What is the stupidest decision U2 has ever made?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I nominate butchering Mercy.

When they played it live... right after (or before, can't remember) Bad, it was just so astonishing, I was floating above my own body during the first verse...

And then I went to start singing the pre-chorus and it wasn't there.

Four years on from that night I still can't get BECAUSE! BECAUSE! BECAUSE! out of my head.

Please, make your nominations. Once we have enough we can do a poll, and the winner shall take home the coveted Nick66-U2girl-LastUnicorn trophy.

:angry::angry::angry:

I hate when people write "off of". The "of" is completely superfluous. GAF does it all the time.

But thank you for your nomination, that was a very stupid decision indeed.

Add scrapping the "ripping the stitches" part to that. I still miss it whenever I randomly hear the live version.

But it is not the stupidest thing they ever did.

In A Little While

This song has been played 150 times as full song or snippet.

I rest my case.

Or playing ANY song acoustic live. Special mentions for Stay and Suck in a moment. But yeah, now I'm thinking of it.... none of the acoustic tracks ever worked, the guitar only of last tour with the new songs was nice, but god, someone please burn those acoustic guitars before the start of the next tour!

Thank you for your nomination, Galeongirl2. That was also a very stupid decision, and has all but wiped away any love anyone ever had for that song. Thankfully Joey Ramone died long before that Boston gig on the DVD, and looooooong before he was (de)immortalised in a terrible song with a horrible title.

I hate when people write "off of". The "of" is completely superfluous. GAF does it all the time.

But thank you for your nomination, that was a very stupid decision indeed.

They're interchangeable for me, depending on my mood. Note that "off of" is typically an Americanism that has been deemed superfluous elsewhere. In the US, I would say it's non-standard in academia but goes by unnoticed in any other context.

RANDOM GRAMMAR TALK

Releasing Stand Up Comedy.

Unknown Caller's chorus.

Boots as a lead single.

Jesus, the NLOTH era is a fucking goldmine for this.

Well, that explains my hatred of it. Specifically why I bought the Australian version of Cards Against Humanity.

Now, back to 'Stupid Things U2 Has Done'

Releasing Stand Up Comedy.

Unknown Caller's chorus.

Boots as a lead single.

Jesus, the NLOTH era is a fucking goldmine for this.

These are great nominations, thank you.

BonoEyeliner.jpg

Staying together after the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack.

Snippets and codas.

Never playing Wake Up Dead Man in anything resembling full.

Never (ever?) playing All I Want Is You in full. You know, full full.

Guyliner Bono didn't impact U2 from a musical perspective, but it deserves mention because seriously has Bono ever looked like more of a tool?

Snippets and codas.

Never playing Wake Up Dead Man in anything resembling full.

Never (ever?) playing All I Want Is You in full. You know, full full.

Snippets/codas as in only playing snippets/codas of their own songs?

Cos the snippets/codas of other songs have always been quite a nice feature of the U2 eXPeRieNCe I feel.

But yes, those are both great exaaaahhhhmples. I'm sure Bono would get to antsy as the full full version of All I Want is You came to an end.

Staying together after the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack.

I personally don't agree with this (I would never have become a fan at all :sad:) but as a neutral arbiter I accept your nomination. Thank you. It is doubtless one others share.

So many contenders here; releasing the Super Bowl video this year with no album to follow, "selling" the album SOI to Apple and letting them give it away for free, this current tour they are embarking on, not having the good sense to follow Paul McGuinness into retirement, NLOTH (save for a few songs), Mercy (as mentioned above), Letting 'Boy falls from the sky' become a Spiderman song, Spiderman the musical, the whole tax scheme, Bono and the bicycle, ETC.

I personally don't agree with this (I would never have become a fan at all :sad:) but as a neutral arbiter I accept your nomination. Thank you. It is doubtless one others share.

"Neutral arbiter"? Are you drunk?

Allowing Leo to be seen in public.

I missed this whole Leo thing, I was away.

So many contenders here; releasing the Super Bowl video this year with no album to follow, "selling" the album SOI to Apple and letting them give it away for free, this current tour they are embarking on, not having the good sense to follow Paul McGuinness into retirement, NLOTH (save for a few songs), Mercy (as mentioned above), Letting 'Boy falls from the sky' become a Spiderman song, Spiderman the musical, the whole tax scheme, Bono and the bicycle, ETC.

Some good nominations here.

"Neutral arbiter"? Are you drunk?

What the fuck is wrong with that phrase? And yes I most definitely am drunk. I am currently drinking Baileys.

Letting Larry have a say in ANYTHING.

Fantastic nomination.

Releasing that demo version of Twilight as Another Day's b-side rather than the song they originally recorded for that purpose, The Dream Is Over.

1) Boots as lead single.
2) "Forcing" SOI on people. (I know, it wasn't really forced, but they should have seen the bad publicity coming.)
3) The giant publicity campaign in early 2014 that led nowhere.
4) Crumbs From Your Table
5) Helter Skelter opening R&H

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

In the grand scheme of things, the PopMart press conference was probably their biggest misstep. Lots of folks didn't "get' the whole K-Mart joke and that greatly affected ticket sales for the tour.

While Boots wasn't a wise choice for a lead single, at least it didn't affect the all-important ticket sales. 360 was the highest grossing tour ever.

Folks might not have liked how SOI was released, but the tour has sold out, so who gives a flying fuck?

Plenty of artists release stand alone singles. Invisible is a good song and the proceeds went to a good cause.

This K-Mart thing is so grossly overstated around here, especially from the perspective of somebody who isn't American.

Snippets/codas as in only playing snippets/codas of their own songs?

Cos the snippets/codas of other songs have always been quite a nice feature of the U2 eXPeRieNCe I feel.

But yes, those are both great exaaaahhhhmples. I'm sure Bono would get to antsy as the full full version of All I Want is You came to an end.

Yeah, of their own songs. I'm not talking about the (often extremely effective) allusions they've made to other mainline rock & roll artists, but when they sort of kind of start to play one of their own songs but don't bother really doing it. Just a coda.

Boots as the lead single i think. Killed the relevent radio friendly u2 off.theve never and never will recover from it

Back
Top Bottom