When Did U2 Lose The Plot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I agree for the most part but this topic has been discussed approximately 7265452389456723 times in this forum. HTDAAB indeed seems like their Rattle n Hum where the huge success of JT and ATYCLB may have gotten to their heads. I'm hoping the new album will move in a completely new direction and not simply celebrate their classic sound. Time will tell.

So you use your first post in this forum to advertise your own personal website. That's not only against the rules, it reeks of trollish behaviour, not unlike the first time I came across a post from this guy named "Beaver". Man, that guy makes me sick.

Anyway, when did U2 lose the plot? Probably around the same time Bono lost his laptop during the October sessions. I heard he was working on a blockbuster screenplay then.

Well I agree for the most part but this topic has been discussed approximately 7265452389456723 times in this forum. HTDAAB indeed seems like their Rattle n Hum where the huge success of JT and ATYCLB may have gotten to their heads. I'm hoping the new album will move in a completely new direction and not simply celebrate their classic sound. Time will tell.

Even in this forum, most people acknowledge Bomb > ATYCLB. Both albums got similar reviews and awards so I think the more accurate comparison would be Rattle and Hum and Popmart (where success of JT and Zoo TV got to them). The only two times when U2 genuinely got burned.

A person with an opinion and little in the way of facts?

On the internet?

Consider my mind blown.

Even in this forum, most people acknowledge Bomb > ATYCLB. Both albums got similar reviews and awards so I think the more accurate comparison would be Rattle and Hum and Popmart (where success of JT and Zoo TV got to them). The only two times when U2 genuinely got burned.

Maybe Pop qualifies too, I'm not sure. But I definitely do think Bomb qualifies. ATYCLB was at least emotional and heartfelt even though some of the songs were lacking. HTDAAB and the Vertigo tour just came off incredibly over-confident, whether it be the overproduced and loud album or the cheesy star poses on tour. It's like they were saying "Yeah bitches, we rule your world! Celebrate us! We are bigger than God!" :wink: Maybe we'll see a more humble Bono for the new album? :corn:

Maybe Pop qualifies too, I'm not sure. But I definitely do think Bomb qualifies. ATYCLB was at least emotional and heartfelt even though some of the songs were lacking. HTDAAB and the Vertigo tour just came off incredibly over-confident, whether it be the overproduced and loud album or the cheesy star poses on tour. It's like they were saying "Yeah bitches, we rule your world! Celebrate us! We are bigger than God!" :wink: Maybe we'll see a more humble Bono for the new album? :corn:

I find more emotion and heartfelt things in Bomb. ATYCLB just seems almost too slick and sugary soundwise for U2, plus it collapses about halfway through. Bomb arguably gets better as it goes on in comparison. And while there was a bit more critisism in the reviews, it's still about up there with ATYCLB. Certainly no massive backlash compared to Rattle and P-mart.

As for cheesy poses and "Yeah bitches, we rule your world! Celebrate us! We are bigger than God!" I thought that was a common U2 - and Bono in particular - critique they've been facing for years. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom