What Popmart Regular Song Do You Miss The Most?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was going to say... did you have any ideas which song from Pop could lend itself to this idea, or would Please be the only one that has a shot in your opinion? We don't know what the tour would be like and everything, but it's worth the brainstorming in the meantime!

Valid points all-around, btw.

I think Please could make the most impact because it lends itself to theatrics best.

I think Gone is most likely to be played (not counting acoustic stuff like SATS.)

That said I'd go apeshit if they played Mofo or LNOE.

Pop and PopMart is my favorite album and tour, respectively, so it's hard to just pick one song that I miss. I can't believe they played a song from every album on 360 except Pop!

LNOE, Gone, Discotheque, and Mofo are my favorites. I love IFWSHA but it just never sounded right live. Edge's riff sounded more like SBS for some reason, and I never figured out why.

brooklynmike said:
I'll tell you what- if they do decide to bring a POP song back, they need to give it the Ultraviolet treatment. They need to go full force and make it stand out. It needs to grab you by the balls- light show, Bono singing and really selling it, etc..

The recurring theme in the popularity of the hits of the last decade are that when the songs are played live, Bono sells it. He's in the emotion. He's singing, jumping, playing, dramatizing.

In my opinion the the biggest reason POP and NLOTH were relative commercial let downs was that the songs didn't really lend themselves to the theatrics. Or, they made a conscious effort not to pull much theatrics. Most songs were sung pretty straightforward from the stage.

Ultraviolet is a pretty obscure song- you don't know it unless you're a committed fan. Same for Unforgettable Fire. (I don't know if it was big when it came out but it falls in the same obscure category as Ultraviolet now).

Ultraviolet got the "works". Awesome lighting, light jacket, steering wheel, band playing the shit out of it while Bono sold it.

UF just got a cool screen effect. No theatrics. Nothing selling it like UV.

UV stayed for almost a whole tour and got rave reviews. UF quietly disappeared.

If they play a song from POP I think Please could kick some ass as it did on POPMART. None of this acoustic stuff!

This is actually a really really good point. I never thought of this before, but I think there's at least some truth to it.

Just took a drive with the iPod on shuffle. MOFO from Chile came on. I raised the bass and pumped it. Man would I love to see it live again.

As for that Chile show, thumbs up for LNOE and UTEOTW. Awesome versions of both. Probably my favorite version of LNOE. Whaoooooh, it's el fin del mundo

Mofo, Gone... Please with the transition into Streets would be a life-defining experience to see live.

Every band has that album that they must largely disown in order to appease the perceived public opinion. RHCP have One Hot Minute, Coldplay have X&Y, Radiohead have Pablo Honey, REM have Up, Pearl Jam have No Code, etc. POP is that album for U2, unfortunately. It's a shame, because POP really is a fantastic album. I have a feeling that somebody they're going "FINISH" the album, and will make it much worse.

I think that the most beautiful song is: hold me, thrill me, kids me. And of course mofo is on of the best song of popmart

Back
Top Bottom