What's next for Interference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah why not? Been a while since we've run any tournaments.

I lurk here once in a while still. Without interference, I never would've learned who invented retractable roofs - U2kitten, right?

Actually forget that. The U2 subreddit is so nice because people actually like the band there.

I've been mad about U2 for fucking years, absolutely years
Been over The Edge for yonks

Agree that the forum is too wide ranging. There's too many sub-forums even to the point that you didn't quite know which one to post your opener in. It needs a diet.

Actually forget that. The U2 subreddit is so nice because people actually like the band there.
The problem with reddit is that criticism/negativity tends to get downvoted until it sinks down the page or is actively filtered out. If Nick thought the hive mind here was bad, he wouldn't last 10 minutes on reddit.

Last edited:
I tried for five minutes on the U2 reddit but I found it insanely over-the-top positive. I can't remember what it was, but some random was talking about how great and amazing something 2015-onwards-U2 was in a sycophantic fashion and it turned me off immediately.

And before people jump in on me, I actually think the community we've got here is really quite supportive of the band... we're just not arse-licking sycophants. All of us who've had really negative posts over the last few years I would argue also have a great number of posts supportive of them, we're just frustrated that they are not living up to their potential.

But the inability to say like "hey I think a lot of the songs they've released as singles recently are super shit and demean the great songs they've written" mean I won't be a member there unless things change and we all migrate.

I tried for five minutes on the U2 reddit but I found it insanely over-the-top positive. I can't remember what it was, but some random was talking about how great and amazing something 2015-onwards-U2 was in a sycophantic fashion and it turned me off immediately.

And before people jump in on me, I actually think the community we've got here is really quite supportive of the band... we're just not arse-licking sycophants. All of us who've had really negative posts over the last few years I would argue also have a great number of posts supportive of them, we're just frustrated that they are not living up to their potential.

But the inability to say like "hey I think a lot of the songs they've released as singles recently are super shit and demean the great songs they've written" mean I won't be a member there unless things change and we all migrate.

Yeah, I think it's all about balance and perspective. I side more with the positive vibes on reddit and actually prefer the U2 reddit page over Interference. It's not because I can't take negative opinions but sometimes I think the folks, yourself included (and I say it with love my friend) who are not feeling positive towards the band always seem to interject their negative opinions in threads that start out with positive vibes and then the threads just tend to spiral with endless debates. I love U2, Biffy Clyro, and many other bands, each who I subscribe to the reddit pages, and I don't run into endless debates, but if anything I get to celebrate my love for the bands without constant conflict.

Just my take I guess.

8ToY.gif

sometimes I think the folks, yourself included (and I say it with love my friend) who are not feeling positive towards the band always seem to interject their negative opinions in threads that start out with positive vibes and then the threads just tend to spiral with endless debates.

Just my take I guess.

Spot on.

I love 80s U2 but think October is terrible(save for Gloria) and Boys production makes it a difficult listen.

I really like 90s U2 but think Zooropa was terrible (save for Stay) and Pop was disappointing (although I like some of the tunes a lot). Achtung is simply so amazing that it carries the decade for me.

I really like millennial U2 but think NLOTH(save for Magnificent, MOS and Breathe) and SOE (I’ll talk more about this in the SOE thread) were let downs.

I can honestly say I love songs/ albums from every “era” and strongly dislike songs/albums from every era but the general feeling I get from a group of regular posters on here is that anything from 2000 forward is utter crap save for a song here and there and to me it’s just odd to me and discouraged me to talk about the songs I like.

There was a poster who wrote that they would put The Blackout is elite/near elite U2. And another poster replied not with a conversation or different take but simply saying something along the lines of “you must be joking”(if I recall it was a poster who always defends Zooropa and Pop as quintessential U2....which is fine but not my take for sure)

That stuck out to me because I think The Blackout is a really great U2 song. Mixed well with one of the best choruses U2 has ever laid down. I get if you don’t like it but to dismiss it would be like dismissing Discotheque, Even Better Than the Real Thing, etc...(to me at least). It’s as if just because it’s on a 2000+ album it automatically is garbage and will only be qualified as “for a post Pop song it’s not bad”.

I like most U2, including a large chunk of post-2000 U2, and I don't like The Blackout at all. It doesn't make sense to me that if you like a band, you'll assume that anything new they release will be bad. You try to find the good, but if you simply don't like a particular song, no point trying to force a different outcome to fit a narrative on an internet forum.

I'm comfortable with liking or disliking modern U2. It is what it is at this point. There was a time when I got really invested in their new releases to the point that I would be upset if I felt let down by them, but my tepid responses to the last two records taught me the hard lesson that life goes on without my favorite band firing on all cylinders.

That said, if all of a sudden Edge started playing guitar with the same creativity and innovation that he used to and Bono came through with an album of lyrics on par with Achtung Baby, I'd love that. I just don't set my expectations very high in the meanwhile.

Before Interference slows down much more than it already has post-tour, any further thoughts on running a Rate The Song thing?

Seriously, someone do it.

Precede it with Rate the Album, like how we'd do Album Survivors to seed Song Survivors? No need to seed anything in the rate series, but could be good just in and of itself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom