What’s Your Name: How do you top Joshua Tree?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2BROTHR

Mirror Ball Man 2.0
Found this in today's paper in Toronto :)

What’s Your Name: How do you top Joshua Tree? - Parentcentral.ca

What's Your Name: How do you top Joshua Tree?

March 5, 2011

Kristin Rushowy
TORONTO STAR

When you name your first child Joshua Tree, it’s going to be a challenge finding something just as cool for baby No. 2.

Tanya Vidoni and Ed Valkovic knew the pressure was on.

Joshua Tree had been an easy choice; Valkovic, a huge U2 fan, had always wanted to use the name of the band’s hit album if he had a son.

He even mentioned it to Vidoni when they were just dating.

“He’d always thought of naming his son Joshua Tree — he just had to meet somebody who would let him do that,” jokes Vidoni.

Valkovic proposed to Vidoni at a U2 concert in Cleveland in December 2005, a year to the day they first met. (In fact, the couple had actually attended 10 U2 concerts together over the course of that year.)

At their wedding, their first dance was to a U2 song. A few months later, when they found they were having a baby, “It seemed a natural choice to put Joshua Tree at the top of our boys’ names list,” says Vidoni. “I thought it was a pretty cool name, and I knew he’d go through most of his life as Joshua; we don’t use his middle name as part of his name.”

Joshua, born June 13, 2007, even listened to a U2 lullaby CD before bed every night.

The couple decided against another U2 name for their second child, but “we had to give a name that’s interesting,” says Vidoni.

They both liked Charlie, for a girl or boy. Valkovic suggested Charlie Bucket — the character from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory — to which Vidoni replied: “Not going to happen.”

It took the couple two days after their daughter’s birth to settle on a middle name.

Charlie Rose Valkovic was born Sept. 30, 2009 at Credit Valley Hospital.

And they weren’t thinking of Charlie Rose, the popular U.S. broadcaster.

“We toyed with a few ideas and Rose just stuck and it worked,” says Vidoni. “And it counterbalanced the first name that is traditionally a boys’ name. With Rose being ultra-feminine on the other side, it sort of made sense.”

Their choice also has an added bonus.

“With Joshua having Tree, we thought let’s give her Rose and she’ll also be well-grounded like a plant.”

Did you recently have a baby and choose an interesting or unusual name? Email krushowy@thestar.ca

If I were a celebrity (and therefore able to give my children silly names and get away with it) and I had twin boys, I'd call them "Rattle" and "Hum". But they would hate me for it as soon as they entered school!

If I were a celebrity (and therefore able to give my children silly names and get away with it) and I had twin boys, I'd call them "Rattle" and "Hum". But they would hate me for it as soon as they entered school!

:lol:

And I was actually thinking there must be a kid named Joshua Tree, after sitting around in Civics hearing something about this kid called Joshua...I was right!

:shifty: I do kind of like David as a name....David Evans...

:huh:There's a U2 lullaby cd? Do they mean a cd they made of mellow U2 songs?:reject:

U2 - Music

9620_lrg.gif

After reading this story I told my girlfriend I'd like to name my first born son Drunken McGuinness.

Her response? "Maybe...we'll see."

That's a good one! :applaud:

Seriously though, my children have normal names and they are greatful. Neither one is in therapy. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom