What would you do after U2? My reflections on Kite.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birdman

Acrobat
"I want you to know, that you don't need me anymore".

I just cranked Kite from Slane Castle up on the TV and it started me thinking about the eventual contingency of U2 not being around anymore.

Especially as I am only just a younging supporter; how would you cope after U2 aren't around anymore? It's hard to take Bono's words in the song, I don't think I'd be able to trust any new music in the future.

How would you feel and what would you do?
Play their songs on repeat and deny the new media forms of the future, which seem to be the big idea?

What a depressing date it will be.

I think I'd cope pretty well. It's been so long since I've been obsessed with U2 in the sense that I listen to them every day, read up on them, etc. They're still my favourite band ever; always will be, but I've moved on in a sense. There's an unbelievable amount of good music out there waiting for me.

That said... I'd be pretty bummed if I never get to see them live again. But that's god knows how many years away... and what if they aren't as good live in four, five years' time?

I'd listen to a lot of U2 music for a few weeks and then just "move on". That sounds dramatic lol. It will be a very sad day when U2 decides to quit.

It's not as if their music will suddenly disappear once they retire.

I think I'd cope pretty well. It's been so long since I've been obsessed with U2 in the sense that I listen to them every day, read up on them, etc. They're still my favourite band ever; always will be, but I've moved on in a sense. There's an unbelievable amount of good music out there waiting for me.

That said... I'd be pretty bummed if I never get to see them live again. But that's god knows how many years away... and what if they aren't as good live in four, five years' time?

Seconded.

Vlad n U 2 said:
It's not as if their music will suddenly disappear once they retire.
That's true but it's still different when you know they'll never release music again.

I think I would be quite devastated even though it's certain that this day will come sooner or later. Saying goodbye is never easy. U2 have been a huge part of my life and I'm not a person that likes to live in the past. I like to watch my favourite band as they continue making great music and I also love to look forward into the future, so just relying on their past work will be difficult for me. I like to have them around, knowing that they are still creative and making stuff to look forward to. Of course there is a lot of other music out there that's great and most of the time I listen to other bands and artists much more than I actually listen to U2, but U2 are like home for me and I always return to them. So, yes, it will be quite difficult, but somehow I'll cope. As long as all four of them are still around and healthy, I think I'll have hope for them to continue making music in one way or the other.

Part of me says I'd rather they stop altogether before they start releasing music that will tarnish their legacy (some would argue that process has already begun).

Between 2005-08, I essentially lived my life like they didn't exist because I was disgusted by Hutub. I listened to their old albums natch, but I had zero interest in what they were doing. I think most hardcore fans go through a period when they think they will never be interested in music without U2. Then you slowly realize there is great, great music out there if you just look for it, and you'll be absolutely fine without U2. When the day does come when they quit or retire, it won't be as bad as some think it will be. I'll post an eulogy and just move on.

U2 are like my football team, I bitch about them and am convinced they could do better currently, but ultimately they're my band and I love them...
I read about them and visit U2 forums probably more often than I spend listening to them now, bizarrely enough... I'll miss the prospect of the "next U2 project" probably more than I'll miss the music they are currently creating, so in a way they are almost musically over for me. In some ways when I listen to Achtung and POP, JT, UF etc I am listening to a band that no longer exists...

Well, you'd have 30 years worth of music and god knows how many new unreleased songs coming out after that, so there'd still be something to look forward to... aside from live shows, of course, but perhaps there will be "immersion 3-D" by that time. :D

Thirded.

Also, I think they have a vast amount of unreleased material that we've never even heard of that will see the light of day in the future.

That makes me feel better. Just seeing it was a bit shocking. I didn't even think to see if it was a verified account.

How will I cope? Perfectly well, thank you.

I'll be sad once they're actually done, "end of an era" and all that. But they've given me a metric shit-ton of music and wonderful experiences, and I'll always have that. As a band I love, they've given me more than I could ever ask for; they certainly don't owe me anything more.

Plus, I'll be able to move on and experience life without U2 GA stress. :wink:

Sit and wait until the inevitable 'clear the vaults' box sets (a la recent Pink Floyd releases) that contain all the scrapped albums of the last few years.

In some ways when I listen to Achtung and POP, JT, UF etc I am listening to a band that no longer exists...

I often feel we are way too harsh on U2.

If the internet had existed as it does today back in 1984, I wonder what the comments would have been? I can just see a ton of fans bitching about U2's change in style and sound with TUF. And I can see some fans complaining in 1988 that the band they loved with "Boy" through "War" no longer exists.

But all artists HAVE to change. They must. The Beatles couldn't keep writing "Love Me Do" or "I Want to Hold Your Hand". Madonna couldn't keep performing "Borderline". When Metallica had a slightly more commercial sound in the early 90's, fans were furious - but it opened Metallica to a far larger audience.

ATYCLB and HTDAAB have limitations. There are too many "contemporary adult" type songs on them. But ATYCLB and HTDAAB esposed U2 to whole new audience. And that has helped U2's longevity. Given the love SOME have for those albums, it's clear that a few opinions on here aren't universal.

As fans, we will always have our favorites. I especially love U2's always changing sound - NLOTH being a great example.

If U2 retired now, I'd be disappointed. I want to see where they can take the brilliance shown on NLOTH while eliminating those "adult Top 40" tracks. I'd love to see what these men can come up with - at least once more.

After that, I think the following would occur:

1) My bank account suddenly has money as I have less U2 related expenses.

2) I re-examine U2's older material and gain a new appreciation for tracks I haven't heard in ages or did not originally enjoy.

3) I wait for the inevitable "opening of vaults" - bank account decreases again.

4) I wait for the "reunion" album/tour - bank account decreases further.

5) I lose some connection with new music. When U2 release new material, I always check out other artists. But without new U2 to inspire me, I often fall back on what I already know and love.

Like others have said, I would cope well with their "retirement", but I would be terribly sad. One of the main things I wanted to do in life was see U2 live, and thankfully I was able to this year. My appreciation towards the band has changed since then, in a good way.

I don't really care if they make another album, to be honest, though it would be great. I would love to see them continue touring, though. All of the music they've made in the past 30+ years has been a part of my life for the past 10 years. There are days where all I listen to is U2, and there are days where I don't.

If they retire, I think I'll be like how I was towards R.E.M.'s retirement - listen to them consistently for a day, maybe more. Music I grew up with, always having a place in my heart. And, I will also be waiting for a reunion tour. :wink:

Nowdays I would cope well if U2 called it quits next Tuesday. I think i'd be upset for a few days but then get over it pretty quick. Not sure how the me of 2001-2006 would go, but that's a different story.

I will certainly miss the travel side of things. I have only seen 4 U2 shows within a two hour drive from my home. The rest have been in different states of Australia and the USA. So I'd miss the meeting of other fanatics at U2 shows, singing along to every word, dancing, singing along to songs I wish they didn't play...but its a U2 show so I'm not gonna be pissed even if I am hearing In A Little While for the 183st time! I'll miss the live U2 more so than the studio U2.

Yeah that's how it is for me too. Though of course I'll be terribly sad to see the end of the band, more so for live shows than albums.

I would be fine, prob a bit stunned at the news, but fine.

back in 97 and 98 I was at my craziest about them, had posters, and printed pictures all over my walls, had many Saturday day trips to Dublin to get the vibe of U2 down there, esp time they played Slane 2001, and few times went to Killiney prob just wanting to be close to the band without wanting or trying to meet them or one of them (thou I passed Edge and Morleigh in 1998 with their son)....then it stopped. I was young and, I just changed. I was never obsessed, just got into them bit heavily and wanted to embrace as much as possible.

I always did enjoy listening still to their new sounds between 2000 and 2005, but wasnt overly into them of recent years.

I mean, I still really enjoy watching the 360 show and all but their new music has not grabbed me as much as stuff pre 2005, to be honest.

so, yeah, it would be sad, but Im sure I would be okay. :D

I would be sad. but move on after a few days of playing their songs on repeat. Like a lot of fans here I already had my "crazy about U2"- days in the past. I was reaally crazy about them from 2001- 2005. Heck, they were my first favourite band. But eventually I discovered more bands, different types of music I like and enjoy very much.
I would be sad since but they'll always have a special place in my heart.
But I would try to finally see them live, I never managed to see them in concert. I'm a bad fan, I know!:reject::huh:

Back
Top Bottom