What would you do without U2? - atu2 QOM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allegra

Refugee
The stars at night are big and bright *clap, clap,
Howdy folks!

Just checking in here to see if I could find different answers to my question I sent in to atu2. I was really hoping that there would be less answers of the weeping kind and more of those along the lines of those moving on. I'm not saying that U2 will never be in my heart, but faced with a realistic decision not everyone out there I hope will close the door to other bands and new music. I can be a concert junkie at times, therefore I just had to find someone else's band wagon to get on so that I wouldn't fall into that pit of dispair. As you know folks, U2 will not be around physically forever. And too the reason why I brought this question up in the first place was the day Bono's back went out. That's when it got me to thinking. What if Bono's situation caused him to end the band right then and there? Would you be prepared for the worst news? And what would you do?

@U2 QOM August 2010: What if U2 broke up?

Now, don't get me wrong...I'm pretty sure I'll go through all of the same emotions as everyone else. U2 will forever be #1 and I'll constantly think of the good-ol'-days, it's just that I'm glad to have Coldplay there as my second favorite and helping me keep my sanity in check! But really, by letting go early in the game has helped me see the light and be more open...for example I think Muse could be my #3!

The first step and the hardest part is that you just have to let go!

I really don't think that U2 would want us sitting there in our own puddle of tears without ever moving on for the rest of our lives.

;)

I would probably go on believing that all bands have perfect setlists. And because I don't care enough to research into that further the way I do with U2, I would likely be proven correct.

Howdy folks!

Just checking in here to see if I could find different answers to my question I sent in to atu2. I was really hoping that there would be less answers of the weeping kind and more of those along the lines of those moving on. I'm not saying that U2 will never be in my heart, but faced with a realistic decision not everyone out there I hope will close the door to other bands and new music. I can be a concert junkie at times, therefore I just had to find someone else's band wagon to get on so that I wouldn't fall into that pit of dispair. As you know folks, U2 will not be around physically forever. And too the reason why I brought this question up in the first place was the day Bono's back went out. That's when it got me to thinking. What if Bono's situation caused him to end the band right then and there? Would you be prepared for the worst news? And what would you do?

@U2 QOM August 2010: What if U2 broke up?

Now, don't get me wrong...I'm pretty sure I'll go through all of the same emotions as everyone else. U2 will forever be #1 and I'll constantly think of the good-ol'-days, it's just that I'm glad to have Coldplay there as my second favorite and helping me keep my sanity in check! But really, by letting go early in the game has helped me see the light and be more open...for example I think Muse could be my #3!

The first step and the hardest part is that you just have to let go!

I really don't think that U2 would want us sitting there in our own puddle of tears without ever moving on for the rest of our lives.

;)

I'd be a high roller, and would've limited my pimpin' thang to just the local area.

Seriously though, if I didn't spend all the money that I do on that band with tour expenses (especially fucking ticketbastard fees), music purchases, memorabilia, web site memberships, and so on, I'd have some serious cash money right now. I listen to plenty of other music, but I only follow U2 so religiously.

In my personal opinion it is pretty simple: enjoy other artists. I think a music fan should have several artists they really like. I would find it terribly boring to be a big fan of only a few musical acts. So it will be very sad when U2 stops but a person should be able to move on to other artists. There are so many good current acts and older artists to discover that it should not be that hard of a transition either. :shrug:

I'd be perfectly fine. I've had their music in my life for a long time and I'd have happy memories. But I'm not obsessed with them and I'd have plenty of other interests.

Here's the important question:

When U2 quits, what Bono hairstyle will tribute bands sport? The final haircut he had when he retired or will they go back to their personal favorite era?

If U2 ceased to be, I might be saddened. But it all depends on when and why.

At this point, I think the chances of U2 just breaking up due to disagreements are slim to non-existent. They survived so much and made it through that, so breaking up now due to differences of opinion probably won't happen. Still, if it occurred, I'd have to look into it - it may even be a good thing (especially if the music was suffering prior to the break-up).

If U2 simply decided to disband due to retirement in, say, 10 years, then I may not have any problem with that. I am close to their ages and as one ages, the days of concerts and listening to the latest "new thing" fades a bit. I would wish them well and probably enjoy all the music that is out there from the 60's to today (Sirius Sattelite Radio is great for listening to decades of songs).

However, if U2 ceased due to a tragedy, then it would be more difficult to accept. And while we have no choice but to accept it, there would be time to grieve. Eventually, though, I would resort to appreciating even more of what they accomplished as well as enjoying new and older music (as stated above).

Here's the important question:

When U2 quits, what Bono hairstyle will tribute bands sport? The final haircut he had when he retired or will they go back to their personal favorite era?

I think this might be dependent on which era a cover band zooms in on and perhaps the ages of the members in the cover band. For example, if they are a "Joshua Tree" era band, then clearly having Bono's longer hair works. If they zoom in on ZOO TV, then that style - with Fly shades - will be used. And if they want to focus on the more recent times, then they can probably get away with Bono's current look (shorter hair, colored shades).

As for Edge, even though he wore cowboy hats during the JT era, I think his beanie is good enough to represent any time. :)

This has been on my mind a lot lately. Besides my family, U2 have been a part of my life even longer than Mr. Blu - and he & I have about 24yrs together. I really don't think at this point in my life (I'm only 11 - 10 yrs younger than the band) that any other band could become as important to me as U2 have.

Is that because they resonated so strongly with me at a very pivotal point in my life (14/15yrs old) or is it because they're just that damn special? I don't know. :shrug:

I have other hobbies and other musical interests besides U2 - Muse in particular - so I'll find other things to occupy my time & spend my money on. But without wanting to sound melodramatic or psychotic, my question for myself recently has been this: When the band ceases to be - for whatever reason - will it change who I am? There's going to be a big hole in my heart when U2 isn't around any longer & they've been part of me for so long that I wonder where or if I'll find anything else to bring me the same absolute joy that they've provided me throughout 3/4 of my life.

Does that make any sense?? :scratch:

:up:

Great answers y'all!

I was hoping for something better than all the weeping ones on atu2. I thought..."My gosh, am I the only one out of all the answers to be ready to move on when that day comes? Those poor people!"

Now I'm not knocking those poor people because I used to be one for about 6 1/2 years. It's just that it took me that long to finally get out of that phase and wake up to reality. When I was ready, it was almost like trying to quit smoking or drinking. U2 is like a drug! It actually took me a couple of months to find another band after I "let go." Then like I mentioned in my story, after seeing that Coldplay iPod commercial, it totally blew me away. It was like a miracle! Right then and there I fell in love with Coldplay and Chris Martin :sexywink:

After I finally got over that hump, listening to and buying new music other than U2 became a lot easier for me. I guess I just didn't want to lose that feeling of oneness with fans. I love the U2 online community. I was just hoping that there would be another band out there for me to help me feel that again. And being a part of Coldplaying.com is pretty damn close. I mean shoot...their message board is exactly like this place other than it's dark blue. Freaky huh? Over there I could continue to call it the blue crack! :p

As far as the tribute band thing...some focus on the last tour, some focus on a different tour, some focus on an era...I've seen all kinds of U2 tribute bands doing all different kinds of things. Personally, I wouldn't care. I'm a U2 tribute band junky so it doesn't really matter to me. The only thing that matters is if they can play the songs well, and I can close my eyes and remember the good times.

@doctorwho...I totally agree :up:

@nielsgov...YAY!!! I'll see you over at Coldplaying.com! I've got the exact same username over there as well...my real name :wink:

@Galeongirl...It's going to be OK! Just LET GO! :hug:

@BluRmGrl... :ohmy: We could be twins! You totally make sense, but Muse for me is #3. They're my back up to my back up plan :wink:

I'm just glad that I have what my friend calls "'just in case of a disaster' band" :lol:

Seriously speaking, I really do not know what I would do. The band have made such a huge impact on my life, and there's so many moments in my life where I think of the band or that it's somehow connected to them. And I sorta have a permanent saving fund for the next tour up. I have a fairly obsessive nature, probably due to autism, and I think U2 are probably my biggest obsession. I'm not sure what to do if it falls away, would it just change to another obsession? Would I go nuts for Muse or Snow Patrol even more than I already do? I just don't know.

There is one thing I know though. When U2 call their quits I'm gonna be bloody RICH! :lol: So much money I spent on those guys.

I'm just not sure how to define "go away" or "cease to be".

First and foremost, their best music IMO is already decades old, and it will be with mankind forever or at least until the earth ceases to exist at which stage whether or not fans can live with or without U2 will be moot as they won't be, you know, alive, period.

As for no longer following the band around touring, I've been mentally prepared for that since the Elevation tour. I honestly felt that they might be feeling like they would pack it in at the end of that tour. That's pretty much why I did a spontaneous trip to Miami for the last show...I told Mark that I was worried it might actually be the last show..ever. Thankfully, that wasn't the case, and everything since has been a bonus for me - a huge bonus!

I think what would be most upsetting for me is if one of them were to pass on. But not in the sense of rock star adulation or anything, but more on the level that we're roughly the same age and I grew up with their music. Like when I lost my cousin who was only 5 years older than I - it makes one painfully aware of one's own mortality and that's never an easy mirror to take a look into.

Imagine you are Larry.

You're sitting at your drum set. There are 90,000 people in the house. Every single night. And your mind starts to think:

"Suppose I never posted that note on the wall"

I wonder if Larry thinks about that.

:hmm:

Imagine you are Larry.

You're sitting at your drum set. There are 90,000 people in the house. Every single night. And your mind starts to think:

actually, that's pretty amazing to think about :lol:

Imagine you are Larry.

Actually this is way deeper than what I had expected. I was curious realistically what people would do if tomorrow U2 decided to hang it up for whatever reason. I know that the title of this thread is what would you do without U2. I just never meant it to be totally without them. I just mean all of the sudden. Would you curl up in a ball, or would you move on and how and with who?

But that's a very interesting topic though. It's an excellent way to start off a movie about U2 with Larry narrating. I'm pretty sure he thinks about it on a daily basis...I mean Bono brings it up at just about every show or appearance. Obviously it's on Bono's mind all the time. And Edge said on It Might Get Loud that he would become a banker if Larry had not posted it. So I think they all think about it all the time in some form. It's so deep and so much has happened because of them, it just makes my hairs stand straight up. It gives a new meaning to "One man can make a difference", and in that case it would be Larry.

I don't really like to think about these situations.

Hey Allegra, we've talked on Coldplaying! I hope you're doing fine! :wave:

I'd be very sad but I'd listen to so many songs they've made during their career. For me a band doesn't have to produce new music or even exist to have my liking.
Beside U2 I'm an extremely hudge fan of Genesis - their last songs are from 1997 (!) and it's not a problem for me. The same with other rock legends like The Beatles, Nirvana, The Police, Led Zeppelin etc.

The real problem would appear, if all U2 songs just disappeared... It sounds like a fragment from horror novel... :panic:

Back
Top Bottom