What song makes you "sentimental"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nostalgia:

Heartland :drool: Every time I hear this it brings me back to a cross-country drive from Santa Barbara to New Jersey...perfect lyrics and "feel".

A Sort of Homecoming

Indian Summer Sky

The entire October album...especially "I Fall Down".

COBL
Streets from Zoo TV Sydney (When Bono says 'hey you' and waves to JT Bono in the Corbijn film out in the desert).
Wild Horses(dont turn around again...come on dont you look back)

All of HTDAAB. It's the album that made me a fan. I bought it on a whim in the summer of 2006 when I grew sick of all the crap music that's popular nowadays. I had heard U2 was considered one of the "greats", so I bought it, took it home, and played it straight through. (This was before I had an iPod). I was hooked right away, and I went out over the rest of the summer and got all the other albums, b-sides, etc. Through U2, I got introduced to a bunch of other amazing artists and bands, but HTDAAB was the one that started it all.:heart:

forgot one . . .

The Fly - remember landing in Dublin with a friend the week the single was being released on radio . . . sitting in this dinghy little b&b (run by a gorgeous lady called Eileen), with my walkman . . . I had one ear piece my mate the other, glued to the radio for an hour or more. . . and then the magic happened - was an almost out of body experience :)

(non u2 stuff that sends me hurtling down memory lane . . . Luka Blooms first album, Riverside and Inxs . . . Never Tear Us Apart)

thanks for indulging me :)

"Walk On" and "Stuck in a Moment" - from June 18-July 18, 2001, my mother (also swandiver's and ewings'--they also post on the forum) was in the hospital after botched open-heart surgery. Those songs were getting a lot of radio play during that time, and I would invariably hear one of them on my way to/from the hospital for visits every day. She finally left us on July 18 (after each of us and our brother had told her, unbeknownst to each other, that day that if she wanted to go, it was okay). I still get teary-eyed when I hear (or even think of) the lines "you could have flown away, a singing bird in an open cage" and "you're packing a suitcase for a place you've never been . . ."

As for goose-bump moments: "Bad" at Notre Dame on 10/10/01, and the opening of "Streets", any time I hear it. :heart:

Everytime I listen to Beautiful Day and watch the music video it reminds me of the past when I first laid ears on it.

Like COBL, RaceAgainstTime & MsPurrl relating stories of family members passing... I have one more song to mention, non-U2: The Beatles, In My Life. Always makes me teary eyed. I heard it right after my Uncle had passed away in '97, and my Aunt flew out with her daughter for the funeral (Uncle wanted to be buried here with family). And I heard it on my way to see her as well. I had sent her the CD too. :heart:

To a degree a lot of the songs from POP and ATYCLB. POP was the first actual studio album by them I purchased as a fan, and I have lots of memories of just zoning out in an inflatable chair in my room listening to it through headphones. I remember how the really trippy middle section of If You Wear That Velvet Dress used to move me, and I would listen to that song over and over just to hear that part. I was a kid just starting to really get into music at that time and had not heard anything like it before. ATYCLB was the first new album to be released while I was a fan. It was my first experience waiting for U2 to record an album...I remember the teaser site they had that looked like a virtual studio, and when they eventually posted 30 second clips of all(?) the songs...especially that first clip of Beautiful Day. Hearing that record for the first time was such a big deal for me, it was my first experience with a NEW U2 album and that was a very special thing. I won't even get into going to that first Elevation concert, my first real concert ever. So now, when I listen to anything from ATYCLB a lot of those old feelings come back, even if it's not my favorite U2 album by any means.

Stay (Faraway, So Close), live in Dublin. Bono puts his heart and soul into that song that night, and THAT makes me sentimental.
especially considering that the song holds other sentimental value for me.

A lot of Pop for me; I got it a point in my life when there were so many things I was experiencing for the first time. The world seemed really big and beautiful, but I also experienced the fucked up part of it for the first time. Pop oddly reflected all of that. Songwise, I'd say most of Pop, (especially Wake Up Dead Man and Do You Feel Loved) the live version of Please, SYCMIOYO, Miss Sarajevo live in Milan and Mercy.

Back
Top Bottom