing the mods won't win you any favors here, either.

Last edited:
The version of One from Modena, Italy in 1995
with Bono, Edge, and an orchestra makes me
start bawling. Every time. Especially
from the "One love, One blood" line on.

Also, tears well up whenever I see the video for
SYCMIOYO because my grandma died of cancer
about a month ago.

And Kite... well, who (besides a certain SOMEONE)
is absolutely not touched by those lyrics?

Last edited:
Wake up dead man - The day after my mother passed away

I've only cried during a concert once. During Stuck in a moment - Anaheim 2, the same night my mom was supposed to go with me. I bought her that ticket in order to make up for her missing the Rose Bowl show. It was quite hard to hear Bono talk about being two years younger when the tickets were bought

Back
Top Bottom