What do you think are some fun U2 driving songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theedgeu2

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond th
I love driving to some U2 songs and I wanted to hear what some of you think are the great U2 songs while driving. I've found that Discotheque is one of my favorites. It's so fun and the bass in the song is great! And so is Elevation (2005 Live from Milan). They both make me feel great! WTSHNN isn't bad either. So what are your opinions?:D

there's a whole bunch..... i'll pick my favorite because of a traveling experience

In God's Country
it's a beautiful song but for mw it's Edge's Guitar work that propels this one into the stratosphere!

Edge's mid to high note chording And then the Very high notes downward cascading at the end-- clear, sparkling expansive in feeling
for me absolutely match the Magic when I and a friend were driving/heading towards Monument Valley... in the high desert of Arizona

We suddenly topped a hill and there way ahead of us in the clear bright air was a 1000 foot (about 100 stories high) high volcano plug -that is all the other rock had had been weathered away with only the hardened lava in the center remanning .

It's called Agatha (navajo name) Peak.

When I first heard IGC and catching some of the lyrics ( desert rose) put me right back there!

Beautiful Day is my favorite, while driving. It is upbeat, yet relaxing. I also, love In God's Country. Especially, when I drive by the horse farms.

there's a whole bunch..... i'll pick my favorite because of a traveling experience

In God's Country
it's a beautiful song but for mw it's Edge's Guitar work that propels this one into the stratosphere!

Edge's mid to high note chording And then the Very high notes downward cascading at the end-- clear, sparkling expansive in feeling
for me absolutely match the Magic when I and a friend were driving/heading towards Monument Valley... in the high desert of Arizona

We suddenly topped a hill and there way ahead of us in the clear bright air was a 1000 foot (about 100 stories high) high volcano plug -that is all the other rock had had been weathered away with only the hardened lava in the center remanning .

It's called Agatha (navajo name) Peak.

When I first heard IGC and catching some of the lyrics ( desert rose) put me right back there!

This sounds beautiful and what a perfect place to here that song.

Hold Me Thrill Me...
Until the End of the World
Get on your boots
Vertigo
MOFO
In Gods Country
I Will Follow
Ultraviolet

I Will Follow and Elevation come to mind immediately. The live remix of Crazy Tonight off of Artificial Horizon has also been getting a bit of airplay on my way to work as of late...

I live in Washington state which has very diverse scenery, and when driving the 300 miles across it which i have done many times, U2 is always a must.
We have the magestic mountains on the west side of the state ( In God's Country is perfect in the mountains and Window in the Skies and Magnificant are more mountain favs driving over the pass. The middle part of the state just calls for the magestice Joshua Tree especially streets when crossing over the Columbia River and looking at the high desert plains... it's just the most transcendant feeling. JT was made for this landscape.:heart:

Also, So Cruel is the perfect driving at night along the beach....
howling at the moon kind of song!! AAAAAAAAAAA ooooooooooooOOOO love... :lol: sober ofcourse.

I generally depends on my mood and the time (day or night) but I would say generally most of JT, half of R&H, and many of the related B sides. Something about the vibe of the music of that era is perfect for driving. Especially in "open" areas. In God's Country, TTYW, Spanish Eyes...I love to drive to those :)

I think Hawkmoon is particularly good for night driving...especially when the weather is nice and you can have the windows down! :drool:

Some songs from Pop (Discotheque, DYFL, LNOE...) are good for driving when the sun is shining, too.

I actually think about this concept a lot, haha. I drive a lot.

I would have to guess that driving to COBL at night in a big city would be cool? I don't know cause I don't live in a city.

:yes: While driving through NYC :drool:

I also always listen to New York when driving in the city (lame, I know), and OOTS. The only reason the last one makes sense is because the first time I ever heard that song, I was riding in the car in the city :lol:

LIKE A SONG.

I literally stomp on the gas when that song comes on. That song is like a speeding drug for me! I cue it up so that the intro is happening when I'm on the on-ramp, and when the song kicks in I'm punching it to merge with past traffic.

Also, Do You Feel Loved is another adrenaline surge for me while driving. And Wire.

No road trip is complete without a start to finish listen through UF and JT, however.

Surrender when I engage the cruise control.

Fred Faulke or Redanka Magnificent for dancing behind the wheel (to the extent that one can do this safely, of course ;) )

(so yeah, a few U2 + driving faves :rockon: )

I literally stomp on the gas when that song comes on. That song is like a speeding drug for me! I cue it up so that the intro is happening when I'm on the on-ramp, and when the song kicks in I'm punching it to merge with past traffic.

:ohmy: Other people coordinate the songs with speed?! :hi5:

Haha I love cueing the songs so that they go along with the drive. I try to cue Stay with when I merge onto the highway on the way home. It takes me 30 minutes to drive from school to home, so yeah I can get a lot of U2 in on the way to and fro.:D Also I like driving to live U2. Especially the PopMart from Mexico City bootleg I have. Really works well for driving.

I learned to not drive to Breathe after going to a concert! Since they opened with that song it got me really excited and so I started speeding... I like driving to the Joshua Tree but really all of there songs are perfect to drive to (bonus points if you know all the words!).

I have gotten into "Fast Cars" off of the Artificial Horizon CD....other than that I play almost all of Achtung Baby!

Put on Joshua Tree while I was driving through the California desert last year, and I feel like if there is any place on earth that its meant to be played, its there.

LIKE A SONG.

Also, Do You Feel Loved is another adrenaline surge for me while driving. And Wire.

No road trip is complete without a start to finish listen through UF and JT, however.

Fred Faulke or Redanka Magnificent for dancing behind the wheel (to the extent that one can do this safely, of course ;) )

I can see Like a Song being a good one. The Faulke mix of Magnificent has actually been getting a lot of driving play with me as well as of late.

LAST NIGHT ON EARTH.....I feel like I'm running away :hyper:

The Live in Mexico City version is a terrific one for road trips too.

LIKE A SONG.

I agree with this and just about everything else posted in this entire thread!

JT is definitely the best U2 material to drive to, especially Trip Through, Streets and In God's Country.

I think the people who mentioned Pop and specifically DYFL, MOFO and live versions of LNOE are right on as well!

I tend to drive a bit faster during some: Like A Song, Gloria(don't ask why, don't know), I Will Follow, Desire and any live version of Until The End of the World. Nothing beats the time I got so into "Holy Joe"(the good version, closer to the KMart performance) and "Last Night On Earth" from Mexico back to back, looked up and saw the speedometer at 105! This was in my Dad's(now mine) Acura which rides on air and you don't feel speed if you climb up there slowly.

Ultraviolet is also awesome to drive to- like, in the middle of the night, on a highway in Vermont, slightly foggy, only car on the road. Its just magical- I've always pictured the headlights in the fog lighting up the road as the "ultraviolet" light. Actually, the last 3 songs of AB are all great to drive to when in the right mindset- a kind of dark foreboding to them with a hint of hope to come.

I have so many fond memories of driving the 225 miles between school and home and knocking off a bootleg or 2 each way, or JT B-sides or AB.

I have converted many a friend to U2 fandom by telling them "I'm going to put in a live show now, and whatever you think of these guys coming in, if you are not entirely blown away, we'll stop when the show is over and I'll buy dinner wherever you want, don't be stingy."

Safe to say, I never bought dinner, they bought albums. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom