What U2 NEEDS to do for their new album!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some funny posts there :). Maybe it is their image that needs to change. I want them to be a punk band again. I want them to have some spunk again. They are my favourite band by the way. Also, if you're a U2 fan they can be criticised. I reckon there are a lot of people on this site that think they can do no wrong. I'm sick of seeing Bono hanging out with politicians - I want to say to him - leave the ego at home some night and do a concert were you sing for your dinner and sing great songs about people and not all this vague shit you slather on to the music. I want the Edge, Adam and Larry to pick a fight with their instruments.

Yes, their "image needs to change" after almost 40 years and with all the band members being over 50. If anything, that would look incredibly awkward, embarrassing and ridiculous. They should make the music they believe in and Bono should write and sing whatever he wishes to and about the things that are important in his life. I'm pretty sure the rest of the band have their equal share in selecting that music that's going to be released and if they say NO there's no way Bono can get through with his ideas. This process has been very well documented.

I want the band to be authentic and to do the stuff they really care about. Trying too hard to be someone else could get quite embarrassing at this stage of their career.

Music is very subjective. I can relate to many of Bono's lyrics (although some stuff makes me cringe as well) and one thing I've always loved about U2 is the uplifting, hopeful spirit of their music. That's one aspect that makes U2 unique and I wouldn't want to miss that. If I didn't appreciate the U2ness of their music, I'd have to ask myself if I'm really fan of the right band.

Some funny posts there :). Maybe it is their image that needs to change. I want them to be a punk band again. I want them to have some spunk again. They are my favourite band by the way. Also, if you're a U2 fan they can be criticised. I reckon there are a lot of people on this site that think they can do no wrong. I'm sick of seeing Bono hanging out with politicians - I want to say to him - leave the ego at home some night and do a concert were you sing for your dinner and sing great songs about people and not all this vague shit you slather on to the music. I want the Edge, Adam and Larry to pick a fight with their instruments.

Why is this always the go to? Someone disagrees with you so you basically label them sheep that think U2 can do no wrong.

You have a lot of contradictions in your posts; how many singers punk or not don't have egos?, how many punk bands do you know that sing about the injustices of their relationships?

So let me get this straight. The new guy wants them to sound like they did on JT. Wants the lyrics to be like JT.

And wants them to stop writing about politics and war and injustices around the world.

Eh, Bullet The Blue Sky was about what again? :scratch:
Running to Stand Still was obviously not about the drug issues in Dublin in the 70-80s....
Red Hill Mining Town had nothing to do with no injustices.
Nor did Mothers of The Disappeared...

riiiight.

So let me get this straight. The new guy wants them to sound like they did on JT. Wants the lyrics to be like JT.

And wants them to stop writing about politics and war and stuff.

Eh, Bullet The Blue Sky was about what again? :scratch:

He's not so new. Been a Cracker since 6/12. :wink:

Yet he has 4 posts. :wink: And I find half a year to be relatively new.

Yes, he's definitely green in comparison to the rest of us. :wink:

I think what U2 needs to do is release an animated feature. Sure they did The Simpsons and the Hold Me, Kiss Me... video, but they could take things to the next level. The heck with all this other horse hockey that bronze troll said. A cartoon and the accompanying soundtrack is the way to go.

Agree that I don't want it sounding "samesie", because there has definitely been some of that one the past few albums.

I want Edge to do something with the guitar nobody has done yet. I don't want to hear that tired tone that we hear on Magnificent or Ordinary love even, he's used it so much over the past few years. I want something new, something weird sounding, something that works.

Don't really care as much about the whole lyrical situation as you do, though, OP. I actually enjoyed a few of Bono's lyrics on bomb, OSCTK and SYCMIOYO are, yes, incredibly personal but I found them to be extremely powerful. But, opinions.

So yes, I don't want it to be safe. I want some new sounds, I want some old sounds, I want some in between sounds, hell do a funk song, I loved seeing Edge and Bono playing with Niles Rodgers on stage a few weeks ago. Please don't be safe. That's all I ask.

I'd like them to sound as Tomorrow from October and Drowning man on War. A song like Seconds is welcome too. Bring back the real Irish u2 from Early 80's, with haunting melodies.

dont be surprised if the new album sounds like the past 3 albums..they are in their 50's now..live they are still the best but when it come to albums..
achtung
is clearly their last best record.. ..still hoping for one or two great new songs.."magnificent" was a good new one..

Unless something tragic or dramatic happened within the group I expect more of the same on this album unfortunately. Three things I hope for though are that Edge explores some new sounds ,they bring the drums to the front of the mix, and Bono tones down the high pitched singing with a touch of lisp that he's been prone to be heavy on lately.

id like them to actually put the new album out. I think that's a good direction for it.

Actually, when you think about it, not ever releasing any more music again would be the most sure fire way to make sure they won't bore everyone anymore.

That should be fresh & exciting enough, surely.

Three things I hope for though are that Edge explores some new sounds...

Unless he becomes a jazz guitarist or overhauls his playing style, that might be a tall order for a guy who's explored a lot of the guitar sounds out there as it is.

I do wish they could go back to their 1980-2010 sound.

When the rap and country albums finally come out, that's all we're going to be hearing. :D

They should shelve everything they've done with DM and Rubin and whoever else they worked with and work on a Broadway play, you know something like a musical maybe about a super hero, you know some under dog that becomes a hero...... wait.... what? nevermind.

Unless something tragic or dramatic happened within the group I expect more of the same on this album unfortunately. Three things I hope for though are that Edge explores some new sounds ,they bring the drums to the front of the mix, and Bono tones down the high pitched singing with a touch of lisp that he's been prone to be heavy on lately.

I'd love for Bono to shing like the Irish Sean Connery

-No whiny singing
-Some good rock guitar riffs
-No lazy slide guitar "solos" on said rock songs
- No "heart soul kneel" lyrics

Probably waaaaay too much to ask I'm sure.

I want Edge to do something with the guitar nobody has done yet. I don't want to hear that tired tone that we hear on Magnificent or Ordinary love even, he's used it so much over the past few years. I want something new, something weird sounding, something that works.

Or at least have him for once show some technical ability beyond the beginner/intermediate level. I'd like to see a decent guitar solo or 2 that are over 30 seconds with more than 4 notes over and over again. Something like "Street Mission" or "The Fool" guitar solo, only less "boring."

Brian May also utilized delay and guitar effects, but could also play a decent solo, a skill Edge seems to be lacking in. I'd love to see him show off some technical skill.

Or at least have him for once show some technical ability beyond the beginner/intermediate level. I'd like to see a decent guitar solo or 2 that are over 30 seconds with more than 4 notes over and over again. Something like "Street Mission" or "The Fool" guitar solo, only less "boring."

Brian May also utilized delay and guitar effects, but could also play a decent solo, a skill Edge seems to be lacking in. I'd love to see him show off some technical skill.

He isn't lacking. If anything he's the best musician of the band... It's just not what U2 has ever been about.

If youre looking for big, elongated guitar solo's, U2 is not the band for you.

Back
Top Bottom