What if we had the Internet in the 80's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If we had the internet in the 80ies? Then here 'BOY', 'OCTOBER', 'WAR' fans would have bashed the "new U2 direction", U2 took with 'THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE' and 'THE JOSHUA TREE' and vice versa. Of course both groups would have slagged off 'RATTLE AND HUM' and would have blamed them of "sell-out" and "betraying their fans" :wink:

And "Boy" fans would then feel duped by the band or Bono after listening to "October" for a month and felt they were "lied to". :rolleyes:

Having been born well before the 80's, I saw the internet grow.

I had friends in the 80's who were online, but it was awkward and not something readily accessible. Most people didn't see the need for a home computer back then either.

With the 90's came faster computers, better and more accessible software, and, of course, the internet. The combination sparked people to get computers. Now we can't imagine our lives without one. With the advent of smart phones, we essentially have a computer with us at all times!

So what did the 'net do?

I get the comments that say some mystery is gone. U2's "mystique" was a bit of their image - at least in the late 80's. We wanted to know more, but there wasn't that outlet to dig up all we could. They controlled their image very well.

But at the same time, U2 didn't really want that "mystique" either. They didn't want gossip about wild parties, but they also didn't want to be perceived as inaccessible. Hence, the 'net played right into what U2 was seeking. It allowed fans a new way to connect - and U2 always wanted that.

As a fan, it allowed me to obtain rare items. When I was a newbie to real collecting, I remember grossly over-bidding for a bootleg! LOL! Now I know it was worth a fraction of what I paid. Lesson learned and fast. But back then, eBay didn't even exist! U2 fans sold things on "newsgroups" like alt.music.u2.

The 'net allowed me to collect and learn more. And for that I'm very happy.

For a while, though, there was also the downside. The 'net provides anonimity which allowed for "battles" online. That is, people had no problems acting like jerks online, hiding behind a computer screen. But I learned for those too and avoid such silly confrontations. Still, there was a time where I felt the worst thing about U2 was the fans! :sexywink:

The 'net and computers have advanced to the point where I now think U2 are behind the curve. While their website continues to improve, offering downloads, goodies, movies, etc., their pattern for new music remains the same. This may also be part of the reason for softer sales for NLOTH.

As such, it may be time for U2 to change how they market. Tour BEFORE the album is released. Get fans excited for the new music, when it's mixed in with the old. Then release the album. Use iTunes to its fullest extent - offer discounts. Buy a single and get a free b-side! Buy the album and get another U2 item at a discount. U2 have started to explore this, but not enough. Keep it going!

If I were U2, I wouldn't even bother with music videos. Stations don't play them any more. If anything, make one for the lead single, then that's it. U2 have had some great videos with WITS and GOYB, but only fans have seen them. Save the effects for the concert - U2 are WAY ahead of the curve there, so keep that stuff going.

Bottom line, 'net is good. And if you want "mystery" just avoid reading about U2 online. :)

[...]I didn't listen to the NLOTH leak. Was I unbelievably curious? Hellz yeah. But I wanted that experience that I missed out on, being born when I was. I refused to listen to a single song (except Boots which had been released) until I had the album IN my hands on March 3rd. [...] I've tried my best to recreate that sort of fan experience on my own, but it isn't the same.

That being said...the internet amazes me nearly every day, because it connects us all over the world. I mean, without forums like these, it would be infinitely harder to make friends with fans who live all over the place. I can't overestimate the value that function has had for me. It's given me friends that understand me!! Going to sound sappy here, but I think U2 have an amazing ability to bring their fans together. The internet has been a very helpful middle man for that.
[...]

I just couldn't agree more with you :)

As a fan, it allowed me to obtain rare items. When I was a newbie to real collecting, I remember grossly over-bidding for a bootleg! LOL! Now I know it was worth a fraction of what I paid. Lesson learned and fast. But back then, eBay didn't even exist! U2 fans sold things on "newsgroups" like alt.music.u2.
oh god, yes. i wasn't on in the 80s or anything cool like that, but i remember buying bootlegs when i first started using the internet. and for other bands i liked (though i know this existed for u2 as well), buying vhs tapes of music videos, etc. these days i could just make a dvd. :doh:

what's amazing to think is that as great as the technology available is now, it will only get better as the years progress. i remember back in 1997, my dad had software where he could take video off a vhs tape and put it online. i never watched him do it (seeing as it was for his job), but i can imagine it took much longer than it would take these days to rip from a dvd and upload on youtube or something.

i know people that were "online" in 1991, (they didn't even use that term), but what was "online" in like 1988?

@popacrobat....

You're telling me....When I saw this thread back again..I couldn't remember posting it--I was like I know I just didn't post this:hmm:

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom