What is the stupidest decision U2 has ever made?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, we were very lucky indeed. They have only done a few true acoustic numbers maybe Drowning Man and AMAAW.

While I'm not against U2 going acoustic, I prefer to hear Edge's electric guitar. Since Achtung Baby, they're not really the type of band you'd need to hear acoustic. 80's U2 would have been better suited for it if anything.

Allowing Bono to ride a bike? Remember that picture of Bono riding in Nice (I think), where he's riding a bike in sandals and calf length socks, I wonder if he was wearing the same sandals which caused him to crash.... the man's a menace.

there's no need for the quotes -- it is universally beloved, and considered one of the great musicals of the past 10 years, if not the entire 21st century.

I don't think there's a lot of people outside the US that knows about this play, so universally beloved might be exaggerated.

I don't think there's a lot of people outside the US that knows about this play, so universally beloved might be exaggerated.

Olivier Awards 2014

Hurray! The Book of MormonWON FOUR Laurence Olivier Awards!The show scooped the title for Best New Musical, leading actor Gavin Creel won Best Actor in a Musical for his role as Elder Price, Stephen Ashfield won Best Supporting Role in a Musical and Casey Nicholaw won for Best Choreography.

try again

Don't think I would call anything 'stupid' but the most ill judged move they ever made was booking venues for POPMart without the album being finished.
Results: a relative mess of an album, sub par shows at the start of the tour and basically half a decade wasted.

I agree with you about booking the tour before the album was finished. They painted themselves into a corner. U2 made a number of mistakes in relation to Pop, but it was arguably their most ambitious project. For them, it was go big or go home and they at least stuck it out. I can't say half a decade was wasted. Pop was a good album and once U2 got into the groove, the tour turned into a success. Plus, they were also able to play Sarajevo which took a lot of balls on their part.

Plus, they were also able to play Sarajevo which took a lot of balls on their part.

The war was over by that point, so the only thing it took was to get that huge stage over there. They kept their promise after all.

They're interchangeable for me, depending on my mood. Note that "off of" is typically an Americanism that has been deemed superfluous elsewhere. In the US, I would say it's non-standard in academia but goes by unnoticed in any other context.

RANDOM GRAMMAR TALK

not as bad as saying "waiting on line." It's IN, not ON, unless you're actually standing on a line. Or "ATM machine." Possibly the stupidest decision U2 have made, because it's a stupid thing to say, and I doubt that the six intelligent, well spoken men who made that song would ever say ATM machine.

Possibly the stupidest decision U2 have made, because it's a stupid thing to say, and I doubt that the six intelligent, well spoken men who made that song would ever say ATM machine.

ATM machine just works better lyrically. Plus, I've heard plenty of people say ATM machine. (Not me of course. :wink:)

For example, I can't get no satisfaction works better than I can't get any satisfaction.

not as bad as saying "waiting on line." It's IN, not ON, unless you're actually standing on a line. Or "ATM machine." Possibly the stupidest decision U2 have made, because it's a stupid thing to say, and I doubt that the six intelligent, well spoken men who made that song would ever say ATM machine.

"ATM machine" as redundant as it is, is still a very widely used colloquialism, so that line has never bothered my much. Natural speak will often trump proper grammar, especially in music. I've never understood why people get their britches in a bunch over this, especially to the point of calling it their "possibly stupidest decision".

True, but the region was still in turmoil and it wasn't just another gig on the tour.

The region was not in nearly as much "turmoil" at that point in time as it was before, with the one notable exception of Kosovo. It was safe to play there, as the concert showed. And it would have been safe to play in other countries of the region.

"ATM machine" as redundant as it is, is still a very widely used colloquialism, so that line has never bothered my much. Natural speak will often trump proper grammar, especially in music. I've never understood why people get their britches in a bunch over this, especially to the point of calling it their "possibly stupidest decision".

Exactly!

Plus, Cobbie has already decreed that Bono changing the lyrics to the live version of Mercy was their "stupidest decision ever".

I can live with that because I've never really given a shit about Mercy in the first place. I like the studio version, but it stayed off a proper album for a reason.

is saying "nucular" also acceptable because it's common? ATM machine is stupid regardless of common it is (same with PIN number). That just means there are a lot of dummies out there.

pizza pie will feature on SOE, mark my words.

Back
Top Bottom