What is U2's best 'rock' song ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As two other people noted, the Fly, of course.

I can't believe the Edge nominated 'Wonderwall' as his song of the nineties and thought The Fly hadn't aged well or some such nonsense. The Fly is pure, oozing sexy rock and roll. It's industrial, but at the same time it's Elvis. Fucking lightning in a bottle. And - here's the good part - it was the first single off Achtung Baby.

The Fly, definitely. That was I immediately thought of and I'm sticking by it. Rocks the fuck out from go to woah and not just that but carries emotional weight too.

My top 4 U2 songs of all time are:
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
The Unforgettable Fire
New Year's Day
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

So,
Out of those, HMTMKMKM fits the criteria of "rock song" the most I guess. But they're all technically rock really, depends how you look at it.

How has this thread gotten to 3 pages and nobody's mentioned Gloria? :tsk:

EDIT: Or 11 O'Clock Tick Tock. EYKIW, you're slipping.

are most of classic U2 songs from albums prior to Achtung mostly considered as "classic rock"?

They have become classic rock, but some have that unique U2 recipe of edge delay, atmospheric grandiosity that doesn't exist outside of a U2 song. Like Pride.

If you go back to my OP I posed the question if you were in an American Biker Bar and had to pick a U2 song from the jukebox that wouldn't get cut off or result in getting your ass kicked. I picked God Part II

I guess my reasoning is that it falls in line with the traditional harder rock heritage pre-U2. Stones, Zeppelin, Springsteen (Murder Incorporated), White Album Beatles. God Part II seems to draw from that musical DNA sprinkled with its own flavor and a little INXS mixed in. I'm not saying it's the best because I'm trying to disguise it but I find it to be more pure rock than anthem.

Until the End of the World makes a strong case especially live. It is more in U2s wheelhouse with Edges helicopter riff and lyrics. That's why it's still played to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

American bar, you say ?

Bullet the blue sky. Bonus points if it's a live version with the longer solo.

Back
Top Bottom