What U2 song would you want your 2nd favorite artist to cover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oregoropa

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Time machine rules apply so you can have John Lennon or Bowie do a cover of so inclined.

Led Zeppelin - Salome

My second favorite band is Led Zeppelin. Robert Plant has stated in an interview that Salome is his favorite U2 song. I think the sexual imagery and vocals would be right in Zeppelin's wheelhouse. Have Jimmy throw in some mean guitar licks and juice up that solo.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Bruce Springsteen - Bullet the Blue Sky
REM - Big Girls are Best (I have no idea why)

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

I would love to hear The National cover Ultraviolet.

Porcupine Tree - Running to Stand Still or Exit
Either they could do a great RTSS in the style of Lazarus, or turn Exit into a slightly extended and more metallic slow-burner.

Alcest - An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
Originally I was tossing between A Sort of Homecoming and The Unforgettable Fire, because basically anything on UF would be perfect for Neige. But then I realised Into the Heart gets at very similar themes to most of his music, and the whole lengthy composition would suit his strengths.

Agalloch - Bullet the Blue Sky
A tougher one. Agalloch are best suited to long wintry songs with abstract lyrics. Bullet has sufficient bleakness and the narrative of the second half would suit them. I also considered Exit before giving it to PT.

Crowded House - Pride or All I Want Is You
Frankly I'm almost surprised Neil Finn has never done Pride in some capacity. It would sit so well beside Don't Dream It's Over. But AIWIY is another superb candidate in the vein of material like Fingers of Love or When You Come.

Pure Reason Revolution - A Sort of Homecoming
PRR's vocal harmonies would make this something truly special. I imagine they could also do an excellent Heartland or, in their later more electronic period, Zooropa or Lemon.

Smash Mouth- Stand Up Comedy

Train- In a Little While

Limp Bizkit- Get On Your Boots

Beatles - Mofo

Just because it's something obviously could never happen and I have no idea how it would sound.

Jars of Clay- With or Without You. Though anything really from TUF, JT or RH would be good for them.

Gorillaz - Stand up Comedy

Kasabian - Cedarwood Road or New York

Hozier - A Sort of Homecomming

Kendrick Llamar - Acrobat or God Part II

Pearl Jam - Gloria

Royksopp - Zooropa or Sleep like a Baby

Skunk Anansie - The Fly

Cliche but The Airborne Toxic Event back when they featured a standup bass could've killed With or Without You. They've left their classical roots though.

It would just seem to be more interesting to break them out of their current mold and see them cover something that oozes with joy, at least to me.

haha sorry yeah I get what you mean and it's a very good point.
but yeah, after hearing Muse do Streets (incredibly) and Chris Martin sing Beautiful Day with U2-1 (not so incredibly) I guess those two songs just aren't the first two that leap to mind when wondering who I'd want to hear cover them.

I do think current Radiohead could do something amazing with "Sleep..." though. as for oozing joy, it doesn't get much better than this

Elbow - anything but Running to Stand Still

.... there's a morning DJ on my favorite Seattle station that plays their cover of that ALL THE TIME. It's lovely, but I'm so sick of it.

Back
Top Bottom