What were U2's 'Jump the Shark' moments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoEyeliner.jpg

/thread

(and yes, even though it's just him, I count this as the whole band's fault...I mean, they let him out in public like that smh)

BonoEyeliner.jpg

/thread

(and yes, even though it's just him, I count this as the whole band's fault...I mean, they let him out in public like that smh)

They let the mullet out in UF era. They let out the bald head during Popmart. They let out the much-hated blonde I/E tour hair out. All much worse.

I remember when that song came out. I had not heard it yet, and I was driving around with a buddy with the radio on.

The song comes on, and we're both kind of like..."What is this?" but not in a WHAT IS THIS!!!! sort of way. As soon as Bono started singing I knew it was the song, and my buddy figured out it was U2.

My buddy couldn't believe this was U2, going so "pop" and having such a sappy song playing after the previous few years of more out there songs, and guitar driven songs.

But as Oregoropa said, it did kind of calm the waves of disconnect between the casual U2 fan and the band.

Sweetest Thing did kind of help them actually. I think them dusting off that track also hinted at where they were going with ATYCLB a few years later.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

To me, Sweetest Thing was a sign of things to come - the dawn of the era of the more conservative U2 - more worried about hits and being viewed as the biggest band in the world. The reinvention and artistry which had always been in balance with commerce now seemed to take a backseat to commerce first. Sure I get that they bled a lot of cash with the tours of the 1990s and needed to shore up their finances. But can you really say they have been the same band since Pop/Popmart.

To me, Sweetest Thing was a sign of things to come - the dawn of the era of the more conservative U2 - more worried about hits and being viewed as the biggest band in the world. The reinvention and artistry which had always been in balance with commerce now seemed to take a backseat to commerce first. Sure I get that they bled a lot of cash with the tours of the 1990s and needed to shore up their finances. But can you really say they have been the same band since Pop/Popmart.

Where does the idea that they "bled" money in the 90's come from? It's well documented that ZooTV made a profit, not huge but a profit. PopMart, apparently broke even, but U2 were paid upfront, any loss would have been from investors.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
It was the early 80's. Cut Bono some slack. :wink: Shit, I've seen him in way worse.

The Best Jump the Shark moment for Bono was when he killed the mullet. :wink: Thought he had great hair from '87 to '95.

Back
Top Bottom