What U2 songs have a better vocal delivery than Moment Of Surrender?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So Cruel, One, Wire, Two Hearts Beat As One, Desire, other oldies off of Rattle and Hum DVD are up there with Moment Of Surrender. It all depends. Bonos voice is certainly Rattle and Hum esque but is definitely not as strong/smooth at the same time. He strains a bit in some points on MOS.

"Oh GOD could not deny her" - really great.

I think any strain in his voice is on purpose, keeping with the song, incredible delivery. :drool:

My first reaction was that it reminded me of some of UF's more emotionally charged songs, even though musically it's much different. The man sounds desperate. Amazing performance.

...every other one?

*not a MOS fan :crack:*

:lol:

I'm a MOS fan, though I wouldn't say that it's Bono's best performance by far. Sure, he hits some high notes, and sure he's got a good bit of emotion in there. But honestly? The JT-AB period was the epitome of Bono's voice. That's when he could rock the low baritone and the high notes in the same song and knock the socks off of you while doing it.

All of TJT is just one big fucking fantastic vocal :drool:

ISHFWILF! :hyper: Everything Bono sings in that is just so BIG and effortless, but powerful.

Pride
Unforgetable fire
Drowning man
Promenade
ISHFWILF
WOWY
Red hill mining town
In a little while
Kite
The fly
mysterious ways (esp zootv live, un fucking real)
Bullet live (zootv , see above)
Your blue room
SYCMIOYO
Miss Sarajevo
Electric co.(live)
BAD(Live versions)
All I want is you
Lemon
Ultraviolet
Love is blindness
Acrobat(infact everything of AB)

to name a few :)

I don't find MOS very special vocally... So yes, every album until ATYCLB has at least one or two better ones. I'm not really a fan of the color of his (intentionally) strained voice on this album...

I can't think of another song that has a better display of Bono's vocal range (highs and lows), his ability to stretch out a long vowel and imbue it with meaning ("eeeeeeeeven on our wedding day"), and his ability to "scream" perfectly in key and on pitch ("I tied myself with wire!" etc.)

An absolutely spectacular track. I love how the vocal is front and center, high in the mix, to show off Bono's singing. Right up there with One and Streets in the battle for U2's best song ever.

As much as I love the vocals on MOS, I can think of lots of songs with even better Bono vocals. Most of them are from the '80s and '90s, though. I think MOS might qualify as the best Bono vocal of the current decade.

It really depends on what you consider 'good' Bono vocals to be. I kinda fall more into Peter's camp... I personally love when Bono has high range (1980-1986 and 2005-present), as well as the beauty of Achtung Baby through Passengers and the JT album, while thinking his lowest point was 2001, not being able to tolerate 1987-1988 for very long, and really liking his current voice (especially when opera in involved).

However, a lot of people here worship 1988 and rank that leaps and bounds above 1984-5, 1992-3, and 2005-present... it's really, really subjective (much more than music in general, even).

this thread is stupid...i used to reply to these threads but it's getting ridiculous. haha

UltraVIOLET, Kite, Beautiful Day, Breathe, ELECTRICAL STORM, Original of the Species, One Tree Hill, ONE, So Cruel, SIck For Love, Take You Down, Miracle Drugs to name a few. MOS is great though, but I've already stopped listening to the new CD. Breathe is the standout track here, I have no doubt.

Easy, most of the JT, The Unforgettable Fire (song), much of R&H. One (just compare the ending vocalisations of the two), Acrobat, LIB from AB, Stay, Lemon and the end of Zooropa (song).

And all the others I can't think of atm.

It is very hard to compare Bono's vocal delivery over the years since his voice has changed so much.

I think his singing on MOS is mighty mighty fine. For me, the key thing is that he is singing powerfully but in a very controlled way. In the past when he used power he'd lose control.

So I think MOS is special.

Only just getting into the song now, I still find his vocal to be far too screechy on it, I'm sure I'll grow to love it though.

Back
Top Bottom