What is U2's most underrated song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, nothing is underrated in here, but out there, outside of U2 fandom, or even U2 gig attendance, it's going to pretty much be any of those second tier songs - ones that weren't a single, and thus not well known publicly - but U2 fans adore (for good reason) and consider as good or better than whatever other big, first tier songs that came from the same album. Anything like One Tree Hill, or Until the End of the World etc etc.

So, to kind of look at it that way - I think maybe I'd vote for Stay? It was a single, was 'given' to the larger public, yet didn't crossover in any way remotely close to the way many others have. I think that no matter where people in here rank it as a favourite, most would still acknowledge that it is absolutely one of their single best songs, yet 'out there' it wouldn't have 1/1000th the recognition or reputation of a With or Without You or One or two dozen others. So of course a never released deep track from a lesser selling album will be underrated, but for one of their best ever songs, released as a single during their peak period of popularity, Stay has gone mostly under the radar to a sort of criminal level. I mean, it deserves to be rated alongside the One's and With or Without You's, and it had every chance to be, but it's not - therefore, underrated.

Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me. Album-worthy, but a mere soundtrack song instead.

On an album, probably Please.

That said they were both singles. I guess we have to vote for a non-single ?

In that case, Running to stand still has to win. Beautiful lyric, U2 doing American music really, really well, and a good vocal.

Is it underrated by U2 themselves, by Interference/fans or by the general public?

Pretty much everything on October not named Gloria. I never hear anyone talk about anything from that album (Tomorrow gets brought up rarely). I recently listened to the whole thing with some good headphones on and it made me rage that they probably will never play 90% of that album ever again. I am cry. :sad:

Yes, nothing is underrated in here, but out there, outside of U2 fandom, or even U2 gig attendance, it's going to pretty much be any of those second tier songs - ones that weren't a single, and thus not well known publicly - but U2 fans adore (for good reason) and consider as good or better than whatever other big, first tier songs that came from the same album. Anything like One Tree Hill, or Until the End of the World etc etc.

So, to kind of look at it that way - I think maybe I'd vote for Stay? It was a single, was 'given' to the larger public, yet didn't crossover in any way remotely close to the way many others have. I think that no matter where people in here rank it as a favourite, most would still acknowledge that it is absolutely one of their single best songs, yet 'out there' it wouldn't have 1/1000th the recognition or reputation of a With or Without You or One or two dozen others. So of course a never released deep track from a lesser selling album will be underrated, but for one of their best ever songs, released as a single during their peak period of popularity, Stay has gone mostly under the radar to a sort of criminal level. I mean, it deserves to be rated alongside the One's and With or Without You's, and it had every chance to be, but it's not - therefore, underrated.

good post.

and there IS an underrated U2 song on these forums - Stranger in a Strange Land is hideously underrated on interference. and Shadows and Tall Trees probably is a bit as well. but that'd be it.

Trip Through Your Wires
So Cruel
Some Days Are Better Than Others
Flower Child
Hallelujah Here She Comes

And, outside of Interference, Mofo.

Pretty much everything on October not named Gloria. I never hear anyone talk about anything from that album (Tomorrow gets brought up rarely). I recently listened to the whole thing with some good headphones on and it made me rage that they probably will never play 90% of that album ever again. I am cry. :sad:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it to esp. 'I Fall Down'

But I am an old person, and this is when I first fell in love with U2, so I love all of the super old stuff.:wink:

Where The Streets Have No Name

this song fits perfectly with the 360 tour, they have to play it live!! It would be amazing!!

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom