What U2 album was drug influenced?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Niceman said that drugs don't "create" great work -- and he's right. What drugs give you is a new perspective from which to breathe and live, and that's all. It's no more conducive to creating great music than a trip to Thailand is. That is to say, it does undoubtedly provide new parameters for the artist, which may or may not be useful, but it certainly is in no way "creating" great art. (This is, of course, to completely ignore the health and legality issues that are of rather large importance.)

Your assertions are muddled here--you are alternatively saying drugs don't create great work, yet admit they can contribute to potentially useful new parameters for artists. So yes, artists create, not drugs, but drugs can create new parameters for those artists to explore, which can lead to creation of great works. Besides, I was challenging Niceman's hardline assertion that "drugs are what convinces artists that mediocre work is great".

Yeah, you think that the Beatles were great BECAUSE they did drugs? I don't.

Well, look at the evidence. Pre-drugs? PLEASE PLEASE ME, MEET THE BEATLES!, BEATLES FOR SALE, etc. Great stuff, sure, but pretty poppy and light and not notably differentiated from what other artists were releasing at the time. Post-drugs? SGT. PEPPER's, THE WHITE ALBUM, ABBEY ROAD, etc. Mind-blowing, wholly original masterworks that the entire pop music industry continues to shudder before to this day.

In fact, I think that's why the surviving ones find themselves lacking any talent at this point in their lives.

Ah, I never argued that drugs don't eventually take their toll (not to mention age).

I don't think Hendrix could play guitar like that BECAUSE he did drugs.

I'd argue that he would not have even been inspired to play guitar like he did without drugs.

Niceman, meet The Beatles(disbanded), Jimi Hendrix(dead), Jim Morrison(dead), Janis Joplin(dead), Kurt Cobain(dead), Bob Dylan(who knows?), and oh, well, a shitload of their peers.

yes look how well these drug users have fared.

Stay on target, my friend. I'm not speaking toward anything but drugs' effect on the creative process, no other impacts. I'm quite anti-drug, personally, and have never dabbled in anything stronger that Excedrin Migraine in my life (nope, not even pot), but I can't deny that some of our greatest artists found their muse in illegal substances...

am i the only person in the world who hasn't tried or use drugs/alcohol?

No, you're not. And good for you! :wave:

Alcohol and/or drugs eventually destroys the creative part of the brain. Not to mention all of the other harmful aspects.

For those who think it is okay for anyone to use illegal drugs. Just google your drug of choice and see exactly what it does to your body.

Kingofsorrow is on the right path!

Now you're just being peevish. If you don't want to concede that drugs have had a substantial influence on many of the great works in modern popular music, in advance of the deaths of many of their contributing artists, then I'll return you to your Barry Manilow collection with no further ado.

No, you're not. And good for you! :wave:

Alcohol and/or drugs eventually destroys the creative part of the brain. Not to mention all of the other harmful aspects.

For those who think it is okay for anyone to use illegal drugs. Just google your drug of choice and see exactly what it does to your body.

Kingofsorrow is on the right path!

well that would explain the "freedom has a scent / like the top of a newborn baby's head" line.

everyone has their vices in life. those who don't should not throw stones blah blah blah. pot is less harmful than cigarettes or alcohol. it's illegal in america because no american company would stand to make money off it.

the key to life is moderation. OD on drugs, you're gonna die. OD on cheeseburgers, your heart will explode.

everyone has their vices in life. those who don't should not throw stones blah blah blah. pot is less harmful than cigarettes or alcohol. it's illegal in america because no american company would stand to make money off it.

the key to life is moderation. OD on drugs, you're gonna die. OD on cheeseburgers, your heart will explode.

QFT :up:

I've never associated U2 as a drug band. I'm pretty sure everyone in U2 has tried some sort of drug, but I haven't seen it being a factor in their music.

Yes, one could make a strong argument that "maybe" drugs might've played a part in Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers and Pop, but in the end, nobody really gives a shit. Its not like U2 are Guns N Roses from back-in-the-day, when they spent a lot of time writing about how fucked up they were all of the time.

Just Say Maybe:D

Are prescription drugs viable for the purpose of this conversation? Or are we sticking to the street stuff - ie narcotics. Shit like LSD, PCP, ecstasy, coke, hash, heroin, the bionic, the bomb, the puff, the blow, the black, the herb, the sensie, the cronic, the sweet Mary Jane, the shit, Ganja, split, reefa, the bad, the buddha, the home grown, the ill, the maui-maui, the method, pot, lethal turbo, tie, shake, skunk, stress, whacky weed, glaze, the boot, dimebag, Scooby Doo, bob, bogey, back yard boogie, 'shrooms, quaaludes.

That's easy....Pop....

Discoteque is the anthem.

I think a strong argument can be made that one of discoteque's themes is about clubbing on ecstasy, i.e. that lovie-dovie stuff. It fits in with their Pop-era electronica and clubbing interests. They even opened a nightclub in the late '90s:

You know you're chewing bubblegum
You know what that is
But you still want some
You just can't get enough
Of that lovie dovie stuff

Let go
Let go
Oh oh oh
Discotheque
(Come on, come on)

Go girl
Go girl
Ah ha ha
Discotheque
(I want you)
(I want you)

Oh, Ooo, oh / (Mmm-love-mmm)

You're looking for the one
But you know you're somewhere else instead
You want to be the song
Be the song that you hear in your head
Love...

You want heaven in your heart
Heaven in your heart
The sun, the moon, and the stars

But you take what you can get
'Cause it's all that you can find
But you know there's something more
But tonight, tonight, tonight

Ah, high
High, high
High, high
High, high

NO I AM NOT IMPLYING THAT U2 DID/DOES ECSTASY OR ANY OTHER DRUG. I am just pointing out what I think is a fair interpretation of one song.

Pop for sure. Bono and Edge would have done loads of pills/coke after Zoo TV when they spent summers with Michael Hutchence. I believe it was even referred to as the 'Lost Summer' or something to that effect.

I remember reading a Rolling Stone interview with Bono about that summer. Right before/during the Pop sessions. They would get druck at Edge's house and sneak out to clubs late in the night. Pretty cool read.

I'm sure U2 have tried a few things here and there while on tour or in the studio, but nothing to really jeopardize the band. Didn't Howie B teach Larry how to roll a fatty during the Pop sessions. U2 would not be able to function the "U2 Machine" if these guys were doped up most the time. God forbid Edge stumbling around & talking like Keith Richards.

McGuinness specifically said during the Pop tour that some of the graphics were influenced by ecstasy and the rave culture.

Of course, that does not in itself imply that any of the band were users.

Well, look at the evidence. Pre-drugs? PLEASE PLEASE ME, MEET THE BEATLES!, BEATLES FOR SALE, etc. Great stuff, sure, but pretty poppy and light and not notably differentiated from what other artists were releasing at the time. Post-drugs? SGT. PEPPER's, THE WHITE ALBUM, ABBEY ROAD, etc. Mind-blowing, wholly original masterworks that the entire pop music industry continues to shudder before to this day.

That argument can be made... but perhaps the trip to India and other forces in their lives had a hand as well? Maybe if they hadn't been so absorbed by drugs they would have been able to explode creatively.... and yet not break up at such an early date too????

Ah, I never argued that drugs don't eventually take their toll (not to mention age).

Drugs take their toll, and apparently very quickly. Wonder why all of your favorite artists start to suck after about 5 years of great work? I'd say that's why.

Now you're just being peevish. If you don't want to concede that drugs have had a substantial influence on many of the great works in modern popular music, in advance of the deaths of many of their contributing artists, then I'll return you to your Barry Manilow collection with no further ado.

i'm so sorry i see that no good can come from drugs, and by the way Barry is still alive right?

Back
Top Bottom