What if we had the Internet in the 80's? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 04:50 AM
What if we had the Internet in the 80's?

Ok so maybe I'm showing my age, but remember back in the day when all we had was Propaganda? Star Hits magazine (USA) Smash Hits and pen-pals to 'talk' about our favorite band(s)?

Has the internet made you a better fan of U2 or music in general?

Me? I can only imagine the time suckage this would be if I we're 17/18 and had the internet at the time. I probably would not have graduated

partygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirl43 View Post
Ok so maybe I'm showing my age, but remember back in the day when all we had was Propaganda? Star Hits magazine (USA) Smash Hits and pen-pals to 'talk' about our favorite band(s)?

Me? I can only imagine the time suckage this would be if I we're 17/18 and had the internet at the time. I probably would not have graduated
I'm 15 now... I don't know how I maintain decent grades with the time I spend on here.

digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:50 AM
we technically did, at least. though websites and such weren't around till the 90s. i remember someone making a thread recently linking to what usenet members thought of the fly when it came out. i lolled. (especially since even back then, i loved it. no really.)
Old 01-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirl43 View Post

It has and it has not. Thanks to the internet and through fan sites like this, I have been exposed to bands that I would not have been if I just had the radio to rely on. When I first joined this website, I was all about getting my hands on every single thing about U2. I think my obsessiveness and the ease of obtaining music and information about bands such as U2 may have killed my desire to know everything about U2. I no longer have the same interest that I did when I joined this site back in 2001. I have know idea when the new U2 album will be released.
MissVelvetDress_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:50 AM
I'd probably not have played sports, spent all my time indoors, never met girls, and been a social recluse.

Thank God I saved that for when I was married and in my 30's.

JOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:50 AM
We would have had a Red Rocks setlist party. oh yeah.
RedRocksU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:22 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Location: At Tim Horton's with Kristen and Val talking about Tan Adam and fashion disasters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
I'm 15 now... I don't know how I maintain decent grades with the time I spend on here.
Same here.
Bonogirl777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:34 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
The Scarlet Crack.

...and Be There would be our Mercy!

I think the internet has exposed me to more artists and rare songs but I'm not sure that would make me a better fan.
Screwtape2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:12 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
I still manage to get high grades, I am some sort of freak.
Vlad n U 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:30 AM   #10
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:50 AM
I would say the internet has killed the magic that used to surround a new u2 release back in the day. There used to be a lot more excitement surrounding the release of the likes of JT, R&H and AB on radio. Used to get u2 day when they released stuff....and would have mega competitions etc. And was exciting tuning in to hear the first plays of the new songs. Used to have to wait most of the day to hear them all, as the stations would play maybe 2-3 song on each DJs shows. The internet has taken the shine away.
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:38 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:20 PM
Yeah, well, the internet has killed a lot of magic.
The Sad Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:04 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:50 AM
In the 80s, I didn't even have a computer, I was typing on an old typewriter and I was actually reading a lot of books, something I hardly find time to do today. And there were actually music videos played on MTV. Oh the good old times
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:17 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 08:50 PM
Definitely agree with the last 2 comments that internet has killed the magic.

Back in the 80s I used to get Rolling Stone, Smash Hits, NME, Juke, Melody Maker etc every week/month hoping for a sniff of U2 information and get SO excited if there was a snippet mentioning U2 (and other bands I liked) recording new material, touring etc.

And music would often just turn up on the radio or at record stores without notice and without beach clips months/years earlier.

Pre internet the best way to get release dates early was ICE magazine but that only gave 3 months notice and was sometimes wrong. We'd have to beg our local record stores for release info. There was mystery and excitement about it.

On the other hand, a big upside of the internet it the ability to trial albums & bands before handing over your hard earned cash. I still buy around 5 albums per month, just like I did 20 years ago. But now I never buy duds.
chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:43 AM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 07:50 PM
15? Dear God do I feel old, hahah
kennerado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:09 AM   #15
Refugee

I think my resort to the internet for U2 stuff coincided with my declining excitement with U2, which was around 1999, but didn't really kick in until 2004, when Bono really got my hopes up and I realized they'd been dashed about a month of listening to HTDAAB and I realized I'd been duped by lies.

In a way, though, I'm very glad about the internet because it has allowed me to find out stuff about releases and such. I remember in high school, I'd be waiting on the next U2 or Cure record and have absolutely no sense of when they were coming out. I'd see some news that it was planned for a certain date and constantly go to the store. The web was around; I just didn't know how to use it. I remember hearing the new Cure album was coming out October 1995, so I'd keep popping by every few weeks. Finally, I heard a friend mock the new video; that was 6 months later. The not knowing was grueling, but my expectations were lower for news.

I'd record everything I could find.

In a way, it's the failure of traditional music media like Much Music/MTV and print media (Rolling Stone being more focussed on Britney Spears and gossip) that pushed me and I suspect a lot of fans onto the web. If they hadn't abrogated their responsibility, we wouldn't have turned to alternative media and youtube and stuff.

You can't even find VJs who are reasonably smart at interviewing anymore. It's tragic.

Europe still has great music interviewers though.
Muldfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:01 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I wish I grew up in the 80's...

I love my cell phone/itouch/internets/youtube

BUT I HATE IT AT THE SAME TIME!
OrARoundabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:56 PM   #17
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
We would have had a Red Rocks setlist party. oh yeah.

Yeah, that would be THE BEST!!!!
partygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:00 PM   #18
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:50 AM
It wouldn't matter cause I was born in the 90's
MMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:10 PM   #19
Refugee

I think the internet has changed things. it's not necessarily worse or better.

It was great to be able to watch U2's first webcam in the early days of U2.com and feel the excitement if you spotted something / someone moving in the studio.

Now I can talk to people who share the same interest with me, in a way I never could before.

But it would be shame if interent downloads totally replaced hard copies of albums. To me, that's part of what it's all about.
Ellay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:25 PM   #20
Refugee

If we had the internet in the 80ies? Then here 'BOY', 'OCTOBER', 'WAR' fans would have bashed the "new U2 direction", U2 took with 'THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE' and 'THE JOSHUA TREE' and vice versa. Of course both groups would have slagged off 'RATTLE AND HUM' and would have blamed them of "sell-out" and "betraying their fans"

ZOOTVTOURist is offline   Reply With Quote