What U2 song has been the most inspiring to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2FanMN

Babyface
My pick is Crazy Tonight. To spare the gory details, most of 09 I was a wreck over who I thought was the love of my life breaking up with me leaving me mentally and emotionally damaged questioning everything I had put faith in and altering what were close relationships. :reject: The video was the first thing that spoke to me and I also identified with the line, "It's not a hill, it's a mountain as you start out the climb." I knew I could get over what was troubling me but it'd require work. Almost immediately I started apologizing to the people I had hurt and withdrawn from, regained composure and realized how much my ex had hurt me (and learning this through a friend who I also thought was hers but was always on my side, even after she left me). I got back to living my life and met my current gf (Who is slowly learning about U2 through me) who has actually treated me like a prince and vice versa.

Kite- A good friend of mine was killed at a party over an argument about his girlfriend and the guy that killed him's father. The girl was on the track team and the guy's father was the track coach and she was accussing him of sexual harrassment and a fight started. The guy stabbed my friend through the heart twice and he died. This happened 10 days or so before ATYCLB came out and that song really helped me cope with his death. I did get to tell Bono the story at the U2 by U2 book signing and was almost on the verge of tears when he got up and hugged me.

Where The Streets Have No Name. Seriously, the intro-riff is so simple, so short and so easy to play once you've got the rhythm going but yet it's stunning, beautiful, epic and original. Over 2 minutes of the song features this riff, either picked or strummed and you never get tired of it.

I've heard it hundreds of times, I've spent several hours altogether just hearing this riff and I still like it just as much as the first time I heard it. No other band or artist can make something that simple sound so unbelievably beautiful. It has inspired me to do great-sounding songs on the guitar. I'm no expert at guitar, I only play chords and stuff from simple tabs but WTSHNN taught me that a song doesn't need an all too complex structure (although there are some other, a bit tougher stuff during the verses and the chorus on WTSHNN as well) to sound good.

It doesn't matter how miserable or pissed off I might be, Where The Streets Have No Name has the magical ability to send shivers down my spine every single time I listen to it. It is completely ageless and no matter how many times I listen to it I will always be affected in as real a way.

Laura, that was a facinating story....to start off

Well for me ther have been so many songs that have meant great deal to me, but recently I have been working stuff out in certain areas of my everyday life and songs like One and I Still Haven't Found what I'm looking for have really help me do that. and have help me put things in perspective. And have brought a great amount of comfort when I nedded it. I think its correct to say that i have been Blessed by this songs.

We're one but we're not the same, we get to carry each other..One

You broke the bonds, loose the chains, carried the cross of my shame, Oh my shame you know I believe it.

:hug:

"Like A Song" inspires to dress up in medieval armor and drive a T-34 tank through residential neighborhoods.

Stay (Faraway, So Close)!

Album version only, acoustic live version is lame, but it's all we can get I guess, so I'll take it. Just makes me think of a all the greatest moments in my life for some reason. Everything stressful about my life disappears when I hear this song. My favorite song ever, by anyone.

Well I think I'll just pick my favourite song, The Unforgettable Fire, it's beautiful.

Gah, what was I thinking this morning?? Acrobat, it's my favorite song and has a great message, in spite of its darker packaging.

I cannot pick one,'Magnificent' has the ability to prick your heart every time.
And 'Where The Streets Have No Name',and last but not least,'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' :heart:. I heard it live and I couldn't help but cry because it shed new light on how personal and magical a song could be,and how it could be rebuilt time and again,it is so beautiful and it will live on forever.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Where the Streets Have No Name, Pride, One, Walk On... my list could go on and on.

Very hard for me to pick 1 song for me. The beauty of U2 songs is that you fall in love with them, hate them then fall back in love with them.

I'm sure i have different songs for different moods.

The song at the moment is Ultraviolet.

To cut a very long story short, my wife suffered with pre-eclampsia with our first child. He was born at 28 weeks and obviously was very ill. Day after day we sat beside him watching and waiting. The hardest part was having to go home everyday, i even went to work due to the terrible support from the company i worked for. During this time i lisened to alot of U2, was a huge fan anyway but i had never listened to the music and what it meant.

My son got bigger and stronger as the weeks turned into months, he was still in hospital. I started to struggle mentally and listening to the music helped me. After 8 months of visiting and having to deal with so many different situations my son died in his parents arms. Again we struggled, turning to drink. At one point i was drinking vodka and wine at 10am.

Going back to ultraviolet, the words are what remind me of what we went through.
Baby baby baby light my way - Obvious why that is so strong for me.
You bury your treasure where it cannot be found - He was our treasure, he was buried
Your love is like a secret that gets passed around - Because he was a baby people try to put it away, if an adult dies they are remembered.

Other songs that are very strong for me are

Sometimes you can't make it on your own
Kite
Original of the Species
Magnificent
And strangely enough, Breathe - Going out everyday after he died was very difficult, can't remember the exact words.

One of my goals now is to thank the band for helping me through those tough times, i met bono and edge but was too brief to explain my story. I contacted the management and got a lovely response from a lady who i think is Larry's sister. Unfortunately she couldn't do anything to help as they get hundreds of requests each week. Ideally i would love to buy them all a beer to thank them. You never know, if i try hard i might get what i want.

Sorry for going on, i could of wrote lots more.

If you have any ideas how i can reach that goal then let me know

Definitely Acrobat. I want to get 'Dream Out Loud' tattooed on my foot...that line alone really speaks to me :heart:

Ultraviolet and MOS have probably been the most important two, lately.

Also, One, and Lemon.

My wife and i found something very spooky tonight. As previously posted i mentioned our song was Ultraviolet. Not only was it amazing to manage to hear it live last year but there was something i didn't notice.

The robotic voice before ultraviolet, i heard it but didn't understand what it was. I listened back today and turned the volume up. What the voice says is a poem from the film 'Four Weddings and a Funeral', i think its called stop the clocks. The bizarre thing was my wife read that poem out at my sons funeral.

So to have the song that means so much to us and have the poem that means even more to us sent a cold shiver down our backs.

I've been trying to pick which one is the most inspiring, but I can't settle on just one. It's nice to be reminded just how much U2's music means to me.

Back
Top Bottom