What's the story with "Cry" ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Registered Dude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Listening to the remasters on Apple music and I notice this "song" gets a separate billing from The Electric Co. Not sure I've ever picked up on that before

Was there ever a full version of this song?
Is it tacked onto the Electric Co because the two songs are thematically related?
Why does Is That All? feature the same riff?

so many questions.

Last edited:
I think in the case of "Is that all?", they felt like they had this awesome riff (The Cry) laying around doing nothing (at that point "The Cry / The Electric Co was not a classic live combo yet) and they tacked it onto ITA?, which needed an intro/bridge. Why not? It's a good riff, it was in the right key and timing.

Not sure if it was ever a full song in itself or not. I'm not very aware of it's history.

PS- I know that they did play The Cry-Electric Co together a lot back in those days, but that was before U2 had ever released a live album and had that pairing cemented in their legacy. To them, it was probably just a riff they didn't know what to do with.

It has always been just a tag intro to The Electric Co.. I would not at all be surprised if it's listed separately because they got the setlist from Axver's site.

October was a rush job, Is That All? was recorded as they were being kicked out of the recording studio if I remember correctly, so they just took The Cry riff and thrashed it into a song to stick on the end of the album.

Haha cheers Headache. I think what's been said covers it fairly well really.

Truth be told I'm not entirely happy with having it listed separately on U2gigs, but that ship has sailed. Unless we figure out a way to implement medleys it won't be changed.

I'm unaware of one.

Is it tacked onto the Electric Co because the two songs are thematically related?

That's my guess. Its origins are obscure. It just shows up one day during the first European leg of the Boy Tour. The Electric Co. itself had only been in the live set for a few months. It then hung around as a permanent intro/micro-song for five years, before resurfacing to open a majority of the Vertigo Tour versions in 2005. It doesn't even really change, besides Bono sometimes (probably by mistake) altering the lyrics.

What Cobbler said re: desperation. I'm surprised they did all-new lyrics rather than expanding on the theme of The Cry.

It has always been just a tag intro to The Electric Co.. I would not at all be surprised if it's listed separately because they got the setlist from Axver's site.
I recall seeing it listed separately on bootlegs in the 80's so I don't think its because of BeetlejuiceAxver's site.

I founded the website after I saw my first show in 1977.

I was born ten years later and it's been all downhill from there.

Its origins are obscure. It just shows up one day during the first European leg of the Boy Tour. The Electric Co. itself had only been in the live set for a few months. It then hung around as a permanent intro/micro-song for five years, before resurfacing to open a majority of the Vertigo Tour versions in 2005. It doesn't even really change, besides Bono sometimes (probably by mistake) altering the lyrics.

you're a gem.

I'm surprised they did all-new lyrics rather than expanding on the theme of The Cry.

Yep. Because Is That All? is all the bums.

I founded the website after I saw my first show in 1977.

I was born ten years later and it's been all downhill from there.

So is the real Axver:

A.
RonRobinson_Beetlejuice.jpg

B.
tumblr_maqo9oPxUZ1qzytg1.jpg

C.
grant-elliott-new-zealand-world-cup.jpg

or

D..
220px-EdgarWinter06.jpg

Hands down D! I think I actually met him at a Boston show .... Vertigo Tour possibly???

Definitely C. When I'm not working on U2gigs I'm an international cricketer. I'm surprised nobody realised this before.

Hell, at that Boston show I was wearing a New Zealand cricket shirt. THE CLUES WERE THERE PEOPLE.

Listening to the remasters on Apple music and I notice this "song" gets a separate billing from The Electric Co. Not sure I've ever picked up on that before

so many questions.

Hey RD
can answer a bit on this.
The first interview I read with u2 was done before they hit the US back in Fall 1980 . Bono mentioned that The Cry was about hard times economically, drugs, and else-wise.

Hey RD
can answer a bit on this.
The first interview I read with u2 was done before they hit the US back in Fall 1980 . Bono mentioned that The Cry was about hard times economically, drugs, and else-wise.

really?

wow, that's cool. thanks.. great memory!

There's a bit of discrepancy on the title of this song, as it is usually listed as The Cry, but on the first place it was released, as a bside to Fire in 1981, was listed as Cry. Because of this I always refer to it as just Cry.

That guy looks like the Ice King going through a midlife crisis...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom