What Should the Next U2 action be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donkeytimes

The Fly
Every so often I am compelled to write something on what the next steps for U2 should be. With the re-release of Achtung Baby and the documentary, etc. there have been several vague quotes discussing what U2 will do or “not” do next from Bono himself.

I think we all know U2 will do something, in other words – they aren’t breaking up or merely ending on No Line…But, I think the quote which riles some of us up is the whole notion that U2 needs be relevant again by getting airplay, etc – yet, Bono would like to get lost in the music. If I had my way, and I were calling the shots: the points below would serve as some loose direction to the band AND perhaps truly inspire U2 to focus and/or get lost in the music.

1. First off, U2 have always wanted to appeal to the masses. AND TRUST ME, I get it. They have sold millions, they have done pretty much everything you can imagine. With so much accomplishment, it seems they are now consumed to staying relevant (maybe not with a 1# record, but they want to be a contemporary of the other pop artists and do damage. I just think they need to readjust what relevance is, and what musical legacy they want to still contribute to the world.
2. I would suggest they take a step back. They know they have the core audience locked in. Instead of going after pop charts, and Jay-Z, and Rihanna, etc. Why not try and appeal back to the crowd which they left? That is, the art, Pitchfork, savvy rock/more art side of the house. My opinion only, U2 could with the right production team – could write a serious album, still have some hooks, have the critics happy, play arena’s, and yet still capture the intimate yet serious grandeur of years past.
3. Before people scoff, when I say win over the critics – it means making another record from top to bottom, and letting the mastery of the sound they created shine through and appeal to a crowd that has long written them off. The song Soon was beautiful, Fez/Being Born, etc. If U2 could learn to just do the music for craft, and listen more to Danny Lanois – the world would be a better place.
4. I think they should tour arena’s. I think they should invite other indie artists (much like they did with Arcade Fire in 05’ and 06’) I would suggest bands like “The National and M83.” These bands have large tunes, and could be every bit as popular and are becoming more popular. It would be nice to see U2 interact with bands that want to do good records, art, yet still maintain the hooks with graceful albums that really touch the crowd that still like indie rock.
5. I would hire Lanois, I would use Eno as a consultant only. I think they should go to New Orleans or something and crank out a record with Danny at his studio. Let him be the zen master of tone that he is.
6. I would tell Bono to get rid of the modern shades, still wear the shades but perhaps go simple. Edge should wear his street clothes. In other words, the bedazzled stage pants have got to go.
7. Point 6 is relevant because if U2 is truly about the music, then I think the style of the band goes hand in hand with the demographic they are trying to hit. I want them to be graceful now and grow into that elder statesmen role.
8. When its music time, I would prefer if Bono could listen to his band for a prolonged time and dedicate himself to that craft and just keep an eye on the good deed stuff and limit interviews that do not discuss music.

Daniel Lanois doesn't have the house/studio (Kingway) in New Orleans. He sold it years ago.

He does have a house/studio here in Los Angeles. He recorded Neil Young's "Le Noise" album there.

I love Daniel Lanois. He's an amazing musician. But there are a few things. One, I've heard that there was a falling out during the NLOTH sessions. (Mostly w/Larry and Daniel).

I also feel that Eno and Lanois are too familiar with U2 and vice versa. I think U2 think that and hence their working with Jacknife Lee and Chris Thomas during HTDAAB.

Danger Mouse could be a great match. Looks like they are going to work on the next album with him. Time will tell.

I do agree that the idea of working with Rihanna (like Coldplay) or trying to use producers of the day... seems like not trusting their own better instincts.

In the end, U2 have been pretty good about being U2. I will leave it up to them. Hopefully, they are off 'dreaming it all up again'.

And 'I'm ready for what's next'

Every so often I am compelled to write something on what the next steps for U2 should be. With the re-release of Achtung Baby and the documentary, etc. there have been several vague quotes discussing what U2 will do or “not” do next from Bono himself.

I think we all know U2 will do something, in other words – they aren’t breaking up or merely ending on No Line…But, I think the quote which riles some of us up is the whole notion that U2 needs be relevant again by getting airplay, etc – yet, Bono would like to get lost in the music. If I had my way, and I were calling the shots: the points below would serve as some loose direction to the band AND perhaps truly inspire U2 to focus and/or get lost in the music.

1. First off, U2 have always wanted to appeal to the masses. AND TRUST ME, I get it. They have sold millions, they have done pretty much everything you can imagine. With so much accomplishment, it seems they are now consumed to staying relevant (maybe not with a 1# record, but they want to be a contemporary of the other pop artists and do damage. I just think they need to readjust what relevance is, and what musical legacy they want to still contribute to the world.
2. I would suggest they take a step back. They know they have the core audience locked in. Instead of going after pop charts, and Jay-Z, and Rihanna, etc. Why not try and appeal back to the crowd which they left? That is, the art, Pitchfork, savvy rock/more art side of the house. My opinion only, U2 could with the right production team – could write a serious album, still have some hooks, have the critics happy, play arena’s, and yet still capture the intimate yet serious grandeur of years past.
3. Before people scoff, when I say win over the critics – it means making another record from top to bottom, and letting the mastery of the sound they created shine through and appeal to a crowd that has long written them off. The song Soon was beautiful, Fez/Being Born, etc. If U2 could learn to just do the music for craft, and listen more to Danny Lanois – the world would be a better place.
4. I think they should tour arena’s. I think they should invite other indie artists (much like they did with Arcade Fire in 05’ and 06’) I would suggest bands like “The National and M83.” These bands have large tunes, and could be every bit as popular and are becoming more popular. It would be nice to see U2 interact with bands that want to do good records, art, yet still maintain the hooks with graceful albums that really touch the crowd that still like indie rock.
5. I would hire Lanois, I would use Eno as a consultant only. I think they should go to New Orleans or something and crank out a record with Danny at his studio. Let him be the zen master of tone that he is.
6. I would tell Bono to get rid of the modern shades, still wear the shades but perhaps go simple. Edge should wear his street clothes. In other words, the bedazzled stage pants have got to go.
7. Point 6 is relevant because if U2 is truly about the music, then I think the style of the band goes hand in hand with the demographic they are trying to hit. I want them to be graceful now and grow into that elder statesmen role.
8. When its music time, I would prefer if Bono could listen to his band for a prolonged time and dedicate himself to that craft and just keep an eye on the good deed stuff and limit interviews that do not discuss music.

the glasses are bono now. they aren't going anywhere.

i do think that the band are most hurt by the fact that throughout most of the recording process they are a trio without a lead singer. it gets worse and worse with each passing album. if they really want to create something special as musicians again, then bono needs to put the rest of the stuff he does aside and concentrate on the music and the music alone.

it's not the producer. it's not the location. it's the band.

Ahh, thanks for the info on the New Orleans studio. The LA studio where Danny did Neil Young would do nicely as well, some of the interviews for that record were great at the house.

Yeah...I agree, the glasses are Bono, I just wanted him to maybe get away from the Euro trash frames and adopt a scaled back look (if that is possible). The band think so much about style, it was just a silly thought really. You are right, the glasses are all him now.

I would be sad to hear if Larry and Danny had a falling out. It would seem those two were very close. Infact, we know Danny used to champion the self taught drummer with a unique style where he used him on some of the Emmy Lou Harris stuff I want to say. Danny always bolstered the odd playing of Larry it would seem. Hmmm. I know Lanois wanted them to ditch the middle part of No Line (as many of us did).

I can't imagine Lanois getting to mad. It would seem Lanois still does many an interview re: U2. I don't have a prob. with them working on w/ Danger Mouse. But while Lanois/Eno are well known with regard to the band and maybe "safe" at this rate, I don't think anyone gets sound better on records that Lanois for my money. Its oozes warmpth. Would be interesting if the band could work mainly w/ Lanois only and see where they get. Just a thought! ;)

U2 need to promote the music next time & not themselves. As many around here don't like ATYCLB I feel the promotion of that record was perfect. Coming off the Popmart the simple approach was refreshing and the songs were great live. GOYB was not promoting music by a band, it was promoting the U2 brand.

Next, U2 just needs to release the album without the flair. Put it out and have confidence. And put it out sooner than later. These 4-5 years between albums are too long.

I'm excited to hear the Danger Mouse material. It seems most of it is ready to go. And if the recording took place during the 360 Tour it should sound awesome. Band was playing great this tour.

the glasses are bono now. they aren't going anywhere.

i do think that the band are most hurt by the fact that throughout most of the recording process they are a trio without a lead singer. it gets worse and worse with each passing album. if they really want to create something special as musicians again, then bono needs to put the rest of the stuff he does aside and concentrate on the music and the music alone.

it's not the producer. it's not the location. it's the band.

:applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:

Bono did not have any other projects going on during the AB sessions. He needs to be in there from beginning to end. The four of them should put their lives on hold for a few months and just live in the studio. How can you get "lost in the music" when you keep surfacing again and again?

The LA studio where Danny did Neil Young...
Thanks for that mental image! :ohmy:

But seriously, I think ZooPop made some good points. Personally, when I think about U2 in the 2000s, it's not so much the music that bothers me (although there are some issues with that) as much as it's the over-exposure. I find myself missing the days of 1989-1991, and 1994-1997, and 1998-2000, when they seemed to completely disappear without trace. Entire musical movements came and went (well, almost) when U2 were out of sight, out of mind. When they reappeared, it was always refreshing to have them back. Nowadays, it's 5 years between albums but it feels like 5 months because there's no avoiding them.

I certainly agree -- less promotion, more music first.

Back
Top Bottom